Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Run engine after ream main seal installation?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Run engine after ream main seal installation? by Oregon88
Started on: 03-28-2020 08:24 PM
Replies: 5 (133 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 04-10-2020 10:48 PM
Oregon88

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2020 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oregon88Send a Private Message to Oregon88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I’m at the halfway point on a clutch replacement.
Just replaced rear main seal and am waiting for the RTV to dry on the camshaft real cover plate seal.
I’m thumbing through the Chilton and Hanes manuals to make sure I don’t forget anything, and to my surprise, I find that both manuals say you should start the motor after rear main seal installation to ensure it doesn’t leak.

This information is absent from the factory service manual.

Thought it was pretty interesting. Has anyone done this?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2020 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The big thing I would make sure, is that you lubricated the seal prior to install so that it doesn't run dry.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2020 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oregon88:

to my surprise, I find that both manuals say you should start the motor after rear main seal installation to ensure it doesn’t leak.

I find it odd that you wouldn't want to start it to check for leaks. Seems like the natural thing to do.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Oregon88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2020 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Oregon88Send a Private Message to Oregon88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It just seems weird to run it while all the exhaust is disconnected.

There are conflicting installation procedures, regarding the use of oil to lubricate. Manuals saying yes and the installation directions coming with the new seal saying no.

Did you guys use the special installation tool? or a PVC pipe or just hamer it?
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2020 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd forget the manual that was written for a product over 30 years ago. Use the instructions from the manufacturer of the current product you purchased. They may use different materials for their seals, etc......
I have a 60 Pontiac with grease fittings everywhere. If I bought a replacement ball joint today and went by the cars manual I'd be hard pressed to grease it since they have no grease fittings anymore. They're factory lubricated for life, so they say.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2020 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:

They're factory lubricated for life, so they say.

For "life"... yeah, a short life.

I say "Bring back the nipple!"

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock