Started on: 03-07-2020 03:14 PM
Replies: 24 (977 views)
Last post by: cam-a-lot on 07-16-2020 10:12 PM
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2020 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Several years back a rear tail light panel was available for the Fiero GT that gave the rear a totally different look that I really liked. This panel didn't use the round Ferrari lights but the oval Corvette C4 tail lights. I always thought that this vette style panel looked good but could not find one until they came available recently from Fieromotive in St Petersburg, FL
It is basically a stripped panel that needs some prep work but it is doable

This is the panel as shipped

Then you drill the hole and cut a part of a broken tail light housing and make a template for the tail light plug notches. The template is used to pencil in the tail light sockets cutting points. You will need another hole for the brake light. I used the T10 sockets that are used for the Pontiac running light.

Next I painted the light housings chrome silver, sanded and primed the panel

Finals steps: Paint the panel the car color of black and make up two C brackets that will hold the panel in place. Glass resin or epoxy them in place Then do some trimming of the supports on the tail light cavity area as necessary. Finally fit the two Pilot Navigator Back up lights in the openings for the reflectors and complete the wiring. I will post pictures as we go along to completion.

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 03-08-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TXGOOD

Feedback score:    (58)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2020 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TXGOODClick Here to visit TXGOOD's HomePageSend a Private Message to TXGOODEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Dennis, I like progress and how-to-do pictures.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2020 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TXGOOD:

Thanks Dennis, I like progress and how-to-do pictures.

Always try to help Fiero folks out. This is not a very detailed thread so far but for those interested in converting over to the Corvette C4 tail lights I will post progress pictures as they go. Right now I pulled my back out so it may be another week or two before I can put up more pictures.
The total cost of this panel install with Corvette style C4 lenses, gaskets, the Pilot Navigator BU lights and screws (less paint) will come in at about $300 but there is a bit of labor involved. Jim tells me that he is coming out with a few different style tail light panels that will include a 2 pc panel and one that will use the Corvette round style lights as well. What I like the most about Jim's panel is that the tail lights are designed to have a recessed three dimensional look.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2020 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks good Dennis

------------------
86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2020 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The next step in installing this panel will be to figure out a way to mount it. I know that some have used screws to hold it in place in odd locations but we decided to use the mounting location holes that were used to attach the GM/OEM panel. IMO this makes for a neat OEM type installation.
We measured carefully bent up some aluminum L brackets from 1" x 1/8" aluminum strips, (Home Depot) then used epoxy to fasten them in place. The next day we used fiberglass mat and resin to hold them firmly to the panel. Notice that 1/4-20 aluminum thread inserts were used in the brackets. 1/4 -20 by 1 1/4" Phillips head screws w small washers will be used to hold the panel firmly in place. Some spacers may be required but we haven't painted the panel for mounting as yet.
Here is how the panel with brackets as it now looks as of today.

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 05-28-2020).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2020 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The pilot navigator back up lights are installed, the Corvette C4 light panel has been painted with 4 coats of Dupont Centrari pitch black enamel, , brackets glassed in place, then mounted (using the OEM taillight mounting holes), the lens' installed and LED lights added. I am pleased with the installation and the look. Perhaps we will add a Pontiac logo or emblem in the center but here is the panel as it looks today.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 06-17-2020).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2020 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Dennis LaGrua

15145 posts
Member since May 2000
and the final touch that I believe enhances the center section to be seen several posts down

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 06-24-2020).]

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2020 07:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

and the final touch that I believe enhances the center section

Hey Dennis, that's a terrific job you did with that panel & the backup lights. Is that the reflection of a Chrysler 300 in those 4 tail lights?

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

[This message has been edited by Spoon (edited 06-17-2020).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2020 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Charlie first off thank you for the compliment. You've got a good eye. Yup thats my 4000lb 2015 Chrysler 300. Hope to see you at Carlisle. We are already registered and waiting for the governor's permission to go. It's a troubling situation. If you have interest I can take you through the steps for that custom panel. The guy that makes these Corvette panels is Jim Cleary /Fiero Motive and he's in the Tampa FL area. PM.for his contact info.
------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 07-17-2020).]

cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2020 07:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow!! I really love the look of that panel. Nicely done! Gives the car an updated look without "trying too hard" .... too many cars have excessive bling like too many scoops, too many wings, too many stickers and badges and it just ruins the look. This panel looks basically stock and elegant- nicely done

Did you say they are now available? I could not find it online. I may buy one. I assume it is no big deal to revert back to the original tail lights if a person wishes to do that in the future? BTW, thanks Dennis for referring me to your friend with the Metric speedo- works great!

[This message has been edited by cam-a-lot (edited 06-24-2020).]

sourmash

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post06-24-2020 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The panel looks way better with the Pontiac emblem in it. It breaks up the large field at the same time that it states it's a different GM product.
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2020 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

Wow!! I really love the look of that panel. Nicely done! Gives the car an updated look without "trying too hard" .... too many cars have excessive bling like too many scoops, too many wings, too many stickers and badges and it just ruins the look. This panel looks basically stock and elegant- nicely done

Did you say they are now available? I could not find it online. I may buy one. I assume it is no big deal to revert back to the original tail lights if a person wishes to do that in the future? BTW, thanks Dennis for referring me to your friend with the Metric speedo- works great!

BTW, thanks to Adam IMSA GT for pointing me to the source. The pictures do not do the installation justice. I'll post better pictures today or tomorrow. IMO, The panel makes the look of the car much more modern and less 80's looking. If you ask me a BIG improvement. People now comment "nice Corvette". The install wasn't too difficult and the new mold Jim is making will have the mounting brackets. Installation basically is just priming painting and panel prep. Since the panel fits without body mods reverting back to stock would be very easy. No problem on the leads; sharing the hobby is what makes it fun
As for Sourmash's comment on the emblem; it is a Pontiac emblem, I believe its found on the sail panels of Fieros and on larger Pontiac models. It certainly does soften the look of the large area between the lights without adding too much. To my eyes it fits perfect. As for the panel source; it is certainly available. Jim Cleary of Fiero Motive in Fl. is the source .
He runs a legitimate full time Fiero business and has been doing Fiero work for many years.
Here is the contact info:
Jim Cleary
Fiero Motive
5551 65 Way North
Saint Petersburg, FL 33709
1-727-417-7559

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

Habanera Hal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2020 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Habanera HalSend a Private Message to Habanera HalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Looks great, Dennis!
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2020 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Habanera Hal:

Looks great, Dennis!

Thanks. Here is a better photo:

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

infinitewill

Feedback score:    (55)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post07-07-2020 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for infinitewillSend a Private Message to infinitewillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wow! That panel looks really nice! The Pontiac arrowhead is a nice touch as well. Well done

[This message has been edited by infinitewill (edited 07-26-2020).]

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2020 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by infinitewill:

Wow! That panel looks really nice! the Pontiac arrowhead is a nice touch as well. Well done

Coming from a long time knowledgeable forum member, I'll take that compliment any day.
After looking at a number of custom changes that would modernize the Fiero taillight area a bit, (it looked too solidly 80's to me) I settled on the panel with the square and rounded sides C4 lights. To my eyes it blends in perfectly with the look of the car. I also added LED lights that really set the look off at night. After looking at many different decals and logos that would break up the dominance of the center section, I decided that the arrowhead Pontiac plate looked the best. When I see it now, I said yup that is exactly what I was looking for.
While some forum members believe that this panel is for Corvette wannabes; I say that if we can improve the look by taking nice elements from other GM cars, why not? Its still a Fiero.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

Warlordsix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2020 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WarlordsixSend a Private Message to WarlordsixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi, Dennis. Looks great. I'm getting ready to do something similar with my notchie, but with the DrivenVisions taillight panel. It has two recessed lenses per side, just like yours. It's prepped and ready for paint.

Question - how did you do your wiring? My notchie has four bulbs per side (two tail/turn/stop; one tail; and one reverse) in the OEM lightbar. I assume yours is the same. For each side, did you simply reuse the wiring for the two tail/turn/stop bulbs and the reverse bulb and NOT reuse the wiring for the tail light bub?

That's what I'm planning to do, because there is no room for a fourth bulb.

Thanks.

Ernie

------------------
'87 Fiero 4.9 5-speed

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2020 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Warlordsix:

Hi, Dennis. Looks great. I'm getting ready to do something similar with my notchie, but with the DrivenVisions taillight panel. It has two recessed lenses per side, just like yours. It's prepped and ready for paint.

Question - how did you do your wiring? My notchie has four bulbs per side (two tail/turn/stop; one tail; and one reverse) in the OEM lightbar. I assume yours is the same. For each side, did you simply reuse the wiring for the two tail/turn/stop bulbs and the reverse bulb and NOT reuse the wiring for the tail light bub?

That's what I'm planning to do, because there is no room for a fourth bulb.

Thanks.

Ernie

Not the same . The GT fastbacks have totally different wiring schemes than the notchbacks do. On the fast back GT there is a circuit for the taillight/stoplight and a separate circuit for the signal lights. On my Corvette panel I had to install two bulbs in each lamp housing; one for the tail/brake and the other for the turn signal. This was the only way to accommodate the 3 circuits
You should not have this problem on your Fiero as on the notchbacks all functions run off 2 circuits and are assigned to a single 2057/1157 bulb. The turn signal switch on the notchback determines whether the tailight or turn signal functions will be energized depending on what you switch on. Brake light is not affected. In short you will use the two dual circuit bulbs on each side for your install.
As for the back up lights, just run the two leads to the Pilot Navigator lights (P/N NV803) that you will install where the reflectors now sit. This requires removing the rear fascia and doing some fitting but that is pretty easy to do.
As for the Driven Dreams custom light panel, they look very nice, but the lights that go with it, may be hard to locate.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 07-09-2020).]

Warlordsix

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2020 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WarlordsixSend a Private Message to WarlordsixEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Dennis. Yeah, you've confirmed what I figured I had to do do with the notchie wiring. Many thanks. As for the bulbs for the DrivenVisions panel, the panel will accept the OEM notchie bulbs. As for the lenses, the DrivenVision panel uses commonly available SAE-IPRST--79-DOT lenses.

BTW I think I might have another option for the reverse lights. (which will leave the OEM reflectors intact). I will start a new thread for that.

Ernie

[This message has been edited by Warlordsix (edited 07-09-2020).]

Zac88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2020 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zac88GTClick Here to visit Zac88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zac88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Not the same . The GT fastbacks have totally different wiring schemes than the notchbacks do. On the fast back GT there is a circuit for the taillight/stoplight and a separate circuit for the signal lights. On my Corvette panel I had to install two bulbs in each lamp housing; one for the tail/brake and the other for the turn signal. This was the only way to accommodate the 3 circuits
You should not have this problem on your Fiero as on the notchbacks all functions run off 2 circuits and are assigned to a single 2057/1157 bulb. The turn signal switch on the notchback determines whether the tailight or turn signal functions will be energized depending on what you switch on. Brake light is not affected. In short you will use the two dual circuit bulbs on each side for your install.
As for the back up lights, just run the two leads to the Pilot Navigator lights (P/N NV803) that you will install where the reflectors now sit. This requires removing the rear fascia and doing some fitting but that is pretty easy to do.
As for the Driven Dreams custom light panel, they look very nice, but the lights that go with it, may be hard to locate.

The GT uses the same turn signal switch as the notchback, but the wire from the brake switch goes directly to the brake lights instead of through the switch. When I wired my Corvette tail light panel I just added the wire that was missing on the GT and swapped the brake light wire at the bulb socket for the turn signal wire. Then the lights function just like the notchback.
Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2020 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zac88GT:

The GT uses the same turn signal switch as the notchback, but the wire from the brake switch goes directly to the brake lights instead of through the switch. When I wired my Corvette tail light panel I just added the wire that was missing on the GT and swapped the brake light wire at the bulb socket for the turn signal wire. Then the lights function just like the notchback.

That's a valid and easy way to rewire and its used on many cars; you share two bulb filaments with three functions. The way I did it kept all three lighting functions separate. Figure GM must have done it on the 86-88 GT's this way for a reason so I did not change it.

------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

PFF
System Bot
87fiero2017

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2020 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87fiero2017Send a Private Message to 87fiero2017Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
We need something cool like that for notchbacks
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2020 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here's another pic from a post some time ago with the tail light panel. The red GT was Skitimes. Don't know owner of the other.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2020 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:

Here's another pic from a post some time ago.

Spoon

That looks like the PISA Ferrari style panel with the round lights. Those were the most popular panels. I chose the FIeroMotive panel with the C4 squarish lenses with the rounded sides. Looked like a better fit to me. . Now working on getting the notchback taillight panel upgraded. Its sold by Pisa and its called the Euro Panel. If you are interested, I started a build post on this Euro Notchback panel and it will be updated when the panel arrives in a few weeks.
------------------
"THE COLUSSUS"

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 07-16-2020).]

cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2020 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If anyone will offer this as "idiot proof, plug and play" kit, I will sign up. I don't have the time/patience/skill to mess around with wiring, cutting fiberglass, painting, etc. Would gladly pay more and get a finished tail light panel.

Great mod! Nicely done

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock