HARBOR FREIGHT JACK STANDS RECALL by OldGuyinaGT
Started on: 05-20-2020 01:44 PM
Replies: 12 (457 views)
Last post by: theogre on 08-03-2021 11:00 AM
OldGuyinaGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2020 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OldGuyinaGTSend a Private Message to OldGuyinaGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I want to pass along a news story I just saw. Harbor Freight is recalling 454000 jack stands because they may collapse.

https://www.foxnews.com/aut...for-risk-of-collapse

The actual recall notice is available at

https://images.harborfreigh...6371_61196_61197.pdf

I hope no one gets maimed or killed.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2020 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe that many of us have these jack stands. Gone are the days when you inserted a heavy pin into a heavy steel structure to hold up the car. Now all the weight is supported on a flimsy roll pin. About 90% of what Harbor Freight sells is cheap low quality Chinese junk. In the shop we have only SK, Snap On , Armstrong ' Klein and older Craftsman American made tools. Recently we added the SK X-Wrench sets which are the finest tools made with American steel.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2020 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is updated "Old News" and is Two NHTSA Recalls.
See "check your jackstands." in GFC

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 05-20-2020).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2020 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

theogre

32270 posts
Member since Mar 99

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
I believe that many of us have these jack stands. Gone are the days when you inserted a heavy pin into a heavy steel structure to hold up the car. Now all the weight is supported on a flimsy roll pin. About 90% of what Harbor Freight sells is cheap low quality Chinese junk. In the shop we have only SK, Snap On , Armstrong ' Klein and older Craftsman American made tools. Recently we added the SK X-Wrench sets which are the finest tools made with American steel.
A roll pin Does Not hold the car. The pin just keep the latch pawl location on the lever.
In use, Most times the pin will break when something try to move the lever when stands are loaded so car won't drop.

Either the pawl or saddle part is made wrong (maybe both have problems) and easily drop the car when something tries to move the lever.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2021 02:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Everyone should recheck their jack stands and placement for safety.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/099849.html
Skybax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2021 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SkybaxSend a Private Message to SkybaxEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They also has a hydraulic jack recall last year or the year before (red one) but I couldn't find it in a search.

[This message has been edited by Skybax (edited 08-01-2021).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2021 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Everyone should recheck their jack stands and placement for safety.

Jack Stands ...In Honor & Memory of Ethan Allen (yourfriendethan)

For sure. It's terrible that a tragic accident such as this needed to occur.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2021 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just decided to put my Harbor Freight jack stands aside for when we work low and will be using these from now on.

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 08-01-2021).]

skywurz

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2021 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skywurzClick Here to visit skywurz's HomePageSend a Private Message to skywurzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I just decided to put my Harbor Freight jack stands aside for when we work low and will be using these from now on.

I don't like this style and would not use them for supporting a car in the air. Some of these aluminum ones say they are rated for 6000lbs but they are really designed for leveling RVs not supporting something like a car in the air with the possible lateral movement. I ran across a plastic set of these in a pile of aluminum ones and the weight difference was not apparent that was a scary thought. Also the cast aluminum I have seen on these can be very shoddy. If there was a good solid steel set of these maybe steel like the traditional stands but with this adjustment instead... however I also don't like how thin that threaded steel is. I've seen bent ones from RV leveling.

Just my opinion on those.
gjgpff

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2021 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gjgpffSend a Private Message to gjgpffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Those SK X-Wrenches wrenches are on my Birthday/Christmas list! They're really nice, and I've always wanted 6 point ratchets. Some bad news, though. SK were just bought by GreatStar, a Chinese holding company. GreatStar may keep the production in the US, but a common practice is to move production overseas, produce a ton of tools, and sell them through the big box stores with the SK brand and probably a bunch of American flags all over the box. This works, apparently for a few years until everyone realizes they're just paying extra for the letters "S", and "K".
So, fingers crossed that GreatStar/SK keeps the production in the US.

https://youtu.be/SOr0_sqQMbs

[This message has been edited by gjgpff (edited 08-02-2021).]

MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-02-2021 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The older I get, the more hinky I get about crawling underneath a car supported by jack stands. Just spooks me anymore, especially when I'm a full 50lbs heavier then I was 'Back In the Day" when I would do it without a second thought. The posts I've read about Ethan Allen (yourfriendethan) are just so heartbreaking, a nice guy with a family..Dammit to hell!
Anyway, I think a good USA mfg lift is in my future.
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2021 06:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by skywurz:

I don't like this style and would not use them for supporting a car in the air. Some of these aluminum ones say they are rated for 6000lbs but they are really designed for leveling RVs not supporting something like a car in the air with the possible lateral movement. I ran across a plastic set of these in a pile of aluminum ones and the weight difference was not apparent that was a scary thought. Also the cast aluminum I have seen on these can be very shoddy. If there was a good solid steel set of these maybe steel like the traditional stands but with this adjustment instead... however I also don't like how thin that threaded steel is. I've seen bent ones from RV leveling.

I've thought about that and have concerns as well. I like the jack screw idea but steel construction seems to make more sense but I did collapse an old steel unit that used a pipe, then split the steel to make the three legs . The old set of pin through stands that I have seems like the best idea and I have a set of those as well. Might try the Esco design. Those look sturdy. Expensive but what is your life worth?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2021 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE
Please No....
While nice because can adjust the screw so all are tight vs. pin or ratchet type jack stands don't use them to protect people.

Originally posted by skywurz:

Not only that...
The Aluminum frame can and will Fail because Al often hates point loads anywhere on the bottom.
See that happen when used to level RV and sunk to hit a rock over a weekend. Broke the bottom but didn't fail completely this time.

Had some given to me many years before that...
No-way use as jack stands to get under a vehicle. If you hit them w/ tools etc while working can "break" easy for same reason.
"Break" can be Break outright or Bent a "leg"and won't hold a load.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock