Reverse gear by M.aaron80
Started on: 03-14-2020 10:01 PM
Replies: 16 (299 views)
Last post by: pmbrunelle on 05-23-2020 11:44 AM
M.aaron80

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2020 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for M.aaron80Send a Private Message to M.aaron80Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 86 gt 4 sod. I did a getrag 5spd swap. All gears work but reverse.no grinding or weird nosies. I did see the master cylinder has a small leak behind the pedal but clutch pedal still slightly firm. And the rod in the slave cylinder don’t seem to be moving. Could be worn out slave?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2020 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you have the original 4 speed shifter you need to remove the reverse lockout mechanism from the shifter. If all the gears work without grinding or having to push really hard to go into gear with the engine running you do not have a hydraulic problem.

------------------
86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

[This message has been edited by wftb (edited 03-15-2020).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2020 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by M.aaron80:

All gears work but reverse.no grinding or weird nosies.

...the rod in the slave cylinder don’t seem to be moving.

I don't understand how any gears "work" if the slave isn't moving.

M.aaron80

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2020 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for M.aaron80Send a Private Message to M.aaron80Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes I have the original 4spd. and I have the 5spd floor shifter installed. Yes this is throwing me for a loop about it working
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2020 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes this is throwing me for a loop about it working

Ummm... I think we've got us a communication problem here.

There's no way ANY of the gears are going to shift properly while the engine is running if the slave isn't moving... unless the clutch is somehow stuck disengaged.
M.aaron80

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2020 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for M.aaron80Send a Private Message to M.aaron80Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
*UPDATE* slave cylinder does seem to be working but the rod inside of it is not fully extending. Maybe this is because the leak in the clutch master cylinder? Also I did not have the rod that came with the with the 5spd slave cylinder so I used the rod from the 4spd slave. Any difference?
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2020 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The slave rod on my 86 only moves about 1.25 " roughly. When the hydraulic system developes a leak it usually causes more air ingress than fluid leaking. But the air in the system is what causes the rod to not move very much. Pitting in the slave cylinder bore is what causes most air ingress.

------------------
86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

M.aaron80

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2020 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for M.aaron80Send a Private Message to M.aaron80Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a new clutch master on the way. The rod moves about half inch. Is the 5spd shifting pattern 1 3 5 on top row and 2 4 R for the bottoms row?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2020 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The rod moves about half inch.

Not nearly enough.

Is the 5spd shifting pattern 1 3 5 on top row and 2 4 R for the bottoms row?

Yes.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-16-2020).]

M.aaron80

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for M.aaron80Send a Private Message to M.aaron80Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
*UPDATE* if I push the lever for the cable that moves side to side it will go into reverse gear. Clutch master cylinder has been installed. I did buy the slave from Facebook market. The rod inside of it is only moving half inch
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The rod inside of it is only moving half inch

Travel required at the slave is 1-1/8" minimum.

Does your clutch pedal hit the floor?

There are literally hundreds of threads here re-hashing hydraulic clutch issues. Look into bleeding procedures, bent pedals, etc.

I did not have the rod that came with the with the 5spd slave cylinder so I used the rod from the 4spd slave. Any difference?

If the 4spd slave rod is shorter (and I don't know that it is), it's possible your slave is reaching the end of its outward travel before the clutch is being disengaged.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-18-2020).]

PFF
System Bot
M.aaron80

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for M.aaron80Send a Private Message to M.aaron80Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will check al that out. Also I am using the shifter arm. (With the knob on it) that was from the 4spd shifter. Is this a problem?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-18-2020 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I wouldn't think that the shifter arm would make any difference... as long as it has free range of motion.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2020 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
M.aaron80...

Did you get this clutch thing sorted out?
What was the final solution?

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 05-22-2020).]

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2020 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
Travel required at the slave is 1-1/8" minimum.

I banged my head trying to bleed my clutch over and over again to hit this commonly cited number.

I ended up with something like 3/4" of travel on my Muncie's slave. The clutch works great on my car (for now).

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 05-22-2020).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2020 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

I ended up with something like 3/4" of travel on my Muncie's slave. The clutch works great on my car (for now).

"something like"? I know you've got enough skillz to get a more exact measurement than that.

My experience is that an Isuzu absolutely requires over an inch of slave travel, whereas a 5-spd Getrag requires less. I have no direct experience with a Muncie 4-spd, but I'd wager a lot of money that a half inch of slave travel would not be enough to properly disengage the clutch.

I did buy the slave from Facebook market. The rod inside of it is only moving half inch.

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2020 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My previous Fiero had the Isuzu, and I think your 1" figure makes sense for that.

On my Muncie, I was measuring the slave travel during the bleeding process, and the clutch didn't work right when there was only 1/2" of travel. I'm sure I had a more exact figure when I was doing the bleeding job, but that was a few months ago, so I forgot the details! I figured I'd post my approximate travel (for the Archives, and future responses to people seeking help) here before completely forgetting everything.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock