Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  West Coast Fiero Hydraulic Power Steering......Welding required?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
West Coast Fiero Hydraulic Power Steering......Welding required? by imacflier
Started on: 03-15-2020 01:19 PM
Replies: 10 (369 views)
Last post by: Spoon on 03-16-2020 08:42 PM
imacflier

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2020 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Afternoon, All,

I am interested in the hydraulic power steering from WCF. I cannot tell from the web site and descriptions if the rack adapter is bolt on or must be welded. As usual, WCF has not been responive to my email....so....Does anyone know the answer?

Larry
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2020 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No
imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2020 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not trying to be a smart ass, but "No: no welding required" or "No: no one knows"?

TIA for the clarification!

Larry
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2020 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No welding required, but maybe some slight mods to fit.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2020 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The p/s kit I purchased from WCF some years ago was a virtual bolt in. There are 2 mounting pods on the front cross member. The one on the drivers side has to be cut off flush with the cross member. Once its cut there is no going back. That's why I picked up an extra cross member before I started, just in case.

When I told them my Fiero had a 2.8 in it, I had to beg them to sell me the kit. They claimed it won't work on a 2.8 due to lack of a pump. I convinced them that it would and they shipped it.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2020 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:

The p/s kit I purchased from WCF some years ago was a virtual bolt in. There are 2 mounting pods on the front cross member. The one on the drivers side has to be cut off flush with the cross member. Once its cut there is no going back. That's why I picked up an extra cross member before I started, just in case.

When I told them my Fiero had a 2.8 in it, I had to beg them to sell me the kit. They claimed it won't work on a 2.8 due to lack of a pump. I convinced them that it would and they shipped it.

Spoon

I recall seeing that P/S install when you had the 2.8L and you did a fabulous job on it. Don't recall seeing a P/S pump on your 3800SC install. As for never going back, I just upgraded our welder to a Hobart 190 Handler gas mig and you can fab just about anything with that setup and it's very easy to use. Not trying to sell you anything but if you need to weld ( or need a way to go back) it's a great welder.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2020 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Guys

Very helpful and appreciated.

I think will install using the MR-2 Spyder electric pump. It appears that the MR-2 VSS is very close to the Fiero (although I have not determined if it is a 5vdc or 12vdc level yet).

Anyway, I will post as the process begins!

Larry
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2020 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was also looking at using the MR2 Spyder pump; From what I have read, it needs A) Key power to turn on, B) A ground, C) a Heavy duty 12 V supply and D) the (Stock) signal from the Fiero VSS....No mods are necessary. I have not carried thru because I have several other projects going on (Plus Lupus caused by Omeprazole (Don't touch that crap!)

As far as telling you that "You can't use it if you have a Fiero 2.8" What kind of silliness is that? If you have the skill to install their PWR Steering kit, I would think you could add a beltdriven (Or electric) pump...It's not rocket science (Umm.......mount pump, add belt, connect hoses.....let's see.....maybe add oil...? Ummm......Duh.......)

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 03-16-2020).]

Spoon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2020 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
imacflier, here's a peek of my 2.8 with pwr-steering.

After doing the 3800sc swap I only had to reconnect a few wires. I set it up to be activated by an adjustable pressure switch (15 psi) tee'd in under the oil pressure switch. The rest of the setup is independent of the engine. Speed sensor is tied into the yellow wire on the VSS for the 4 spd trans.

Everything works fine.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2020 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:
I set it up to be activated by an adjustable pressure switch (15 psi) tee'd in under the oil pressure switch.

Is that so that the pump will shut off if the engine is not running?
Spoon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2020 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Correct.. The system will act like a belt driven pump. Engine stall, run out of gas, throw a rod or key off = no power steering.

Spoon

------------------

[This message has been edited by Spoon (edited 03-16-2020).]

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock