Overhead dome light buttons by FieroG97J
Started on: 03-31-2020 10:02 AM
Replies: 9 (441 views)
Last post by: RWDPLZ on 04-02-2020 08:55 PM
FieroG97J

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2020 10:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroG97JSend a Private Message to FieroG97JEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I noticed that there are 2 button and 3 button designs. Anyone know which year is which or is it a GT/Coupe thing?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mike in Sydney

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2020 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you confusing the 3-button version with the slider for the premium sound system? My 86 SE Coupe had 2 buttons for the lights and the slider for the premium sound system. My GTs without premium sound only have the 2 buttons for the cabin spotlights.

------------------
Mike in Sydney

FieroG97J

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2020 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroG97JSend a Private Message to FieroG97JEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 88 GT and an 88 Coupe. They both have only 2 buttons. Neither has the sound system option. On the 3 button module all buttons are the same. There is no slide switch. I know what the slider looks like, but this is plainly a 3rd button.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2020 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 85 SE and my previous 85 GT both had three pushbuttons.

I think it's an 85-down vs. 86-up thing.
FieroG97J

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2020 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroG97JSend a Private Message to FieroG97JEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My guess is that the center button (of the 3 button type) turns on the 2 center lights. The outer two buttons must turn on the outside lights on the 4 bulb setup.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2020 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
3rd middle button just turn on the 2 middle Dome lights same as jam switches and dash dimmer turned full up. Think only 84 maybe 85 had 3 buttons.
Other 2 are "Map/Reading Lights" and only turn on w/ the buttons.

Note that Turning on any of them while driving can get you stopped by cops. Light pollution can cause big problems at night so you can't see well or at all outside of the car.
Is likely part of why GM deleted 3rd button to prevent P-side people turn on the Dome light "Accidentally." Is Bad enough having P-side map light on in Fiero and others. Most Back dome lights in many SUV etc that gets turn on by kids etc often w/o warning have same problem.

Only option for them is "Performance Sound" w/ volume control of add-on sub woofer for OE radios.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2020 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroG97J:

"I have an 88 GT and an 88 Coupe. They both have only 2 buttons. Neither has the sound system option. On the 3 button module all buttons are the same. There is no slide switch. I know what the slider looks like, but this is plainly a 3rd button."

Hmmm. Interesting. I've never knew that there were 3-button versions.

------------------
Mike in Sydney

FieroG97J

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2020 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroG97JSend a Private Message to FieroG97JEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here are some ebay modules.

https://www.google.com/sear...UKEwjBofOS0sfoAhUTCc 0KHQVKBRoQ9QEwBHoECAkQGQ&biw=1280&bih=579&dpr=1.25#imgrc=XYJjP82kRne0bM:

I checked some of my parts cars. All the 84's in including the PACE CAR have 3 buttons. An 85 SE I have has 3 buttons and an 86 SE has 2.
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2020 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the 3 button version in mine.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2020 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There were 3 versions of the overhead console: 3 button (84-85), 2 button (86-88), and 2 button with Performance Sound slider for cars with that option. There was an even greater variety of color combinations.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock