Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  84-87 rear spindle - why not swap out for a newer GM FWD spindle w/ large brakes? (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
84-87 rear spindle - why not swap out for a newer GM FWD spindle w/ large brakes? by qwikgta
Started on: 05-22-2020 11:39 AM
Replies: 54 (2316 views)
Last post by: Will on 06-04-2020 09:39 AM
mender

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2020 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for menderSend a Private Message to menderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sourmash:

Trying to wrap my head around this as a newb. Thank you for the tutorial and hope I understand this.

1. The top of the tube has a nut welded into it that the bolt through the tie rod hole threads into.
2. The hole was for a long bolt that I used as the lower ball joint pinch bolt for the trial fit. A nut was welded into the end of the horizontal tube so that the regular pinch bolt can hold the tube in place.

The long bolt allowed me to adjust the angle of the vertical tube. Once I was satisfied with the location of the outer toe link hole in reference to the centre of the lower ball joint, I tacked the top nut in place. I then took the long bolt out and welded the pinch bolt nut in place and finished the weld on the top nut.

Here's an end view showing the alignment of the outer toe link hole with the centre of the lower ball joint. The angle was quite close to what I was hoping to see, making for a fairly simple piece.

[This message has been edited by mender (edited 05-27-2020).]

IP: Logged
jb1

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2020 03:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jb1Send a Private Message to jb1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used Pontiac Transport uprights with caddy hubs rotors and calipers.. need to change to the larger ball joint and tierod ends, other than that pretty much bolt on... The Seville rear calipers should be bolt on.

------------------
3800sc plug and play harnesses for sale.

85GT Northstar/ 4t80e
Northstar Rebuild

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2020 03:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jb1:

I used Pontiac Transport uprights with caddy hubs rotors and calipers.. need to change to the larger ball joint and tierod ends, other than that pretty much bolt on... The Seville rear calipers should be bolt on.

The 84 to 87 have options... There is almost nothing that can be done for 88s.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2020 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The later model TransSport knuckles use the same brakes as the front of an LT1 4th Gen F-Body.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 06-04-2020).]

qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2020 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[i][/i]

So the front struts (transport) bolt up and no issues with the rear geometry (Fiero)? When you check the part # it seams that similar year buick, pontiac, olds and chevy mid size cars use the same spindle, but I have not seen any threads with folks doing 3800 engine swaps using the spindle and hubs on swaps. If these parts fit the 84-87 year cars why are we not seeing more use? Also, the hub uses a 5x115 bolt pattern and again, I have not seen a lot of talk about folks swapping these spindles/hubs for a easy rim upgrade. Do I just need to do a better job reading old threads?

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 05-30-2020).]

qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2020 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

qwikgta

4659 posts
Member since Jan 2001

Originally posted by jscott1:

The 84 to 87 have options... There is almost nothing that can be done for 88s.

Its my opinion that is because the 88 rear spindle was an attempt to create a RWD spindle using FWD McPherson strut tech. You're not going to find any other FWD cars using the hybrid FWD/RWD tech that the 88s use. While the 88 is more like a true RWD spindle than the early years, it still uses that dam strut. Look at the Corvette and Viper they use a FWD spindle in the rear just like the 84-87 cars, but they machined the top to accept a tierod, and an actual control arm. Not sure of the exotic Mid-Engine cars, im sure they use something that is truly a RWD spindle but no way I can afford those parts anyway. I know that some of the more skilled of us have machined or modified strut spindles to accept control arms, but they are the exception and will never offer what they have done for sale. Too much liability.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2020 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

[i][/i]
So the rear struts bolt up and no issues with the rear geometry? When you check the part # it seams that similar year buick, pontiac, olds and chevy mid size cars use the same spindle, but I have not seen any threads with folks doing 3800 engine swaps using the spindle and hubs on swaps. If these parts fit the 84-87 year cars why are we not seeing more use? Also, the hub uses a 5x115 bolt pattern and again, I have not seen a lot of talk about folks swapping these spindles/hubs for a easy rim upgrade. Do I just need to do a better job reading old threads?

There are the front struts, installed in the rear of the Fiero.

Originally posted by Fog:
1993-1995 Pontiac trans sport/Chevrolet lumina APV/Oldsmobile shilouette with 3800 engines used wheel bearings that had the same 33-spline receiver. Now, Using only the bearings inside a Fiero spindle would require milling, but instead, I used the whole spindle.
That had another problem. The Fiero ball joint was too small, so I measured the whole lower control arms, and they Fitted.

So all I wanted was 33 spline wheel bearings, but to have that without milling, I changed out lower control arm, outer tie rod end and spindle.

Bonus is, that I gained big vented rotors with 52mm calipers for brakes also. Also, minivan bolt circle is 5x115 witch is close enough to use Ford wheels(5x4.5" = 5x114.7).
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post05-29-2020 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, there's another approach I hadn't read about before. Dustbuster vans still show up in the one yard I go to, but I can't remember the last time a 6000/Cutlass wagon was there.
mender

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2020 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for menderSend a Private Message to menderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.car-part.com/cg...indle&sessionID=1300

Go to page 17 for the lowest prices.

[This message has been edited by mender (edited 05-30-2020).]

qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2020 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

There are the front struts, installed in the rear of the Fiero.

Sorry, fixed my sloppy question.

[This message has been edited by qwikgta (edited 05-30-2020).]

qwikgta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2020 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

qwikgta

4659 posts
Member since Jan 2001

Originally posted by fieroguru:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fog:
1993-1995 Pontiac trans sport/Chevrolet lumina APV/Oldsmobile shilouette with 3800 engines used wheel bearings that had the same 33-spline receiver. Now, Using only the bearings inside a Fiero spindle would require milling, but instead, I used the whole spindle.
That had another problem. The Fiero ball joint was too small, so I measured the whole lower control arms, and they Fitted.

So all I wanted was 33 spline wheel bearings, but to have that without milling, I changed out lower control arm, outer tie rod end and spindle.

Bonus is, that I gained big vented rotors with 52mm calipers for brakes also. Also, minivan bolt circle is 5x115 witch is close enough to use Ford wheels(5x4.5" = 5x114.7).
[/QUOTE]

OK, so this is probably a known thing with the early year cars. Since I haven't owned one in 25+ years, I was not following this. I'll be looking into getting the lower CA, spindle, rotor and caliper from a dustbuster w/ 3800. Great info.
PFF
System Bot
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2020 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCREdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

OK, so this is probably a known thing with the early year cars. Since I haven't owned one in 25+ years, I was not following this. I'll be looking into getting the lower CA, spindle, rotor and caliper from a dustbuster w/ 3800. Great info.

It's been quite a while since I looked, but I recall that the vans were even heavier than the 6000 uprights. They were massive in comparison to the Fiero pieces. I ended up finding a Celebrity wagon at the time. (same as 6000). I would call those intermediate duty, with the Fiero being light and the the vans being heavy duty.

Bob
mender

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2020 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for menderSend a Private Message to menderEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A couple of pictures on here, looks like more metal on the dustbuster spindle:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sp...-95-96-/292866971565

There are lots of the P6000 spindles around still, just need to find them.
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2020 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

The later model TransSport knuckles use the same brakes as the front of an LT1 3rd Gen F-Body.

the LT1 wasn't offered in the 3rd gen, only the 4th gen from 1993-1997.

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

cognita semper

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/119122.html

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2020 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ericjon262:

the LT1 wasn't offered in the 3rd gen, only the 4th gen from 1993-1997.

D-oh. Fixed.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock