Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Anyone ever remove the bottom portion (lip) of the formula/coupe rear bumper?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Anyone ever remove the bottom portion (lip) of the formula/coupe rear bumper? by Blowerwhine
Started on: 03-29-2020 03:18 PM
Replies: 15 (224 views)
Last post by: theogre on 03-30-2020 07:01 PM
Blowerwhine

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2020 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlowerwhineSend a Private Message to BlowerwhineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone ever remove that lip? If so, how can I get a nice clean cut without damaging the paint? Would score, bend and snap work? I love the design of the bumper but hate the lip, it just looks like it doesn't belong
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2020 03:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What do you plan to use as an air damn to divert air through the radiator?
Blowerwhine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2020 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlowerwhineSend a Private Message to BlowerwhineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

What do you plan to use as an air damn to divert air through the radiator?

This is for the rear coupe (smooth) bumper, not the front bumper
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2020 05:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is a groove you should be able to follow that separates the bottom section (normally not painted) from the painted upper section. Some sharp blades, lubrication, and patience should do the trick. I would test this on a junk rear bumper first.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2020 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was flat black, not body color. I agree....practice on another part....you may not like the resulting look.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2020 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blowerwhine:

This is for the rear coupe (smooth) bumper, not the front bumper

Oh... didn't see "rear" mentioned anywhere in your post... but yes, I now notice it in the subject heading.

I painted the lower lip of my Formula's rear bumper silver to match the silver painted side rocker panels. Never liked them painted black, as IMO black rockers make a car appear to sit higher off the ground.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2020 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Look at what's behind that and then think do really you want to see that...

That Lower "trim" hinds exhaust pipes, ~ ½ of muffler, parts of cradle, and more depending on viewers POV. Standing behind a car is often a different view then driver of another car X feet/yards behind you.

You have to be several to many yards behind just to start seeing 84-87 P-brake cables with OE rear fascia and at that distance what you see doesn't matter to most because just gray/black lines in shadows.

If your thinking Replacing the trim... is harder to do w/o causing problems and/or looking wrong/bad.
Parts car I have is a parts car mainly because PO did complete hack job trying to fake "GT" rear top and bigger trim under rear bumper that poorly hinds rear tailpipe.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

nosaint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2020 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaintSend a Private Message to nosaintEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I used one of these for cutting my hood scoop out...

Blowerwhine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2020 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlowerwhineSend a Private Message to BlowerwhineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Look at what's behind that and then think do really you want to see that...

That Lower "trim" hinds exhaust pipes, ~ ½ of muffler, parts of cradle, and more depending on viewers POV. Standing behind a car is often a different view then driver of another car X feet/yards behind you.

You have to be several to many yards behind just to start seeing 84-87 P-brake cables with OE rear fascia and at that distance what you see doesn't matter to most because just gray/black lines in shadows.

If your thinking Replacing the trim... is harder to do w/o causing problems and/or looking wrong/bad.
Parts car I have is a parts car mainly because PO did complete hack job trying to fake "GT" rear top and bigger trim under rear bumper that poorly hinds rear tailpipe.

Well my reasoning is that it wouldn't be higher than a bumperpad rear end would it?
Blowerwhine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2020 07:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlowerwhineSend a Private Message to BlowerwhineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Blowerwhine

129 posts
Member since Jan 2016

Originally posted by fieroguru:

There is a groove you should be able to follow that separates the bottom section (normally not painted) from the painted upper section. Some sharp blades, lubrication, and patience should do the trick. I would test this on a junk rear bumper first.

Sounds good, looks pretty straightforward but I should go find a junkyard bumper first
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2020 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blowerwhine:
Well my reasoning is that it wouldn't be higher than a bumperpad rear end would it?
They have close to same lower end to hind the same parts. IOW old Fascia wraps around exhaust tailpipe(s).
So Cut out later lower trim should make it Higher then old bumper pad fascia and see a lot more of the exhaust etc from back and sides.

GT Indy SE had more lower trim to hind more and make it look lower/aero but still at legal ride height.
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2020 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There is also a plastic reinforcement that attaches to the rear impact bar and the bottom of the rear fascia. It keeps the lower part of the rear fascia from bowing out or sagging.

You will expose a lot of the unsightly mechanically that it hides....exhaust, trunk, rear subframe....
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2020 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That too... Middle Lower Trim is a brace for both fascias. The plastic "Snap rivets" work with the trim to hold fascia straight at bottom.

From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te3Siaq9kKY
Blowerwhine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2020 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlowerwhineSend a Private Message to BlowerwhineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

That too... Middle Lower Trim is a brace for both fascias. The plastic "Snap rivets" work with the trim to hold fascia straight at bottom.

From https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te3Siaq9kKY

I see... Is there a way to swap over the smooth molding into the bumperpad style bumper then?
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2020 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No, not easily.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2020 07:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
because top molding is formed as part of the whole panel.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 03-30-2020).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock