Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  What does "Ignition" mean for Instrument Cluster Wiring?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
What does "Ignition" mean for Instrument Cluster Wiring? by sjmaye
Started on: 05-21-2020 06:09 AM
Replies: 5 (119 views)
Last post by: theogre on 05-23-2020 11:54 AM
sjmaye

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2020 06:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am troubleshooting my instrument cluster. The service manual is good, but I thought a photo of the back of the instrument cluster would help me more. I am tracing the connections. The manual indicated some contacts as "Ignition". I am no electrician. In working on cars I am used to +12v or ground. These idiot lights need +12V on one side and ground (I assume) on the other. Can someone tell me why the manual calls these contacts, "Ignition"?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Cajun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2020 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunClick Here to Email CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
12 volts is applied when the ignition switch is turned to the "ON" position.
sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2020 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cajun:

12 volts is applied when the ignition switch is turned to the "ON" position.

So, in the case of the SES light. Does that mean the SES contact is the ground and the "Ignition" contact +12V?
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2020 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sjmaye:

So, in the case of the SES light. Does that mean the SES contact is the ground and the "Ignition" contact +12V?

Yes.

Assuming you are looking at the connector tabs at the lower left....the SES label is the trace to the SES bulb (ground side), and the 'Ignition' is switched 12 v. to the bulb (pos. side). The circuit is completed by the ECU grounding the SES trace. The 2 tabs are opposite each other on the connector, but they don't need to be. The printed circuit layout made that happen.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 05-21-2020).]

sjmaye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2020 05:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sjmayeSend a Private Message to sjmayeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Yes.

Assuming you are looking at the connector tabs at the lower left....the SES label is the trace to the SES bulb (ground side), and the 'Ignition' is switched 12 v. to the bulb (pos. side). The circuit is completed by the ECU grounding the SES trace. The 2 tabs are opposite each other on the connector, but they don't need to be. The printed circuit layout made that happen.

Sort of weird from my limited electrical background, but it makes sense the way you describe it. Thanks!
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 548
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2020 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could simply read http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/138175.html for most of this...

Because the picture was shot "wrong," the left C2 plug hole doesn't line up easy w/ some traces to follow them.

The other ignition on C3 is for alt bulb to turn on the alt plus alt warning if alt has problems.
Plug connects both by jumper there to design board easier.

Ignition on C2 is power for gauges and some bulbs.

2 blank bulb holes are "Spares bulbs" and should have sockets at minimum to block light leaking.
Fiero Designers had something planed for those but canceled for whatever reason. 1 N/U pin is ground to one when on. GM cut contacts to the other light to repurposed to run OP gauge.
(Even 84 has both listed as Spares bulbs but have board contacts for them going nowhere after the plug.)

Temp/fuel Gauge Clips are power, ground and "signal" for top, reverse order for bottom.
Tach clips OP, Power, Tach on top, ground at bottom. This dash must be for GT because never had OP clip. (I think 84 Dash "board" and back plastic are different and can't take OP clip.)
(84 use same warning bulb for Temp and OP)

Note that those clips are just 1 reason the dash gauges lie to you. Oxide "Rust" makes problems both on the "board" and on gauge "bolts" to plug into the clips.
Gauges have resistors bolted to back of them gets crap or loose nuts cause same problem.

Oddly the 84 docs have Illumination lights shown for temp/fuel gauges but ignore them for later years and why the other page I had to add O & P bulbs.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 05-23-2020).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock