Need suggestions on fixing this issue by Cunnive
Started on: 02-21-2020 02:38 PM
Replies: 8 (621 views)
Last post by: wftb on 03-11-2020 08:48 PM
Cunnive

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2020 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CunniveSend a Private Message to CunniveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Below you'll see my predicament. I don't think it's causing any problems but I want to know what yall would suggest I do to best fix this.

Thanks!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2020 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Honestly I would just leave it alone until the day comes you absolutely need to mess with it. When that day comes I would use header studs instead of bolts. I believe there is still enough threads holding it in place that it really doesn't matter.
FieroJimmy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2020 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJimmySend a Private Message to FieroJimmyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To fix that you've only got a couple options.

The simplest would be to replace the head. The other choice is to have it brazed up, then skim cut the manifold face of the head back to flat, and redrill and retap the hole.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2020 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Leave it alone.
If have to pull later, can try stud there but don't hold your breath. Likely need a bottoming tap to retouch the threads for rust damage etc. and maybe add a few threads to bottom out the hole.
Or Find a replacement head.

Likely to fix is have the hole welded closed then re drill and thread.
Cast iron can be welded but needs right rod/wire and more and not easy there even for many experts.

Problem is Cast is hard to weld for start but this spot sees higher thermal cycling then rest of engine. Wrong filling often means harder/softer metal may crack later.
Might be easier the braze the hole then redrill etc.
Even then likely has to preheat the head so welder/torch doesn't spot heat that area because that could crack the head anywhere.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Zentaury

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2020 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZentaurySend a Private Message to ZentauryEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have the same issue!

Unfortunately for me, looks like the head was holding fine, but the exhaust manifold is cracked and I had to remove the head (and half of the engine with it). I am doing it by myself and is a long process.

If is not giving you problems, I would say don’t touch it, and now is the time to save money for a head from Rockauto or a wrecking yard. And start some research if you want to fix it by yourself.
Cunnive

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2020 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CunniveSend a Private Message to CunniveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I was actually trying to find a replacement head just so I can get an idea for the cost but I don't know what to search for. Can you tell me where on RockAuto it will be? Or what I search search for specifically?

Thank you!
FieroJimmy

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2020 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroJimmySend a Private Message to FieroJimmyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It will be under "Engine" then Cylinder head."

It's surprisingly affordable, at $165 including the core charge. I didn't look into shipping, though.

Cunnive

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2020 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CunniveSend a Private Message to CunniveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Sorry for resurrecting this thread but I've read on the internet that if you change the cylinder head then you need to also change the intake manifold along with other components.

Does anyone know if the Rockauto cylinder head will require any kind of other requirements for my engine or will it be as easy as removing the old and putting in the new?
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2020 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The rebuilt cylinder head will fit your existing intake assembly. But you have to remove the intake to get the new head installed obviously so you are going to need a gasket set for the heads and intake assembly.

------------------
86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay