Windshield molding question by CSM842M4
Started on: 05-14-2020 02:35 PM
Replies: 5 (563 views)
Last post by: Spoon on 05-19-2020 09:18 PM
CSM842M4

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2020 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CSM842M4Send a Private Message to CSM842M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm getting ready to paint my '86 GT, and in the process of removing parts that don't need painted or will get in the way. The windshield molding is coming out of where it belongs, and would cover part of the A-pillar skin anyway, so it's got to go. The large question is, does the windshield have to come out to get the molding out? If so, is it a glue-in arrangement? Again, my Chilton's manual is less than helpful. Any/all input is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance -Chris
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2020 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Take it out. Leave the glass in.
https://www.fierostore.com/...20%20FRONT&d=307&p=1

From Factory Service Manual:

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-14-2020).]

CSM842M4

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2020 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CSM842M4Send a Private Message to CSM842M4Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, fierosound. Yep, the picture looks like straight out of the FSM (thanks, IMSAGT). That sure simplifies things.
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2020 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The last windshield I got put in came with new generic moulding, I could not tell the difference.

------------------
86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

Chief08

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-15-2020 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Chief08Send a Private Message to Chief08Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just did this a few days ago. You will need a heat gun and some patience. I used the heat gun to heat up a section at a time, then used a small flat head screwdriver to gently pry up a part of the molding. Once part of the molding was separated, I used a pair of pliers that have a 90 degree bend at tbe end to pull the molding up adding heat along the way. Whatever you do always pry away from the glass and you should be good to go.

Dave
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2020 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's an old and interesting link for the newbies.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...110502-1-075941.html

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock