1984 Fiero SE 2M4 Dies After Letting Off Throttle by Sanhino
Started on: 03-22-2020 12:41 PM
Replies: 2 (105 views)
Last post by: theogre on 03-23-2020 05:19 PM
Sanhino

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2020 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SanhinoSend a Private Message to SanhinoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The title pretty much explains it. I've been having high idling issues which is in another thread, but when it feels like cooperating and idling properly, when I give it gas and let off it drops down to about 400-500 rpm and sometimes is able to pull itself out of it, and sometimes just flat out dies. My first thought is the fuel pump but I previously spliced in a fuel pressure gauge and fuel pressure isn't dropping when this happens, it consistently reads about 10-11 psi consistently. I've also replaced the IAC, TPS, and MAP sensors, as well as the vacuum lines as part of my high idling issue. Any thoughts?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2020 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The two issues may be connected. There will be a bit of re-learn time for the computer after working on the high idle problem.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2020 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:
The two issues may be connected. There will be a bit of re-learn time for the computer after working on the high idle problem.
While first part is likely very true... Second isn't if you drive the car.

These old ECMs are very dumb and forgets most things every time keys is off. For that matter Forgets most things in a few seconds to a minute or two when the engine is on and running. ECM needs standby power mainly to save DTC(s) set by whatever errors cause by iffy/bad sensors etc.
Is why ECM needs driving > 35mph to reset IAC every time you run the engine.

NORMALLY IAC will be close to same setting to get cold engine to work right but ECM has nothing to make sure IAC is true until that reset cycle.
New IAC or just take out old IAC to clean the port then ECM is more confused until the reset cycle.

You need a ECM scan tool to read sensors etc. because iffy wiring and plugs may make sensor value read way wrong, ECM sees low/high volts regardless of volts You see elsewhere, and more.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock