Car won't start sometimes by Monkeybean007
Started on: 05-13-2020 04:06 PM
Replies: 26 (278 views)
Last post by: Monkeybean007 on 05-24-2020 01:22 AM
Monkeybean007

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2020 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
85 gt 2.8l when I start my car and drive it somewhere and it warms up and then I try to restart it again after turning it off, it won't start, no cranking anything the lights come on inside and so does the radio, usually I have to wait for a bit to get it to start, also I usually have to turn the key a couple times to get it to start, bad ignition switch is my bet, battery was tested and it's good same with alternator.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 439
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2020 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeybean007:

...it won't start, no cranking anything the lights come on inside and so does the radio

Do you hear the starter solenoid click when you turn the key?

Monkeybean007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2020 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Yes
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2020 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd say your ignition switch is fine then. This "no crank" issue is probably due to the usual problem... bad battery cables, and/or poor/corroded connections at either end of them.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-14-2020).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2020 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadClick Here to Email olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
/\/\/\This/\/\/\

Or a starter problem,.such as heat soaking, bad bushings or sticky Bendix.
yamaha94

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2020 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yamaha94Click Here to Email yamaha94Send a Private Message to yamaha94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check your ground cable. Do you have corrosion? if they are green time to clean them.
Monkeybean007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2020 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by yamaha94:

Check your ground cable. Do you have corrosion? if they are green time to clean them.

I went through and cleaned all the grounds, redid some , and added some grounds as well, all are looking good now. No corrosion on battery connections to the battery that is. Starter connections were cleaned as well.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2020 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well... all that's left is the starter itself then.

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Or a starter problem,.such as heat soaking, bad bushings or sticky Bendix.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2020 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageClick Here to Email fierosoundSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well... all that's left is the starter itself then.

May as well upgrade to a new smaller gear reduction starter.
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...120111-2-108710.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Monkeybean007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2020 02:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I should easily be able to test the ster though right?
Monkeybean007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2020 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Should also mention that it seems to inky do it when the car has heated up, short drives when it hasn't heated up it doesn't have any issues.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2020 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I should easily be able to test the ster though right?

"ster"? Starter?

Sure, you can apply 12v directly to the starter (using jumper cables). Just be sure not to accidentally ground the positive cable (big sparks!)... and make damn sure the transmission's NOT IN GEAR.

Should also mention that it seems to inky do it when the car has heated up, short drives when it hasn't heated up it doesn't have any issues.

Not uncommon. There's more electrical resistance when everything's hot.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-22-2020).]

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2020 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageClick Here to Email fierosoundSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

85 gt 2.8l when I start my car and drive it somewhere and it warms up and then I try to restart it again after turning it off, it won't start, no cranking anything the lights come on inside and so does the radio, usually I have to wait for a bit to get it to start,

As Patrick mentioned - a "heat soak" problem.
Check the connections, cables, battery (do a "load test") and starter motor.
https://www.knowyourparts.c...-when-hot-heat-soak/

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-16-2020).]

Monkeybean007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2020 04:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well I'll take a look into it and let you guys know what's up.
Monkeybean007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2020 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

When I push this in and turn the ignition on it starts no issue so how do I adjust this?
Monkeybean007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2020 07:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Monkeybean007

132 posts
Member since Feb 2020
That's in my steering column 😂
Monkeybean007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2020 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Also this was just bouncing around in there.
Monkeybean007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2020 01:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just gonna add all the info I figure out in hopes one of you can help piece it together, by using the tilt lever and adjusting the steering column it will also help start the car up fine, so I am thinking that it has to do with the pushrod not being lined up somehow.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2020 02:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...it warms up and then I try to restart it again after turning it off, it won't start, no cranking anything the lights come on inside and so does the radio, usually I have to wait for a bit to get it to start

Yes

...by using the tilt lever and adjusting the steering column it will also help start the car up fine, so I am thinking that it has to do with the pushrod not being lined up somehow.

IMO, something doesn't add up here. If you hear the starter solenoid "click" when you turn the key, then as far as I know, the ignition switch is doing its job in regards to engaging the starter. I readily admit to not being an electrical expert by any means, so any other input here could prove to be useful.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-23-2020).]

Eliredandblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2020 03:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EliredandblackClick Here to Email EliredandblackSend a Private Message to EliredandblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The spring clip in your photo looks like the typical GM contact for “key left in ignition buzzer.” I ordered a new one for my 73 Vette, but don’t have the nerve to dig that far into the steering column. I will bet your key left in the ignition never caused the chime/buzzer to sound. Test chime by leaving lights on or e brake.
Monkeybean007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2020 03:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

IMO, something doesn't add up here. If you hear the starter solenoid "click" when you turn the key, then as far as I know, the ignition switch is doing its job in regards to engaging the starter. I readily admit to not being an electrical expert by any means, so any other input here could prove to be useful.

Im going to have to reiterate that a bit upon further research not the starter but the cruise control i believe, you can feel the sound and hear it coming from the box going to that, so not the starter.
PFF
System Bot
Monkeybean007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2020 03:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Monkeybean007

132 posts
Member since Feb 2020

Originally posted by Eliredandblack:

The spring clip in your photo looks like the typical GM contact for “key left in ignition buzzer.” I ordered a new one for my 73 Vette, but don’t have the nerve to dig that far into the steering column. I will bet your key left in the ignition never caused the chime/buzzer to sound. Test chime by leaving lights on or e brake.

Definitely does not make any sound. Although if that's all its for I am not super worried, unless it's necessary.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2020 03:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Im going to have to reiterate that a bit upon further research not the starter but the cruise control...

So you eventually realized that it was your cruise control making the "click", and not the starter solenoid... and you then didn't bother to mention anything here!

Ummm... you need to understand that questions are asked for specific reasons, and it's your responses to these questions that any advice you get is based on.
Monkeybean007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2020 04:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So you eventually realized that it was your cruise control making the "click", and not the starter solenoid... and you then didn't bother to mention anything here!

Ummm... you need to understand that questions are asked for specific reasons, and it's your responses to these questions that any advice you get is based on.

I'm sorry patrick don't hate me..... I was just able to get help today so that someone could turn the key while I listened, it had sounded like the starter my bad... And I mentioned as soon as I found out which was today....
Monkeybean007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2020 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welp I figured out the issue sorry for bothering you guys and causing issues, I appreciate all the help you guys give, thank you.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2020 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well, don't double-down on the damage... tell us what the issue was!
Monkeybean007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2020 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well, don't double-down on the damage... tell us what the issue was!

My ignition switch was all messed up, connections were corroded to hell and the rod wasn't firm in its slot, pulled it off and you could hear parts shaking around inside. Went and bought a new one tossed it on, reassembled steering column, a lot of stuff had been unplugged so connected and fixed all that stuff (high beam now works as well as horn and my turn signals work correctly) and it started up perfect no issues, went on a long cruise turned it off and started it right back up again.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock