86 se water pump stuck by Additivewalnut
Started on: 03-25-2020 07:07 PM
Replies: 27 (580 views)
Last post by: Additivewalnut on 01-25-2021 08:29 PM
Additivewalnut

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2020 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AdditivewalnutSend a Private Message to AdditivewalnutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After 6 hours of blood, sweat, and mud; I got all the water pump bolts out of the stupid thing. But. Now its stuck to the block. Why. What did I miss? Is there more holding it on than just the bolts on the pump?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2020 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If all the bolts are out and the water pump will not release, you can gently tap on it to break it loose but before your try this, be beware that the timing cover needs to be secured FIRST. If not secured you risk breaking the timing cover to block seal which can cause a leak and even allow water into the engine oil. You can secure the timing cover with a simple bracket or use the KD tool bracket designed for it.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 03-25-2020).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2020 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
These are all the bolts that need to be removed. And yes, the temporary clamp is to be mounted before the bolts are loosened/removed.

If the pump appears stuck to the timing cover, instead of tapping it, I personally would rather separate the pump from the cover (by gently prying) where the arrow is pointing.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-25-2020).]

Additivewalnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2020 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AdditivewalnutSend a Private Message to AdditivewalnutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

If the pump appears stuck to the timing cover, instead of tapping it, I personally would rather separate the pump from the cover (by gently prying)

I've tried both tapping and prying. Nothing is working. I'm this close to running the engine to warm it up a little and seeing what happens.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2020 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Additivewalnut:

I've tried both tapping and prying. Nothing is working. I'm this close to running the engine to warm it up a little and seeing what happens.

With all the water pump bolts removed? I wouldn't do that.

Double-check you've removed all 12 bolts.

Additivewalnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2020 08:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AdditivewalnutSend a Private Message to AdditivewalnutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Double-check you've removed all 12 bolts.

I assume I got them all. I'm seriously out of ideas here.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2020 09:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Time for a bigger hammer....
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2020 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Time for a bigger hammer....

YES. If the clamp to hold the timing cover securely is installed.

You can try tapping a very thin putty knife into the gasket to start separating the parts.
I've done this in similar situations, and once in had to drive the putty knife along the gasket for most of the way.

And example picture. I find it best to start tapping the corner of the putty knife into the gasket.

.------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 03-25-2020).]

Additivewalnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2020 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AdditivewalnutSend a Private Message to AdditivewalnutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

YES. If the clamp to hold the timing cover securely is installed

See that's another thing. I dont have a clamp. When I bought the pump it was supposed to have one but guess what wasnt in the box -_-

Is there a work around for this or do I just need to be deadly careful?

And thank you for the putty knife suggestion. I'll try that tomorrow.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2020 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm rather surprised that prying (use plenty of leverage) where I indicated above won't separate the pump from the timing cover.

See that's another thing. I dont have a clamp...

Oh man, if you're having this much trouble separating the pump from the timing cover, then all bets are off. I'd be very concerned that the timing cover to block seal has been (or will be) broken.

Additivewalnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2020 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AdditivewalnutSend a Private Message to AdditivewalnutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'm rather surprised that prying (use plenty of leverage) where I indicated above won't separate the pump from the timing cover.

Me too. I used a straight up crowbar and the thing didnt budge.
PFF
System Bot
Additivewalnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2020 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AdditivewalnutSend a Private Message to AdditivewalnutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I HAD TO USE A TIRE IRON. BUT SHES OFF.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2020 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I HAD TO USE A TIRE IRON. BUT SHES OFF.

Additivewalnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2020 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AdditivewalnutSend a Private Message to AdditivewalnutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
God its finally back on. And it works. No more leaks. I hate this car

I only broke one bolt head.... turns out when you try torquing a 7 pound bolt to 22 pounds, it breaks.

My hand and arm hurt.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2020 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you ever have to drill out broken exhaust manifold bolts on the front bank of the engine, changing the water pump will seem to have been a walk in the park.

Glad you were able to get 'er done.
Additivewalnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2020 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AdditivewalnutSend a Private Message to AdditivewalnutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you ever have to drill out broken exhaust manifold bolts on the front bank of the engine

Glad you were able to get 'er done.

That sounds like genuine torture
PK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2020 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm too late but well done.

This neat template came with my pump gasket with design of hold down bracket.

The pump came with a bracket anyway but the bracket design might help the next person with this delightful job.

Hoorah for PFF tellingbone image postings.

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 03-28-2020).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2020 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PK:

This neat template came with my pump gasket with design of hold down bracket.

Very interesting. That's the first time I've ever seen that posted here or anywhere else!

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2020 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A pump & timing cover housing stuck that tight sounds like a previous owner replaced it and used Indian Head sealer on everything. That's an old school product from the 60's maybe earlier. I had trouble removing heads from my GTO using that stuff. With all bolts removed I wasn't able to blow the heads off the block by cranking the engine and I'm talking about 10.75:1 compression.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2020 04:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
PK, Thanks for posting the picture of the tool. Also thanks for posting with the tape measure but can you add some detailed dimensions to the picture of the clamp tool? Width of the tool, length, distance between bolt holes and distance from the edge to locate the centre of the bolts would be appreciated.

------------------
Mike in Sydney

PK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2020 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi Mike,

I did want to make an accurate scan of it and make it available but my level of technology extends to just this tellingbone.

I will certainly do as you ask next time I am in the same place as the template, give me a few days. Else I can resort to a pencil and trace it for you and post. :0)
PFF
System Bot
PK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2020 05:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No pencil but made a quick sketch. Measurements in foreign. :0)

[This message has been edited by PK (edited 03-31-2020).]

Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2020 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, PK. No worries about the metric measurements. I've lived in Australia long enough to get "metrificated" or "metrified".

------------------
Mike in Sydney

Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2020 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mike in Sydney

657 posts
Member since Sep 2011
Double post. One deleted.
------------------
Mike in Sydney

[This message has been edited by Mike in Sydney (edited 03-31-2020).]

ArthurPeale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2021 05:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArthurPealeSend a Private Message to ArthurPealeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This post could be mine. Exact same issue. Pump doesn't want to budge, even with a 24" pry bar.

Now, with what I know about the clamp, I'm praying that that's a good thing.

Anyone have one they can drop into the post? AC Delco one says it's supposed to be in the box (it's not) and Rock Auto says I need to find it myself.
Additivewalnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2021 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AdditivewalnutSend a Private Message to AdditivewalnutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ArthurPeale:

This post could be mine. Exact same issue. Pump doesn't want to budge, even with a 24" pry bar.

I found that instead of trying to pry it off, getting a tire iron or something that has a 90° angle on it wedged into the notch in the water pump and giving it a twisting force will pop it right off without breaking the timing cover seal. I never got the bracket with my pump and didn't have any issues after using the tire iron.

Best of luck, man.
ArthurPeale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2021 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArthurPealeSend a Private Message to ArthurPealeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I found that instead of trying to pry it off, getting a tire iron or something that has a 90° angle on it wedged into the notch in the water pump and giving it a twisting force will pop it right off without breaking the timing cover seal. I never got the bracket with my pump and didn't have any issues after using the tire iron.

Best of luck, man.

I would hope that my 24" prybar with a wide pry face would be enough, but....
Additivewalnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2021 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AdditivewalnutSend a Private Message to AdditivewalnutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ArthurPeale:

I would hope that my 24" prybar with a wide pry face would be enough, but....

Not even kidding, I snapped a crowbar trying to get the stupid thing off.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock