no start question... by oregonfieroguy
Started on: 03-20-2020 04:14 PM
Replies: 6 (396 views)
Last post by: theogre on 03-21-2020 12:26 PM
oregonfieroguy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2020 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oregonfieroguySend a Private Message to oregonfieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 4 cylinder. I have it in my driveway, and I don't drive it all the time. I try to take it out once a month at least, to make sure the battery is still OK, and it runs. I ran the battery down, had to jump start it, but it still seems to run fine. It has always started right up. Ignition seems to work well.

The other day I took it out, and went somewhere... shut it down. When I came back to the car, it almost didn't start, turns over, but didn't catch at all. Then, it did blast to life. I brought it home and covered it up, and forgot about it.

When I tried to start it recently, it turns over, but won't start.

I'm really not a great mechanic...I do the simple things I think I can't screw up.

So, first thing I did was change the fuel filter, it seemed a little clogged with the blow test.. No go.

I don't have diagnostic equip, nor a lot of know how. However, the three things I think I could handle are:

Distributor Rotor, or cap
Coil
ICM

All of these seem fairly easy, and I could handle them.

Do you guys have any advice? Knowing that one detail... that it started once and ran fine, before it finally died. Does that tell you something? Like the ICM wouldn't Work/not work/ work/not work...

What do you think?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2020 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you have spark that'll jump 1/4", it's not your ignition.

I'd suspect fuel pressure, or lack thereof. Tons of threads posted here about fuel pressure for the duke. Here's mine.
oregonfieroguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2020 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for oregonfieroguySend a Private Message to oregonfieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks for the idea...

I had the fuel pump replaced a while ago (6 years?). I didn't do it, a shop did it.

Would it go bad? I've also heard that the car sitting for long periods is bad for the fuel pump system... but not sure why.

I think fuel pump is above my pay grade to do.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2020 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by oregonfieroguy:

Would it go bad? I've also heard that the car sitting for long periods is bad for the fuel pump system... but not sure why.

If you read the thread I previously linked to, you'll learn what can "go bad". If you're in a big rush, go Here.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-20-2020).]

shemdogg

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2020 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Squirt a little starting fluid down the intake and try to start. If it starts up then u have a fuel problem. If it doesnt start then u have an ignition problem.

shem
oregonfieroguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2020 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for oregonfieroguySend a Private Message to oregonfieroguyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks guys, this was helpful.... I'm suspecting fuel pump now....
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2020 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pump is likely still good but rubber connect pump to pipe is often wrong w/ new pumps and gas w/ or w/o ethanol can eat wrong type hose.

Or maybe out of gas even tho gauge say has gas.
Or gas is "bad" for storage a lot time. Worse if tank etc leaks air/fumes w/o leaking liquid on floor/ground.
Or pump sock and/or fuel filter(s) full of crap. (Main filter you see and screen(s) on the injector or injector itself is plugs.) ⚠️ No fuel flow for any reason not only makes engine problem can kill the pump because fuel is coolant and lube for it.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 03-21-2020).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock