Left blinker/ wiring issues by Kwmiller
Started on: 03-20-2020 09:13 AM
Replies: 8 (175 views)
Last post by: Mike in Sydney on 03-25-2020 07:44 PM
Kwmiller

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2020 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KwmillerSend a Private Message to KwmillerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
85 2.5 fiero 5 spd isuzu

Finally down to the last few problems with this car and the issue is the right blinker. It stays solid where the left blinker works fine. Bulbs all light up in the back of the car and stay lit so they're not burnt out. But the side markers do all different things.

With the right blinker on, The right side rear bulb is NOT lit but the right front side bulb IS lit.

With the park lights on, the right front side bulb is NOT lit but the right rear side bulb IS lit.

When the hazards are on all lights work except both rear side lights. And the front right side marker works all of a sudden.

I switched bulbs around between me parts car and this car. No difference. I could care less about the side markers working or not but I'm pretty sure one of them is affecting my rear blinkerlights.
On a side note when I put the fuse in for the wipers they work in hi, low, and OFF. So the wiper fuse is out for a reason. Switched what I believe is the wiper switch ( the plastic rod with the wiper settings coming out of the left side of the steering column) i switched it with the one from my parts car and no difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated as wiring is definitely not my strong suit. Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2020 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check out the Ogre's Cave. On the pulldown menu, go to ELECTRICAL/GENERAL/SNEAK PATH
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2020 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Maybe that... See my Cave, Sneak Path
or any ground in sockets or wire to them for dead side is hosed.

Bulbs can fail too other then obvious blown bulb.

Just get 10 pack of 2057 from NAPA etc so can replace all at once. bulk pack should be a lot less $ the buying 2 packs for 8 units.

see also Cave, Lighbulbs

Check the bulbs out of taillight assem etc so can easy see the filaments.
Example bad ground can make 1 or more light both when only 1 should be on.

front park/turn...
Raise HL up then unplug the motors so can get at park/turn socket w/o pulling lens apart.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 03-20-2020).]

Kwmiller

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2020 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KwmillerSend a Private Message to KwmillerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Finally got to working on the car, started replacing bulbs for the side markers. Took a multimeter to the bulb sockets for the side markers and got a 12 v reading on both front side markers, both bulbs light up but don't blink. But I only got a reading of .33 on both rear side markers, and even with new bulbs would not even come on. Where are the rear side markers grounded to? They go into the main harness but I'm not sure where the ground points are at. I'm guessing near the front? Thanks
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2020 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
remove the wheel well liner to see the ground.

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2020 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See my Cave, LED Marker Light
First section shows How front markers work.

Front bulbs won't blink w/ rear bulbs have problems w/ thermal blinker can because thermal flasher units are picky about # of bulbs. In Fiero, Turn can expect ~ 3 bulbs but Hazard flasher expect all bulbs at same time.

Aftermarket Thermal flashers aren't made exact same as OE ones (Even if made by same company) and many are electronic units that often blink w/ only 1 or 2 bulbs loading them.

Rear markers turn on w/ taillights only and ground as all the rest rear lights.

Ground under rear "fender" is likely good because other side works.

@ sockets, check volts to frame directly then to socket ground. Should be close to same volts.
Socket see near 0v then Peirce wire(s) w/ a needle near C500 and test volts to frame there. Coat wires w/ silicon or brake grease to seal out water after.

If sockets get "12v" but bulbs don't light or both filament light when turn light on the ground part of socket is likely bent and not making contact w/ bulb side.
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2020 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You're describing a problem that happened to me last week. Spend a couple of bucks and buy a new OEM or equal turn signal flasher. Foe some reason the "heavy-duty" aftermarket flasher that I used when I installed new parking / turn signals to meet Australian lighting rules shorted out internally. (You can see it thru the clear plastic cover.). I replaced the flasher and everything is fine now.

------------------
Mike in Sydney

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2020 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike in Sydney:
You're describing a problem that happened to me last week. Spend a couple of bucks and buy a new OEM or equal turn signal flasher. Foe some reason the "heavy-duty" aftermarket flasher that I used when I installed new parking / turn signals to meet Australian lighting rules shorted out internally. (You can see it thru the clear plastic cover.). I replaced the flasher and everything is fine now.
Did you put a plastic case flasher in OE metal clip near steering column? Never do that. the clip can crush or break the plastic case and short out the flasher.

Many clips like Fiero turn flasher are made to work w/ metal case cans.
Some old cars have OE plastic case cans and may have clips to hold them but these clips are made different and doesn't crush or shape point piercing the case.

many OE flashers where made by Tridon now called Novita Tech.
While you can find NOS Thermal flashers, I think they stopped making them several years ago.
Tridon/Novita # listed in my Cave, Lighbulbs uses relay and some electronic to flasher.
Blazer one seems better and been running for ~ 9 years for me.

All have plastic cases.
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2020 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep. I did. Plastic case instead of the aluminium case that you find on an OEM unit. Changed back to the OEM type with an aluminium case.

------------------
Mike in Sydney

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock