Quick question by hunter29
Started on: 03-13-2020 05:33 PM
Replies: 16 (333 views)
Last post by: hunter29 on 03-17-2020 07:27 AM
hunter29

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2020 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hunter29Send a Private Message to hunter29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Due to my broken hand I have not been able to work on my new car, taking a quick look at the engine I am wondering if the oil and transmission fluid can be changed from above ?

That is can I get to the oil filter from the top as well as the fill plug on the 4 speed..

thanks PS its a 86 GT

[This message has been edited by hunter29 (edited 03-13-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
hunter29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2020 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hunter29Send a Private Message to hunter29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
removed

[This message has been edited by hunter29 (edited 03-13-2020).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2020 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Somewhere in the manual it must say that if you have a broken hand, get somebody else to change your oil.
hunter29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2020 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hunter29Send a Private Message to hunter29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

Somewhere in the manual it must say that if you have a broken hand, get somebody else to change your oil.

Thanks so much for your help..
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2020 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
sarcasm noted. It would be very difficult for you to do this job with one hand. There is no way to access the oil drain plug from the top of the engine.
hunter29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2020 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hunter29Send a Private Message to hunter29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sarcasm noted. It would be very difficult for you to do this job with one hand. There is no way to access the oil drain plug from the top of the engine.

I'm not trying to do this with one hand. I have owned a 84 Fiero for 36 years but sold it and got this 86 GT, So.. the V6 and the sails that get in the way are new to me. I am just trying to learn so when I get my hand back and spring is here I can get busy.

I can get to the drain plug under, but can I get to the filter from above as I will not get under the car on jacks.

Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2020 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you can get to the drain plug without using jacks, you can also get to the oil filter as it is near the drain plug. That is a tight squeeze with the wheels on the ground.
hunter29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2020 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hunter29Send a Private Message to hunter29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

If you can get to the drain plug without using jacks, you can also get to the oil filter as it is near the drain plug. That is a tight squeeze with the wheels on the ground.

Now your confusing me, IIRC the drain plug is on the rear of the pan, I think I can get to it but have not tried, maybe I can't ..the filter is on the front of the engine, the do it your self manual that came with the car said to remove a heat shield to get to the filter but do not say from the top or the bottom.

Same with the trans, it shows the fill plug but not the drain plug, the factory service manual has not been much help in this regard as well..
TM_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2020 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TM_FieroSend a Private Message to TM_FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't see how the fluids drained and filter removal can be done from above. Will be easier to jack it up enough to get under there. While under there change the fuel filter if it hasn't been changed recently. I'm not certain about the 4 speed, but if there isn't a fill plug or dipstick you'll need to carefully remove the speed sensor to add fluid. When pulling the speed sensor up, be careful the plastic gear doesn't fall off and into the transmission.
hunter29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2020 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hunter29Send a Private Message to hunter29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TM_Fiero:

I don't see how the fluids drained and filter removal can be done from above. Will be easier to jack it up enough to get under there. While under there change the fuel filter if it hasn't been changed recently. I'm not certain about the 4 speed, but if there isn't a fill plug or dipstick you'll need to carefully remove the speed sensor to add fluid. When pulling the speed sensor up, be careful the plastic gear doesn't fall off and into the transmission.

Thank you !, .. the 4 speed has a fill plug as noted in the manual , but does not show the drain plug, but it must be there , I have read about the speed sensor but ( I think) it does not apply to the 4 speed, but I am just learning..

Thanks TM
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2020 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't think you need to remove a heat shield.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 03-13-2020).]

PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2020 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FWIW, the oil filter on the V6 is on the front side of the block. Pretty much directly above the catalytic converter, between the starter and the A/C compressor.

Good luck with your hand.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2020 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The four speed has a drain plug, but is filled through the speed sensor opening. The speed sensor housing has a "FULL" line on it.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2020 08:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

olejoedad

17905 posts
Member since May 2004
There is no need to remove any heat shielding to change the filter.
It is not accessible from above.
Well, unless you are Inspector Gadget....
hunter29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2020 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hunter29Send a Private Message to hunter29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the reply's...
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post03-16-2020 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's the link you need if it's not too late.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...110502-2-103173.html

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

hunter29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2020 07:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hunter29Send a Private Message to hunter29Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the link Spoon..

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock