Parking Brake Stuck by Salsapants
Started on: 03-29-2020 10:32 PM
Replies: 11 (407 views)
Last post by: theogre on 04-06-2020 04:51 PM
Salsapants

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2020 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SalsapantsSend a Private Message to SalsapantsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey everyone,

I was doing an inspection of my Fiero and noticed that after I had pulled on the parking brake, it would go back down without me pressing in the button. Now when i start it the BRAKE light shows up and dings at me.
Just wondering if anyone had any insight into this.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2020 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lever will go drown w/ brake on to allow you to get out/in.

To release pull lever and push button. ETA--> Keep holding button until all the way down.

Otherwise P-Brakes is on and will wreck the rear brakes if you drive.

If fail to release and turn off light/ding then P-brakes have problems.
See my Cave, Rear Brakes

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 03-30-2020).]

Salsapants

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2020 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SalsapantsSend a Private Message to SalsapantsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My issue is the button will not press in. It's like it's jammed or something? I can't really describe it aside from saying that the button won't go down. I can move the lever itself no issue.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2020 03:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are you pulling the lever up hard while trying to press the button?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-04-2020).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2020 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Raise the lever until it meets resistance. Press hard on the button and continue to lift. The button should depress. While continuing to hold the button, lower the lever.
FX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2020 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FXSend a Private Message to FXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
...I sometimes have to pull up on the handle as mentioned to release the button, and slam the handle down to get light to go out. Brakes never stick...If your E brake is sticking on, then you have problems with the cable, and, or at the calipers...

[This message has been edited by FX (edited 04-04-2020).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2020 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FX:
...I sometimes have to pull up on the handle as mentioned to release the button, and slam the handle down to get light to go out. Brakes never stick...If your E brake is sticking on, then you have problems with the cable, and, or at the calipers...
When true often can pull main cable in back wile someone release the lever.

Lever needs cable tension to full release and turn off light and chime.

Then See my Cave, Rear Brakes section.

If lever won't release that way either... May need to pull seat and trim to get access to the lever bottom end to see what's happening. Lever parts can rust out or break because of location and crap dragged over by feet etc.
Salsapants

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2020 02:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SalsapantsSend a Private Message to SalsapantsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was pulling the lever as far back as possible. I'll need to get in there when my foot is fixed
Salsapants

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2020 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SalsapantsSend a Private Message to SalsapantsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Salsapants

44 posts
Member since Mar 2019
Well I'm a big dumb. I guess I wasn't pulling it quite far enough. Got the issue fixed! Thanks everyone!
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2020 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Salsapants:

I guess I wasn't pulling it quite far enough.

We tried to tell you.

Originally posted by Patrick:

Are you pulling the lever up hard while trying to press the button?

Salsapants

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2020 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SalsapantsSend a Private Message to SalsapantsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was weird, I had it full back, but then it gave a little more after what I figured would have been more than enough force. Oh well, I know for next time!
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2020 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Salsapants:
It was weird, I had it full back, but then it gave a little more after what I figured would have been more than enough force. Oh well, I know for next time!
"Full back?" Lever should only click 7-9 times when pulled. More is often a problem. Hit the end of lever travel to apply way more and can make very hard to impossible to release.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 04-06-2020).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock