Rear Ball Joint replacement by donuteater306
Started on: 03-19-2020 11:44 PM
Replies: 16 (759 views)
Last post by: donuteater306 on 04-03-2021 11:17 PM
donuteater306

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2020 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have step by step instructions for replacing the rear ball joints? I replaced them about 9-10 years ago so they're bolted on. I have the new joints and plan to tackle the job on Saturday. I cannot remember how to separate the joint from the spindle.

If I recall, we raised the vehicle and supported it on jack stands. Put the jack under the control arm, unbolted the castle nut and support bolt. Then lowered the control arm. Is this correct?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2020 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Once the bolt is out, the stud should just slide out of the lower part of the knuckle when you lower the A arm.
The originals had a small relief cut in the stud part of the joint so that they will not come out unless the bolt is totally removed, don't know about new ones these days.
Maybe hit it with some pb blaster to handle any rust that might cause it to bind.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2020 09:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sometimes you need to pry open the split on the spindle where the bolt tightens on the ball joint stud. A couple of taps with a hammer and a large straight blade screwdriver does the trick.

------------------
86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post03-20-2020 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pickle fork.
ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2020 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Pickle fork.

Shouldn't need it on the rears as they are not tapered.

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2020 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
True but you get a lot of corrosion and the studs get frozen in place. Sometimes they drop right out but from my experience they need a bit of persuasion usually.

------------------
86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2020 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And this is EXACTLY why I posed this question here on PFF. Everyone’s experiences differ, and all of it helps. Thank you, I appreciate your help.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2020 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
They could come out easily, especially if you've replaced them during your ownership.

Install the new ones with anti-seize on the shank to ensure they come out next time.
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2020 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well, I quarantined myself in the garage and replaced the right rear ball joint today. In total, it took about 30 minutes. I was a little disappointed tho...the worn joint was a Moog Problem Solver. I thought that the last time I changed them I had used a cheap set of no-name brand parts because at that time, I was still deciding on what I was going to do with the car. I was considering an 88 cradle swap but decided against it.

Anyway, only the right balljoint was worn, and it was REALLY worn. Why would there be such a difference between the two sides?
ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2020 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Was the dust cap not put on correctly, letting dirt/grit in which would act like an abrasive.

------------------

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2020 08:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by donuteater306:

Well, I quarantined myself in the garage

I been trying to do that myself, no luck yet. My job is apparently essential.

PFF
System Bot
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2020 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MarkS:

I been trying to do that myself, no luck yet. My job is apparently essential.

donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2020 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

donuteater306

688 posts
Member since Feb 2010

Originally posted by ltlfrari:

Was the dust cap not put on correctly, letting dirt/grit in which would act like an abrasive.

Nothing appeared out of the ordinary. Everything was together and packed with grease. I drive it about 3-5k miles per year, rain or shine. Ball joints are 10 years old so roughly 40k miles on them. I can understand them not being “new” after 40k, just thought it was weird to have such a difference in wear between the two.
MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2020 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Right rear ball joint. From experience, it seems anything on the right side is more susceptible to roar conditions, puddles, pot holes etc (unless you are in those places were they drive on the wrong side of the road ). Noticed this mostly on the brake components.
SemperFi18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2021 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SemperFi18Send a Private Message to SemperFi18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know what those brackets that mount with the ball joints are called? During my rebuild process I seem to have misplaced those.. the ones that sit in between the control arm and the knuckle?
SemperFi18

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2021 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SemperFi18Send a Private Message to SemperFi18Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SemperFi18

64 posts
Member since Aug 2016
This oneThis images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.
donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2021 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry man, I do NOT know what those are called. You'll prob have to get them from a wrecking yard tho.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock