New to the forum. Questions on 3800 SC install by 1flyndo
Started on: 02-20-2020 03:42 PM
Replies: 9 (453 views)
Last post by: kevin on 02-23-2020 02:01 PM
1flyndo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2020 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1flyndoSend a Private Message to 1flyndoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
First and foremost thank you in advance for the assistance.

Purchased a 87 gt with a 5 spd. Engine is gone.

Want to swamp a 3800sc. Choice of two. One complete with wiring harness intact and pcm $725 2002 Grand Prix 137k. The other no harness or pcm 2001 Grand Prix 500.

Planning to do a rebuild with my boys on the motor.

What parts do I need to make this install flow?

Motor mounts, extras, wiring harness. Who to purchase from.

Looking to get 400hp out of E85. Was thinking new snout, 3 in pulley, zzz cam. Do I need a spec clutch and flywheel custom from someone and who would be the business to see about that.

Thanks for all the help in advance

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2020 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1flyndo:

First and foremost thank you in advance for the assistance.

Purchased a 87 gt with a 5 spd. Engine is gone.

Want to swamp a 3800sc. Choice of two. One complete with wiring harness intact and pcm $725 2002 Grand Prix 137k. The other no harness or pcm 2001 Grand Prix 500.

Planning to do a rebuild with my boys on the motor.

What parts do I need to make this install flow?

Motor mounts, extras, wiring harness. Who to purchase from.

Looking to get 400hp out of E85. Was thinking new snout, 3 in pulley, zzz cam. Do I need a spec clutch and flywheel custom from someone and who would be the business to see about that.

Thanks for all the help in advance

Not trying to blow you off but the 3800SC swap is well documented on this forum and there are many You Tube videos outlining the process.
On the 137K engine, if you want to boost it to 400HP and expect reliability, you probably won't get it without a complete rebuild but it sounds like you are willing to do this.
The Getrag 5 speed was designed to hold a maximum torque of 200Ft lbs. You can't put 350ft lbs of torque in it, as it will self destruct. For the type of power that you are talking the 4T65eHD auto or the F40 transmission are the better choices.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

DimeMachine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2020 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I hunted for a good cheap 3800 SC engine 5+years ago, I brought a compression gauge and an oil pressure gauge with. Both passed and I have been beating the daylights out of mine ever since with zero issues. I could be lucky, but as long as you have good compression and oil pressure 200k + is quite possible.

blazin'

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2020 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blazin'Send a Private Message to blazin'Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/079560.html

Here's a nice collection of build threads and other information. Make sure when searching the forums here to include the archives in your search as there's hours upon hours of information. Check out the 3800pro forums as well for 3800 specifics or even the grand prix forum's.

Fierorog is who my mounts are from and phonedawgz did my harness and chip. I'm obd1, but your setup will be obd2 so Darth Fiero is a member you'll want to look up for pcm programming.

The spec stage 3 clutch is popular on here and the flywheel you'll need would be from 96ish f-body (3800 car) machined down to fit inside the getrag. .840" thickness off the top my head. That's what I'm running in my series 1 setup.

Good luck and I'm sure there will be more knowledgeable members than myself chime in, but I recommend to read, read and then read some more. And don't be afraid to ask questions. There's some terrific members kicking around here. Good luck!
OntarioKev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2020 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OntarioKevSend a Private Message to OntarioKevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your not getting 400whp out of those mods.

The M92 records are a few cars in the low 400whp, but they all have heads the most aggressive cams, intercoolers, tiny pulleys and E85.

If you actually want 400Whp think adding Nitrous or converting to a turbo. It can be done on an M92 but it is pretty much the limit and fairly expensive.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2020 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1flyndo:

.------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 02-21-2020).]

DimeMachine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2020 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OntarioKev:

Your not getting 400whp out of those mods.

The M92 records are a few cars in the low 400whp, but they all have heads the most aggressive cams, intercoolers, tiny pulleys and E85.

If you actually want 400Whp think adding Nitrous or converting to a turbo. It can be done on an M92 but it is pretty much the limit and fairly expensive.

100% agree. Problem now is that I believe some of the tranny parts people used to use to hold 450+ HP are out of production and or extremely expensive. That I why I will probably not turbo mine. If I am wrong- someone correct me as I would like to turbo mine....but I wont spend 4k+ on a tranny to do it. So far I have about 500 passes on a tranny with a $1,100 rebuild from my tranny guy including the new basically stock stall speed torque converter...

P.S. Fierosound - thanks for bumping my videos in the post above - I appreciate it!

[This message has been edited by DimeMachine (edited 02-22-2020).]

OntarioKev

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-22-2020 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OntarioKevSend a Private Message to OntarioKevEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya the one item for the really high HP transmissions is the GMR 1" chain.

But what I have been told is the 4t65e-hd can handle a lot more in a Fiero than a Grand Prix sine we are so much lighter.

Also, the chain isn't that hard to replace, so you could consider them "maintenance parts"

I am really hoping to get mine to the track this year. Its so close but I lost my workshop (live in a condo), so its been hard to find places to work on it, especially with my schedule.
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2020 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1flyndo,
Keep us appraised👍 We (at the least, me) and others are very interested on your progress! We want to help, where we can.
kevin

[This message has been edited by kevin (edited 02-24-2020).]

kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2020 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

kevin

2722 posts
Member since Jan 2000

Originally posted by kevin:

1fllyndo,
Keep us appraised👍 We (at the least, me) and others are very interested on your progress! We want to help, where we can.
kevin

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock