Dash lights will not turn on. by rbell2915
Started on: 04-26-2020 03:30 PM
Replies: 9 (198 views)
Last post by: theogre on 04-30-2020 02:18 AM
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2020 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I disconnected the transistor and jumped C&D and still nothing is working. Ran out of fuses so I need to go buy some more. I don't understand what the issue is. The lights were working great, then all of a sudden they weren't.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2020 06:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Would you tell us what the transistor and C&D are?

Do your tail lights work?

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 04-26-2020).]

rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2020 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Would you tell us what the transistor and C&D are?

Do your tail lights work?

The transistor for the dimmer underneath the dash. I unplugged it and jumped terminals C&D on the white plug like I read on the ogre's cave. That didn't turn on the dash lights at full brightness or at all.

Tail lights are working.
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2020 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice project. I've been following your thread. Did you check the LEDs before installing? Since you purchased the instrument cluster from a salvage yard, is there a chance that the LEDs were blown previously? (Apologies if I missed where you said the LEDs were working when you received the cluster.)

BTW, where in Clayton? I have cousin and Aunt that lives there.

------------------
Mike in Sydney

[This message has been edited by Mike in Sydney (edited 04-26-2020).]

rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2020 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike in Sydney:

Nice project. I've been following your thread. Did you check the LEDs before installing? Since you purchased the instrument cluster from a salvage yard, is there a chance that the LEDs were blown previously? (Apologies if I missed where you said the LEDs were working when you received the cluster.)

BTW, where in Clayton? I have cousin and Aunt that lives there.

Hey Mike, thanks a lot. I was hoping someone got something out of the thread. I replaced the regular bulbs with the LEDs and they were working great throughout all of my tests and on my first road test they were working and then they stopped. When I turn on the parking lights, my radio display will shut off, essentially telling me that the dimmer is all the way off. I did have a spare dimmer around the house somewhere, but of course I can't find it.

And near the intersection of I-70 and Ranch Rd. Small world, isn't it? Let me know when you come and visit so we can get something to eat.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2020 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is 5a inst LP fuse good?

Has LEDs?
Then likely one of them is shorted and blow the 5a fuse etc.

LEDs often don't play well w/ Fiero dimmer but bypassing that should turn on.

If has "canbus" LEDs then likely fried resistors in/on them. Never use them for most things on old cars. Often don't work w/ new cars either.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2020 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Is 5a inst LP fuse good?

Has LEDs?
Then likely one of them is shorted and blow the 5a fuse etc.

LEDs often don't play well w/ Fiero dimmer but bypassing that should turn on.

If has "canbus" LEDs then likely fried resistors in/on them. Never use them for most things on old cars. Often don't work w/ new cars either.

I blew that fuse and replaced it several times. I'm going to have to buy more tomorrow. I did have LEDs in my old gauge cluster and they worked great. They worked great in my Firebird cluster while I was conducting my test. And bypassing the dimmer did not fix the issue. I can show you a photo of my transistor plug tomorrow.
rbell2915

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2020 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Resolved. Either the C2 or C3 connector on my custom harness was touching some metal somehow. I added more tape to both, hopefully it won't be an issue anymore.

Here's a video of the end result.

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2020 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Want to add a low fuel light? Assuming you have a spot for the light I can supply you with a board. There is an adjustment on the board so you can set where the light comes on. When the tank is below that level, the board will turn on an LED.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-30-2020 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rbell2915:
Resolved. Either the C2 or C3 connector on my custom harness was touching some metal somehow. I added more tape to both, hopefully it won't be an issue anymore.
The "pins" on the "board" where wires plug into can lose the "glue" holding it to the plastic "board" then easily bend and short out when you push in the plug. If you remove/reinstall again can move again.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock