Steering wheel issue by Chief08
Started on: 05-18-2020 12:49 PM
Replies: 14 (296 views)
Last post by: fieroguru on 05-26-2020 10:08 PM
Chief08

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2020 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chief08Send a Private Message to Chief08Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys,

I need a bit of help/advice. I bought a Momo EVO steering wheel, and it fine with the Momo adapter, but that adapter pushes the steering wheel out a few inches. I tried the Fiero hub and the short NRG hub, both of which put the wheel in the stock position. The problem is that with either of those hubs the shaft sticks out too far so the horn button won't fit. I'm not sure if shaving off some ot the shaft is a good solution, or not. I'm also considering using a G6 steering wheel. Will the G6 wheel fit without modifications? As always, I appreciate the help that I get from you guys.

Dave
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
88Fingers

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2020 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FingersSend a Private Message to 88FingersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Chief08, check out my YouTube video on "Fiero Fred" channel. See if you like that wheel. I made it from a broken '87 GT wheel where I used 3/4" tubing bent to 13"dia. with a flat bottom for more leg room then had a shop weld it to the spokes and had a car upholstery guy who also does steering wheels pad it and cover it in the grey leather. It fits like Fiero factory original as it is, and the horn button works just fine. Feels great in the hands. I love it!
Chief08

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2020 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chief08Send a Private Message to Chief08Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88Fingers:

Hey Chief08, check out my YouTube video on "Fiero Fred" channel. See if you like that wheel. I made it from a broken '87 GT wheel where I used 3/4" tubing bent to 13"dia. with a flat bottom for more leg room then had a shop weld it to the spokes and had a car upholstery guy who also does steering wheels pad it and cover it in the grey leather. It fits like Fiero factory original as it is, and the horn button works just fine. Feels great in the hands. I love it!

Nice looking wheel, unfortunately I don't have the ability to bend, or weld tubing etc.

Dave
88Fingers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2020 11:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FingersSend a Private Message to 88FingersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Dave, a local machine shop bent it and welded it for for me for $50 I bought the tubing at around $10 it was the leather covering that cost $280 !!
Chief08

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2020 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chief08Send a Private Message to Chief08Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88Fingers:

Hey Dave, a local machine shop bent it and welded it for for me for $50 I bought the tubing at around $10 it was the leather covering that cost $280 !!

That's cool, it came out nicely. I already bent the heck out of the Fiero hub trying to make it work with the Momo wheel, so I'm not sure I can still use it.
Chief08

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2020 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chief08Send a Private Message to Chief08Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Chief08

323 posts
Member since Feb 2017
I'm thinking of adding a second steering wheel nut to keep the wheel from going so far back, which causes the horn button not to fit. Do you guys think that doing this would be an issue?
88Fingers

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2020 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88FingersSend a Private Message to 88FingersEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey Dave, could be a safety concern if not enough spline engages. Patrick? Ogre? Please advise Dave here!
Chief08

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2020 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chief08Send a Private Message to Chief08Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, does anyone have any input? Has anyone else run into this problem? Would trimming a bot of the end of the shaft off cause any serious issues? I could really use some help on this one. Thanks again

Dave
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2020 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I explained in response to your PMs how I mounted my Momo steering wheel. It was years ago that I did it, and I forget some of the finer details, but at the time it didn't seem to be all that difficult.

Maybe if you took and posted a clear picture (make sure it's well lit) of what your particular issue is, someone might be able to offer some further advice.
Chief08

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2020 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chief08Send a Private Message to Chief08Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I explained in response to your PMs how I mounted my Momo steering wheel. It was years ago that I did it, and I forget some of the finer details, but at the time it didn't seem to be all that difficult.

Maybe if you took and posted a clear picture (make sure it's well lit) of what your particular issue is, someone might be able to offer some further advice.

Hey Patrick,
I actually did try what you mentioned and tried using the stock Fiero hub, but I ran into the same issue. I think it has to do with the horn button itself, it is completely flat on the back side with no recess to accommodate the end of the column shaft.

Here you can see how far the horn button sticks out.

And here is the shaft and the back of the horn button.

All that I can think of is to use some sort of spacer on the shaft, or trim it down.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2020 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Chief08:

I actually did try what you mentioned and tried using the stock Fiero hub, but I ran into the same issue. I think it has to do with the horn button itself, it is completely flat on the back side with no recess to accommodate the end of the column shaft.

I looked up my PM to you. I bolded the relevant part.

Dave, it was a few years ago that I did this, but it should be a bit more straightforward to you once you get the steering wheel off and have a look at it. What I don't remember is if the donor steering wheel needs to be "sacrificed" to use its hub. I had a bunch of old steering wheels here, and if memory serves me, I actually used the hub from a Firebird steering wheel. It had a deeper hub, which pushed the steering wheel a bit further towards me. I have the seat back quite far (long legs) and moving the wheel a bit closer was great.

Whether the horn issue factored into my decision or not, I forget... but after looking at your pictures I can certainly see the advantage of selecting the deeper Firebird steering wheel hub that I used.

If I was in your position, I think I'd try using a spacer of some sort between the actual steering wheel and the hub, just to bring it out enough for the horn assembly to push back into position.

Do those electrical tabs on the horn assembly need to stick as far back as they do? Is it one or both of them which is contacting the mounting nut/shaft? If so, can they be cut back and/or bent over?
PFF
System Bot
Chief08

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2020 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chief08Send a Private Message to Chief08Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Whether the horn issue factored into my decision or not, I forget... but after looking at your pictures I can certainly see the advantage of selecting the deeper Firebird steering wheel hub that I used.

If I was in your position, I think I'd try using a spacer of some sort between the actual steering wheel and the hub, just to bring it out enough for the horn assembly to push back into position.

Do those electrical tabs on the horn assembly need to stick as far back as they do? Is it one or both of them which is contacting the mounting nut/shaft? If so, can they be cut back and/or bent over?

Patrick,

The tabs don't stick out as far as it looks on the picture and they are fixed in place. Even if I were to remove them completely, the shaft would still contact the back of the horn button. I thought of using a second nut to act as a spacer, so I may try that. What year Firebird hub did you use?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2020 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I thought of using a second nut to act as a spacer, so I may try that.

I don't follow you. I don't understand how a second nut on the shaft would help. I certainly wouldn't put the second nut under the hub.

Why can't you simply try using six small nuts/spacers between the steering wheel and whatever it's attached to?

What year Firebird hub did you use?

No idea. Probably the same vintage as a Fiero.
Chief08

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2020 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Chief08Send a Private Message to Chief08Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No idea. Probably the same vintage as a Fiero.

Because the tapered screws that came with the hub are not long enough.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2020 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Because the tapered screws that came with the hub are not long enough.

Buy longer countersunk bolts with some 3/8" long spacers...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock