TEMP GAUGE NOT WORKING by michael jatcko
Started on: 04-09-2020 03:22 PM
Replies: 7 (262 views)
Last post by: michael jatcko on 04-10-2020 11:39 AM
michael jatcko

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2020 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michael jatckoSend a Private Message to michael jatckoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
86 v6 motor dash gauge don't work. what I did to check by the manual, grounded wire from sending unit to dash, goes to hot.gauge and wiring to gauge good. checked sending with ohm meter, no reading from ether prong to ground.. got resistance from prong to prong.. had good sending unit base to block connection. so I and manual said bad sending unit, I order a aftermarket unit, and it reads the same, doesn't work ,so I contact them and they sent me another on, same, don't work..so I ordered a original ace high price. still don't work same reading all 3.. the manual shows power from switch to sender 12volts which I got. then going . in sender to ground.no reading, I put in boiling water and checked. got same reading nothing dash dash light go on and off with ing switch

WHAT AM I MISSING

MIKE
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2020 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gauge/light Temp Sender has 2 functions.
NTC Thermistor to run the gauge. Think ~ 1500Ω at "room temperature." Exact Ω depends on actual temperature at the tip.
Switch to turn on the "idiot light." This never close even in boiling water. Needed Oil heated > ~ 260°F to close to test.
Both are grounded to the metal shell.

ECT for ECM has NTC Thermistor between pins and Isn't grounded to the shell.

See my Cave, Sensors Quick Ref

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

michael jatcko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2020 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michael jatckoSend a Private Message to michael jatckoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i KNOW, THAT WHAT THE MANUAL SAID, but i GET NO RESISTANCE FROM ETHER PRONG
HOW COULD 4 SENDING BE BAD?????
michael jatcko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2020 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michael jatckoSend a Private Message to michael jatckoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

michael jatcko

34 posts
Member since Nov 2019
i DO GET RESTANCE FROM PRONG TO PRONG
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2020 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Fiero uses several different temperature sensors. The one with the Yellow and Black wires is a temperature sensor for the computer. The connector looks like the one in this picture. And on that sensor, you will get resistance pin to pin. And you will have an open pin to ground.

The other is for the temp gauge/temp light. Key on - engine off - it will have a Dark Green wire that when grounded will illuminate the TEMP light and a Dark Green/Yellow that when grounded will cause the temp gauge to peg high. It has the funky rectangular plug. Each wire is a separate function.

michael jatcko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2020 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michael jatckoSend a Private Message to michael jatckoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

WOW, that is the answer I was looking for. every thing shows the ecm as the one going to the gauge on the left rear of motor.
where is the other one at???
the manual just shows the ecm and the temp for the fan

thanks, thanks
lost a lot of sleep over it
MIKE
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2020 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The one for the gauge is by the coil on the V6.

https://www.fierostore.com/Tech/Default.aspx?Id=99

If a parts store tries to sell you a sender for the gauge that doesn't have the same connector as the old one, it's not a sender for the gauge.

The pin next to the notch is for the light and normally the Dark Green wire connects to it.

The pin away from the notch is for the gauge and normally the Dark Green/Yellow wire goes to it.

The shell of the connector normally has baked away and fallen off. The wires many times get reversed causing the temp gauge not to work and the temp light to light dimly when the engine gets up to temperature. Reversing them back fixes the problem.

A new shell can be purchased for cheap here - http://rodneydickman.com/pr...1acf0bc46a6a00b19c5c - It snaps over the existing metal terminals and you are back in business. Put some dielectric in the connector since GM stupidly used a connector that wasn't waterproof in this location.
michael jatcko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2020 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for michael jatckoSend a Private Message to michael jatckoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WHAT happen the old wire plug in was broken and just the wires sticking out. so I ordered the sensor and plug got it and it is the one for the computer. i got the right one and work

THANK EVERYONE
MIKE

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock