Bumper molding removal? by Mike in Sydney
Started on: 03-23-2020 07:13 AM
Replies: 9 (330 views)
Last post by: Frenchrafe on 03-25-2020 02:58 AM
Mike in Sydney

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2020 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm preparing my black '86 GT for a paint job. I plan to remove all of the trim, door handles, etc. so I can prepare the body by sanding. Can someone tell me how to remove the belt molding from the rear bumper cover and the small belt molding pieces in front of the front side marker lights? Do I need to remove the front and rear bumper covers to remove these?

------------------
Mike in Sydney

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
vette7584

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2020 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vette7584Send a Private Message to vette7584Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
without getting to in depth, yes you do need to remove the bumpers to remove the trim. hope all is well in OZ.
nosaint

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2020 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosaintSend a Private Message to nosaintEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
rear moulding on bumper is part of bumper and doesnt come off. the rest is held on with screws and push clips...

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2020 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only thing removable is the GT emblem on the rear cover.
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2020 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, guys. I may drop the bumper covers anyway to make painting easier. I'll ask the painter what's best. It may be a full, panel-off paint job. I kinda thought that the rear molding was part of the rear bumper cover but I was looking for confirmation. I'm about 80% sure the belt molding in front of the forward side marker lights are separate pieces but I could be wrong. Does anyone know to remove them?

------------------
Mike in Sydney

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2020 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike in Sydney:

Thanks, guys. I may drop the bumper covers anyway to make painting easier. I'll ask the painter what's best. It may be a full, panel-off paint job. I kinda thought that the rear molding was part of the rear bumper cover but I was looking for confirmation. I'm about 80% sure the belt molding in front of the forward side marker lights are separate pieces but I could be wrong. Does anyone know to remove them?

This is how they come off

Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2020 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the picture. I was guessing a clip or something similar. I would have broken them, for sure. I'll drop the fender liner and get a wrench on it.

Stay socially isolated, folks. Here in country Australia my closest neighbour is half a kilometre. We've got plenty of bog-rolls (it's what it sounds like) and the beer-fridge in the shop is stocked with plenty of Corona, Budweisser, and One-fifty Lashes pale ale. Also, I find that liberal applications of brake cleaner, motor-oil, and Go-Jo work well for disinfecting my hands.

If you like cowboy poetry, here's some from down under: https://youtu.be/ia0bfWbOLjY

Be safe.

------------------
Mike in Sydney

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2020 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Those things are so very difficult to remove. It requires a 10mm socket and it seems that all 10mm sockets have inexplicably disappeared or been lost.
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2020 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LOL...No worries, Mate. Got lots of 10-mm sockets in the toolbox. Yours must come south to be with the rest of the metric brood.https://www.fiero.nl/forum/icons/icon12.gif

------------------
Mike in Sydney

Frenchrafe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2020 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FrenchrafeSend a Private Message to FrenchrafeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Liked the Cowboy poetry!!
It's a shame that some people react so stupid in face of a crisis…!?
We have had the same types of idiots here organising "family" BBQs, and other taking their rabbits for a walk in order to get out of the house.

For the 10mm sockets, there's no shortage of them here in France.

Good job to repaint your Fiero. I went through the same total strip down when I did mine, and yes the little 10mm nuts really drive you nuts. Especially when they chew up the plastic stem and refuse to come off!!

Stay safe and stay healthy,
Rafe

------------------
'87 Fiero GT. 3800 turbo. Sticky tyres. Driven hard!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock