Performance suspension by Monkeybean007
Started on: 03-16-2020 10:57 PM
Replies: 45 (1321 views)
Last post by: Monkeybean007 on 04-07-2020 10:03 PM
Monkeybean007

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2020 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What are the best options for shocks that I could turn into coilovers, I'm tracking the fiero(yes I love it ) and I'm curious what ones to get to help with that.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can look for some used Koni's or just get some KYB's.
Monkeybean007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are kybs good for that?
DrXtreme

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrXtremeSend a Private Message to DrXtremeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have KYB's all the way around on my 1988 Mera and love them. I'm still going through suspension components, but rear bushings appear to be all poly and rear has coil overs. I really like the ride and handling, sporty but not hard either.

Dr Xtreme
Monkeybean007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What kybs are they? And sound like what I want and what coilovers kit did you go with? Make your own or wcf?
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Monkeybean007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

[shameless plug]

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/076627.html
http://fieroguruperformance.com/?page_id=267

[/shameless plug]

Very tempting 🤔
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not related to Shocks, but here is my ideas about how to mount Stabilizer bars to improve the handling of Fieros.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/140674.html
Spadesluck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeybean007:

Are kybs good for that?

I would say yes they are, as others have already pointed out. I have KYB's with my home built coilovers and they work great. FIeroguru can make it even easier for you. ha
Monkeybean007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it hard to make your own?
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hardest part is cutting the spring perch off of the struts....The other critical thing is getting screw-sleeves that properly fit the strut...I bought some, thinking I had nailed the dimensions, and found out they would not work. Fiero Guru had the right size sleeves and that solved my problem (Well...One of my problems...)

I had KYB GR2 struts out back- switched to Konis.....slightly better- not a huge difference. I would not spend the money again for the change. It may be better for a dedicated track car- but even then I don't think it is worth it.

By the way, on the Konis, the top of the strut has to be ground down so that the sleeves can slip over it.....That is a miserable job also!

PFF
System Bot
Monkeybean007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So sounds like definitely kyb for shocks, and fieroguru does all the hard work for them? And his kit if front and rear or just rear? And what kind of instalation goes into installing his kit.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you buy the level 4 kit, they are fully assembled with the spring rates and colors of your choice and will looks very similar to these:

Install of the level 4 is to remove the old strut (2 large bolts, 1 brake line hose screw, and the nuts on the strut hat studs), install the new one, connect all the bolts, nuts and screws, then have the car aligned.

The levels 1-3 require you to prepare the strut for the coilover conversion. This requires cutting off the spring perch on the strut (which is a pressurized cylinder). You have to be very careful with cutting and heat generation, so probably not something a first time fabricator should be doing.

The fronts are much, much harder and 95% of the time require some level of fabrication by the installer.
Monkeybean007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So no front ones, then what's recommended for the front? And what color options 🤔🤔
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am pretty sure your fiero is an 84-87, so front coilovers would require lots of cutting and welding. The easiest way to lower the front 1" would be to get Rodney's lowering ball joints.
Beyond that, most people either cut the stock springs or buy lowering springs. The dropped spindles are hard to find and cost about $1000 when you do.

For the rears....
Options:
  • Sleeve Color: Black and Silver are the stocked colors, but Red and Blue are available at no additional charge.
  • Sleeve Placement: On top of spring perch weld bead, or on top of knuckle mounting tabs at the base of the strut.
  • Springs: Black and Silver are the available colors, spring lengths can be 10" or 12", spring rates can be between 250 lb/in to 450 lb/in at no additional charge. Red, yellow and other colors available for an additional charge, but not all spring rates are available in every color.
  • Strut Hat Orientation: 88 Fieros have the option of flipping the strut hat bushing plate - no charge.
  • Strut Hat Spring Centering Sleeves - Inside is used for the stock strut hat configuration and machined aluminum spring locator used for the flipped strut hat.
Monkeybean007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I always forget to put the details about my car, it's an 85gt v6 2.8l and how lond do they usually take to make and get to me? I'm US based.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Normally it is a 7 day turn around. With all the various options, they are made to order.
Monkeybean007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's not too bad at all
La fiera

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for La fieraSend a Private Message to La fieraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did my own swaybars out of NASCAR suspension parts. Theres a member here that makes something similar to sell.
I think his name is 4runner???? Mine are like his but the diffence is that with his you can't interchange the bars front to rears
and viceversa. I made my kit where I can swap them because they are the same lenght.
Since I'm also now using very stiff springs now I'm working on shocks and struts to match the springs.
I'll will make a tread once they are made and tested.

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2020 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As for the front coilovers for 84-87, like Fieroguru said you are out of luck as most stuff is no longer available. But you could use Rodneys drop ball joints and/or lowering springs and get some QA1 shocks. Take a stock shock off and measure the extended length and collapsed length, note the type of fittings on it and go through the QA1 catalogue and I am sure you will find a shock to match. They come in steel and aluminum body, single and double adjustable (and triple adjustable in a gas over oil shock). No this will not give you front coilovers but it would be cheaper and be very close performance wise.

------------------
86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

Z3SpdDmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2020 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Z3SpdDmnSend a Private Message to Z3SpdDmnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FFS, the KYBs are not a performance damper. The Excel-G are underdamped for a GT, just in street use.
Konis would be bare minimum for a track car, but you would be better off going with a true coil-over setup if you're getting serious about track use. You'll get the ride height adjustment for corner-balance and rake tuning, many more off-the-shelf spring options, and the possibility to rebuild/revalve the dampers.

------------------
Anthony

'88 Fiero GT 5-spd "barn find"
www.DriveFasterNow.com

PFF
System Bot
Monkeybean007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2020 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Z3SpdDmn:

FFS, the KYBs are not a performance damper. The Excel-G are underdamped for a GT, just in street use.
Konis would be bare minimum for a track car, but you would be better off going with a true coil-over setup if you're getting serious about track use. You'll get the ride height adjustment for corner-balance and rake tuning, many more off-the-shelf spring options, and the possibility to rebuild/revalve the dampers.

Ya I'm preety serious about tracking this car, unfortunately the seasons closed for now, which just gives me more time to work on my car 😂 and ya I'm looking at coilovers for it as I know that'll make the most difference.
Spadesluck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2020 03:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To give you an idea of what folks are talking about for the front coilover setup take a look at this Thread. This is what I have on my car along with some others.
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2020 04:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

Not related to Shocks, but here is my ideas about how to mount Stabilizer bars to improve the handling of Fieros.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/140674.html

I had to give you a positive rating for knowing that more than one Fiero is spelled "Fieros", not "Fiero's "

wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2020 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Z3SpdDmn:

Unfortunately, Koni are not available for Fiero rear struts any longer. You might find a set used .

------------------
rear SLA suspension

Z3SpdDmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2020 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Z3SpdDmnSend a Private Message to Z3SpdDmnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wftb:

Unfortunately, Koni are not available for Fiero rear struts any longer. You might find a set used .

Unfortunately, that's true. Here's the latest discussion. Rears seem to be gone, but there are some fronts still out there.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/142790.html

------------------
Anthony

'88 Fiero GT 5-spd "barn find"
www.DriveFasterNow.com

wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2020 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I forgot about this koni insert for stock/KYB/Monroe struts. Here is a video on how to do it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXSnNZt3NiI

------------------
rear SLA suspension

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2020 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMHO, the front spring rate on the 85 GT WS6 suspension is too high, the car pushes like crazy.
After my 85GT got totaled sitting in front of my house, I replaced it with an 86SE that had the heavy duty suspension and rally suspension RPO codes, not WS6.
Both were 2.8 four speeds, same tires and wheels.
The 86 handled much better on entrance and you could get on the throttle earlier coming out of the corner.

As to your project....
The Fiero Store heavy duty front and rear sway bar set is one of the best upgrades you can do to balance the car.
Monkeybean007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2020 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

IMHO, the front spring rate on the 85 GT WS6 suspension is too high, the car pushes like crazy.
After my 85GT got totaled sitting in front of my house, I replaced it with an 86SE that had the heavy duty suspension and rally suspension RPO codes, not WS6.
Both were 2.8 four speeds, same tires and wheels.
The 86 handled much better on entrance and you could get on the throttle earlier coming out of the corner.

As to your project....
The Fiero Store heavy duty front and rear sway bar set is one of the best upgrades you can do to balance the car.

I'll take a look into the ones on the store and I can say I was honestly surprised with the handling that it took on corners not the best but it handled super well. I also appreciate everyone's comments on this and have looked at all the links that have been posted so far so thank you guys!
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2020 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you were surprised at the handling I suspect you don't have much seat time in the car yet.

After you learn the nuances of driving a Fiero hard, you will find that you run out of pucker before the car runs out of stickum.

Monkeybean007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2020 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you were surprised at the handling I suspect you don't have much seat time in the car yet.

After you learn the nuances of driving a Fiero hard, you will find that you run out of pucker before the car runs out of stickum.

I've only had the car for about a month but my impression was based off of how much people talk crap on the fiero both on this forum and outside on its stock performance so I had low expectations because of that, and was pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be better than what everyone has said so far.
PFF
System Bot
Monkeybean007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2020 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Monkeybean007

145 posts
Member since Feb 2020
Also just an update don't know if this changes anything but it has an 88gt end and suspension on it not the 85.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2020 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have always been fascinated by owners that do the spring over shock conversion. Yes they are adjustable and probably better for road racing but I've always thought that they provide a harsh ride and are unsuitable for street use.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Monkeybean007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2020 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

I have always been fascinated by owners that do the spring over shock conversion. Yes they are adjustable and probably better for road racing but I've always thought that they provide a harsh ride and are unsuitable for street use.

That's the main reason I'm wanting to add them on is because this isn't my daily driver but is my first "modify" cat so I'm just experimenting and seeing what's good and not.
Spadesluck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2020 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I would have to say no they are not hard for daily driving. If you run a softer spring rate you will be fine. The coil over provides a lot of adjustments that the traditional does not. I drove from New Mexico to Pennsylvania last summer on a full coil over suspension and did not have any problems.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2020 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

You can make the coilovers with whatever spring rate you want. Many people opt for a 250 lb/in to keep near stock ride but have the ability to raise and lower the ride height.
wftb

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2020 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Raising and lowering the car is why I have coil overs. That and being able to easily change springs. There is an old saying among oval track racers "the lowest corner takes the weight" unless you have adjustability you cant do anything about that.

------------------
rear SLA suspension

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2020 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Monkeybean007:

Also just an update don't know if this changes anything but it has an 88gt end and suspension on it not the 85.

Ok.
What year is the car?
Does it have an 88 rear cradle swap?
------If it has been swapped, does it have a sway bar?
Has the front suspension been modified or swapped?
Monkeybean007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2020 12:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monkeybean007Send a Private Message to Monkeybean007Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ok.
What year is the car?
Does it have an 88 rear cradle swap?
------If it has been swapped, does it have a sway bar?
Has the front suspension been modified or swapped?

Its an 85 front with an 88 rear, and I honestly wouldn't be able to tell the difference if it's been swapped in the front or not how would I go about that ?
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2020 07:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The pre-88 front suspension has the shock mounted aft of the suspension. The 88 front suspension has the shock mounted inside the coil spring.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock