Error Code hell by SamanthaM
Started on: 04-02-2020 06:01 PM
Replies: 14 (288 views)
Last post by: SamanthaM on 04-07-2020 06:53 AM
SamanthaM

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2020 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamanthaMSend a Private Message to SamanthaMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I took my 86 V6 to get the brakes and tie rods done. When I picked it up, she seemed to be idling rough. As I drove it home the SES light came on for a few and then went off. I got home and she was idling even worse. I pulled the code, #15. I came here, did my reading and ordered the coolant sensor. I finally got a chance to work on the car and replace the coolant sensor and as I moved the solenoid out of the way I noticed a totally crap vacuum line. No problem, I can fix that. So I finish putting in the sensor and finally get the old crappy vacuum hose off the front of the solenoid and the firewall, get new hose connected and I reset the ECM.

Started her up and she is idling normal, no more sputtering and skipping around. Take her for a test drive around the block, she seems fine. Double checked for leaks and what not that I fixed today and all is good. I decide to take her on a bit longer run. I'm not 10 minutes out and SES light comes on and stays on. Car is running fine but light is steady. I get back home and pull the codes.... #13 & 32.... So I read more here and check the connectors on the throttle position sensor and IAC thinking maybe I bumped something when I was laying in the engine bay? Everything looks good.....

Did I miss something? I can't believe that 2 sensors can die on the same day????

Suggestions? Please????
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2020 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Code 32 is EGR control not functioning. If your vacuum lines to the EGR control solenoid are broken you will get a code 32 so that is the first place to look. You won't get the code 32 until you start driving since the EGR is not called for by the ECM until you are driving.

Code 15 is a throttle position sensor. You could test it or just replace it. You could also try to reset the ECM and see if it returns. The TPS tends to wear out at partial throttle and if that is where yours is worn out again it would not show up until you drove it.

If your vacuum lines are not the cause of your code 32, then it is most likely a bad EGR control solenoid (assuming a V6). I am in the process of designing a replacement EGR control solenoid and should have them available shortly.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2020 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Code #13 is the 02 sensor....check to see if you bumped the wire on that....
SamanthaM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2020 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SamanthaMSend a Private Message to SamanthaMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The original issue I started with was the code 15 and replacing the coolant sensor definitely fixed the rough idle and sputtering.

Today, since I found 1 bad vac line yesterday, I am going to retrace all the vac lines and see if I missed something. I will also check to see if I bumped any plugs while trying to fight the vac line off the firewall yesterday....

I am picking up an O2 sensor today and will tackle replacing that.

I read somewhere on here (can't find the article now of course) about cleaning the IAC and TPS sensor ????

If all the rest of my vac lines check out, is it a safe bet the EGR Valve is bad and the reason for the code 32? Also read that it's not a huge deal to just skip replacing it??? Thoughts???
SamanthaM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2020 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SamanthaMSend a Private Message to SamanthaMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SamanthaM

94 posts
Member since Aug 2019

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

Code 32 is EGR control not functioning. If your vacuum lines to the EGR control solenoid are broken you will get a code 32 so that is the first place to look. You won't get the code 32 until you start driving since the EGR is not called for by the ECM until you are driving.

If your vacuum lines are not the cause of your code 32, then it is most likely a bad EGR control solenoid (assuming a V6). I am in the process of designing a replacement EGR control solenoid and should have them available shortly.

The one junky vac line I found yesterday was on the front of the EGR solenoid when I moved it out of my way to get to the coolant sensor. I did replace that. But I did notice this small kinda L-shaped one that is really loose, like it slides on and off easy? Could that too be past of the code 32???

BTW.,.. Thank you for the advice/help, I appreciate it.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2020 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your code 32 comes on after getting up to speed then most likely the issue is the EGR solenoid is commanded to allow vacuum to pass and the sensor is looking to read it, but isn't. Could be no vacuum to the solenoid, a bad solenoid, a vacuum leak after the solenoid or a bad sensor.

Yes it should fit tightly.
SamanthaM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2020 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamanthaMSend a Private Message to SamanthaMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

I fixed all the rest of the junk vacuum lines. I took her for a spin and in a matter of a minute the SES light comes on and stayed on. She runs great, not a sputter so single hesitation. When I read the codes I am still getting #13 - O2 sensor (which I haven't replaced yet but have the part) and #32 EGR Vacuum Control.... so I am guessing the Solenoid is crap. Any ETA when you may have your replacement available?

Or where/if I can buy a new one to replace mine???
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2020 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fix the 02 sensor and reset the computer. There is a chance the 32 will go away, but maybe not. Check for a tight fit on the elbow at the EGR valve. That, if loose, will trip a 32 after a while. You can take a shot at rebuilding the solenoid, There is a good thread on here to instruct you.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/122507.html

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 04-04-2020).]

SamanthaM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2020 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamanthaMSend a Private Message to SamanthaMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is there a how to thread for getting that O2 sensor off???? I swear I think it is the original from 1986!!!!!! It is rust welded on and there is little to no room to reach it from the top???
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2020 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
...oops, misread what you were after.

Originally posted by SamanthaM:

Is there a how to thread for getting that O2 sensor off????

Hopefully it was installed with anti-seize applied... but it'll probably be a good idea to soak it down with penetrating oil (not WD-40) nevertheless.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-04-2020).]

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2020 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SamanthaM:

Is there a how to thread for getting that O2 sensor off???? I swear I think it is the original from 1986!!!!!! It is rust welded on and there is little to no room to reach it from the top???

Spray it with the usual products, and let it soak for an hour. Then use some of this and follow the instructions. A friend of mine was trying to remove a stuck O2 sensor and couldn't budge it with a 2 foot cheater bar. I sprayed some of this product on it, waited a few minutes and removed it with a regular wrench.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

PFF
System Bot
SamanthaM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2020 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SamanthaMSend a Private Message to SamanthaMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Spoon!!!!!!!!!!! It took a lot of effort, but she finally broke loose. I cleaned up the area and put anit-seize on the new sensor and got it back in there and plugged back in. I just cleared the codes and am going for a test drive.... Wish me luck.

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2020 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good Luck! Keep the windows rolled up.
SamanthaM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2020 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SamanthaMSend a Private Message to SamanthaMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well the test drive was both good and bad.... I still got a SES light, but when I pulled the code it was only the #32. So fixing the O2 sensor cured one part of the problem.

Today I am going to yet again trace all the vacuum lines that go the the EGR valve and the EGR control solenoid and hope I missed something? If not, then I can only guess that the control solenoid went to crap at the same time as the coolant sensor and the O2 sensor.... :-(

On a good note, the two new sensors have got the idle to a smooth 900-1000 RPM....

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions.

I am going to maybe try rebuilding my EGR solenoid as shown in that thread? I was curious, is there any other cars that use that control solenoid? I was thinking about trying to find one at a junk yard to try the rebuild on?

[This message has been edited by SamanthaM (edited 04-06-2020).]

SamanthaM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2020 06:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SamanthaMSend a Private Message to SamanthaMEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just an update.... I found a guy in Louisiana who sold me two EGR control solenoids for $40. I am going to put one on the car so I can try the rebuild on my disfunctional one. Then I will have two spares. :-)

All of my error codes are gone except #32 and the car has been running a lot better since the vac line and sensor replacements. Thanks again for all the help, you guys are awesome!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock