Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Ecotec swappers: LNF (turbo) or LSJ (supercharged)?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Ecotec swappers: LNF (turbo) or LSJ (supercharged)? by imacflier
Started on: 03-13-2020 07:30 PM
Replies: 7 (872 views)
Last post by: KillerFrogg on 03-17-2020 07:35 AM
imacflier

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2020 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haven't posted in a very long time...but seem to have regained my interest at long last!

I am considering an Ecotec swap into my '88 GT 5-speed. I have discovered a source for mounts at EcotecMiata which look like they will be readily adaptable to a Fiero cradle.

My question, while still at the very early planning stage, is which fits better: the turbo ecotec or the supercharged version? With parts from ZZPerformance it is not challenging to approach 400 WHP with the supercharged version and much more with the turbo version. Costs will be comparable, but will one version fit significantly better than the other?

P.lease let me benefit from your experiences and opinions.

Glad to be back,

Larry
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2020 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check out this thread: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/143245.html

It apppears that when using the Thelin mounts the LSJ supercharger snout hits the hinge box. Probably would not be a problem if you made you own mounts.

The LNF has its turbo on the back of the engine facing the trunk wall. All early ecotecs lean slightly rearward so turbo motors tend to need some clearancing of the trunk firewall. It will not affect anything to stand them vertical because the oil pickup is well down in the sump. And it is well baffled to prevent oil slop. This is an LK9 swap thread very similar packaging to the LNF https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/141093.html

I like turbo motors so I would do the LNF swap. But for a cleaner install with a lot less plumbing the LSJ would be hard to beat.

------------------
86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

imacflier

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2020 10:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for imacflierSend a Private Message to imacflierEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WTFB,

Thank you so very much for your reply and those links. The mounts I was referring to are here: Ecotec Miata Mount Kit

It appears that if a couple of pieces of square tubing are attached below the cradle the Ecotec Miata mounts will work without having to cut up the stock cradle.

I would prefer the turbo motor as well.....but I am leaning towards the supercharged version for ease of plumbing and heat.

Again, thank you very much!

Any other opinions???

Larry
OntarioKev

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2020 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OntarioKevSend a Private Message to OntarioKevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The LNF package is far superior for power out of the box. With just some basic boltons and a tune you can easily make 300Whp and 330+ Wtq.

The LSJ on the other hand is lucky to make 275Whp and the tq is usually less, unless you convert it to a turbo. The other option is an expensive upgraded blower but again the LNF with an upgraded turbo is a much better choice.

I personally would run the LNF and fab up a water to air cooler for it, but it definitely is a lot more work than an LSJ.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2020 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A while ago I checked out the possibility of doing an Ecotec swap for a friend but it didn't pan out. It was several years back but the information that I turned up included online sources for stand alone wiring harnesses , programmed PCM's, cams and a wide variety of aftermarket high performance parts. The Ecotec design can stay together making significant horsepower. Hot Rod did a dyno test with the LSJ engine with some bolt on parts and made 372 streetable horsepower.
Ecotec Bolt-Ons
What is very attractive about this engine is that its ideal for a sport compact/Fiero, its light , will probably improve handling and is capable of high end performance.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

86FieroCentPa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2020 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FieroCentPaSend a Private Message to 86FieroCentPaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm the guy doing to the swap that wftb referred to (here). I went with LSJ because I knew I wanted an aftermarket ECU. Since the LNF is direct injection and the aftermarket ECUs that can handle those are $$$, the easy choice was LSJ. Version 2.0 of my swap will end up being turbocharged since the supercharger on the LSJ is limited to under 300HP.

Regardless of the version, I'd like to see more Ecotec swaps into the Fiero. I think the engine is a great match for the chassis and has fairly extensive aftermarket support. If you have any questions or concerns feel free to drop by my thread or send me a message or e-mail

[This message has been edited by 86FieroCentPa (edited 03-15-2020).]

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2020 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by imacflier:

WTFB,

Thank you so very much for your reply and those links. The mounts I was referring to are here: Ecotec Miata Mount Kit

It appears that if a couple of pieces of square tubing are attached below the cradle the Ecotec Miata mounts will work without having to cut up the stock cradle.

I would prefer the turbo motor as well.....but I am leaning towards the supercharged version for ease of plumbing and heat.

Again, thank you very much!

Any other opinions???

Larry

www.thelinsells.com has EcoTec / F23 mounts for the Fiero cradle.
KillerFrogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KillerFroggSend a Private Message to KillerFroggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
LK9 swap in progress here. As noted above the LNF and all engines after were all direct injection. So dealing with the computer can be a pain to say the least.
In my opinion, the LSJ gets a hefty mark up since it has to come out of an SS cobalt. The LK9 is identical save the cams, intake and exhaust hardware, and it lacks the cam position sensor that the LSJ has, but that bolts directly onto the LK9.
They can be had much cheaper generally with less miles and better condition as they come out of just about any Saab 9-3 post 2004 or so. And they can be found factory with the F-40, which if you want to make anything more than the 210hp of the LSJ or LK9 is worth it.
I got my LK9 with F-40 for something like $300 at a local U-pull.
Can be run with something as simple as a megasquirt or like I am using, any of the Haltech units. Im sure there are more out there that will run it with out issue.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock