Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Upper control arm ripping off ball joint boot ?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Upper control arm ripping off ball joint boot ? by cam-a-lot
Started on: 05-20-2020 06:48 AM
Replies: 9 (109 views)
Last post by: cam-a-lot on 05-20-2020 07:12 PM
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2020 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello

Can anyone tell me why this is happening? 88 GT, stock suspension except for TFS drop springs.

When the car is on a hoist, the bump stop pad on the upper control arm touches and pulls off the upper ball joint boot (both sides of the car)

Any suggestions as to what causes this?

thanks

[This message has been edited by cam-a-lot (edited 05-20-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2020 06:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are 3 primary causes.

Poor installation.
Age of the rubber boot allows it to crack and separate.
Excessive use of grease. Someone fills the boot with grease to the point of it popping the boot free or tearing it.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 05-20-2020).]

cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2020 06:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2020 06:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cam-a-lot

1691 posts
Member since Oct 2010
Thanks, but how would any of those 3 possibilities allow the control arm to touch the boot? It is interfering quite a bit. Even if I put on a brand new balljoint and put the correct amount of grease in it, it will rub from the looks of things...

Not sure why the picture loaded sideways, sorry.

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2020 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillClick Here to Email WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you aligned with a lot of camber? That will move the control arm inboard.

Maybe your crossmember is just assembled with the bump stop plates a little further outboard than most?
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2020 08:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now that I see the pic... the issue is the KYB shocks. They are longer than stock and allow the suspension to droop down further. The longer length also make them more prone to bottom out internally on lowered cars. I always recommend installing spacers between the lower t-bar and the lower a-arm.

From the picture, you are constantly riding on the (non-stock) bump stops as well.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 548
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2020 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have aftermarket boot like most w/ polly boots they are not made right and won't seal same way as OE or Boots came w/ Moog etc joints.

"Factory" and other "rubber" boots have a hidden metal ring in the base end that hold on the outer joint.
Moog and maybe others also have extra vent area on stud end so can't wreck them w/ grease.

For OE and others w/o "Moog vent boots," I made a tool to vent them.
small wire or "geek tool" w/ tip bent 90° push into stud opening is often enough to vent grease to prevent tearing them.
(if using screwdriver, heat to bend or most will break.)

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2020 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetClick Here to Email cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I believe it may be your after-market bump stop; 1988 Fiero bump stops are wedge shaped, while yours appears to be a round shape. You may be able to cut away a small portion on the offending side......

88Fingers

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2020 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FingersClick Here to Email 88FingersSend a Private Message to 88FingersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello Pete, is the sway bar link missing? If it is not there connected, does that let the suspension drop too far? Maybe I am missing something?
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2020 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks everyone

Sway bar link is missing for some reason- just noticed it and ordered a new set

I don't think the car rides on the bump stops anymore. It used to when the PO installed springs that were cut far too much and there was no suspension travel.

Good info on the KYB shocks- may try to play with them or replace them to see if the issue is resolved. Bump stops were from TFS- I don't think they are the issue since I recently replaced the front springs to the TFS drop springs, and now I have a lot more suspension travel.

Thanks everyone for your advice

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock