lift points using a QuickJack with my 87' Fiero by luvatenor
Started on: 02-19-2020 01:58 PM
Replies: 14 (1370 views)
Last post by: Will on 02-23-2020 02:30 PM
luvatenor

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2020 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for luvatenorSend a Private Message to luvatenorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I just got my new Quickjack and want to use it on my 87'Fiero. The rear lift points are fine. However, I am confused about the location of the front ones. The colored diagram that I have seen in repair manuals shows garage lift points that differ from the Factory Service Manual(page 18). The Factory manual shows small humps with a hole in the middle as the lift points(see image below). I am confused- anyone have an opinion? Thanks-Rolf
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sledcaddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2020 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good question. I've always lifted the front end, underneath the A-arms. This diagram shows a lift point in the center. Is the the spot that has a bracket holding the cooling tubes? This would support the car, WITHOUT smashing the tubes? (Mine is an 88 though. So are the mounts different?)

[This message has been edited by sledcaddie (edited 02-19-2020).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2020 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This lift map is from my Cave, Safe Jacking and is a bit different from FSM and others as stated their.

Hole shown looks like floor drain w/o it's plug allowing road crap getting in and rot floor and everything.

QuickJack likely won't work on Fiero as shown in most videos and docs because coolant pipes etc.
Have no clue how to make it work of Fiero. Might be able to use yellow marks but may need blocking between car and jacks. If done wrong then you hope only damage the car.

Originally posted by sledcaddie:
Good question. I've always lifted the front end, underneath the A-arms. This diagram shows a lift point in the center. Is the the spot that has a bracket holding the cooling tubes? This would support the car, WITHOUT smashing the tubes? (Mine is an 88 though. So are the mounts different?)
Green center lift zone is for floor jacking. If you can bend the front cross member jacking there then you have much bigger problem and do not drive the car.

I don't recommend using a jack under any control arms. One is Many use small jack that can move and unbalance the load on them but are other reasons.
GM made the map for Real Service shops like GM dealer service shops used w/ heavy jacks on concrete floors etc.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2020 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use the center for floor jack in front and at the back of the rear subframe for the rear. You may have to put BLOCKS on top of the Quickjack to lift the Fiero safely- Be careful- a lot of places where damage can result.

Here is an earlier post on the subject- take a look here; //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/099013.html
sledcaddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2020 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, Ogre. The green square on your diagram, in the center of the front wheels; this is the area I'm asking about (photo attached), with the bracket covering the coolant tubes. It's okay to use a floor jack here? I'm concerned that the bracket would collapse, possibly compressing the coolant tubes.

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2020 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Above map is for 84-87 Fiero but 88 FSM shows same.
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

If that's rust rotten then could crush 88 coolant pipes jack there.
Seems solid to jack since is also the "rock shield" to prevent crushing pipes on the road driving over crap.
Just watch it for damage. More so w/ common floor jacks sold to DIY market. Many have small heads that often slip off or crush things.

Some HF and others have Higher Grades of jacks are more "professional" have bigger 5 - 6" saddle/heads and often removable to accept other heads like HF Jack Cross Beam head that may be better there but likely have no room to use. Still have to watch exact lift points to make sure can't move when jack is up. A jack point maybe level but can tilt when up and push off/out the jack when using most jacks. Even then should use Jack stands because jacks can fail/move w/o warning.

note that Floor jacks have "teeth" on saddle edges. So when you rotate the saddle can lock in the lift area better in many cases.
Floor and other jacks and stands need concrete floors to be safe.
On dirt or Asphalt can move or sink unevenly an drop the car w/o warning.

QuickJack w/ 88 can still have problems because plastic rocker panels etc.
Note: Red spot in map above is made and reinforce to accept OE jack made for this spot. Use OE jack elsewhere have trouble and can drop the car easy. Using another jack may cause damage or drop the car in Red spot.
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2020 09:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by luvatenor:

I just got my new Quickjack and want to use it on my 87'Fiero. The rear lift points are fine. However, I am confused about the location of the front ones. The colored diagram that I have seen in repair manuals shows garage lift points that differ from the Factory Service Manual(page 18). The Factory manual shows small humps with a hole in the middle as the lift points(see image below). I am confused- anyone have an opinion? Thanks-Rolf

Personally, I wouldn't put a floor jack under the rear control arms.
Also, a trailer hitch is an EXTREMELY convenient jack and jack stand hard point.

The jack point is further inboard beyond the spring wound tube... which I guess is your clutch hydraulic line, since there's only one (which means it's not transmission cooler)

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 02-20-2020).]

luvatenor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2020 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for luvatenorSend a Private Message to luvatenorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finally found the factory manual's lift point - It is where the hole in the sheet metal is-it shows a 2 post lift and the saddle contacting the lift point- Opinions?
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2020 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the lift point:

luvatenor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2020 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for luvatenorSend a Private Message to luvatenorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Makes sense- it just looked like the saddle was on the hump by the hole- thanks
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2020 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:
This is the lift point:

No. That is the Gas Tank. Look again.
Lift head shows the lift point then follow floor as bends into tank tunnel.

That area of floor is double thick or more where meets lower front subframe. If same area shown above then that is drain hole between to metal layers. Hard to tell from that picture.
More correct image... Note these are one 4 arm 2 post frame hoist on P-side of car.
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

88 Jack front/rear on page 0A-10 seem to have same images from early years but still valid... (edit it shorten image height.)
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

While FSM have control arm as lift points, I avoid using them.
PFF
System Bot
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2020 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:
This is the lift point:

Originally posted by theogre:

No. That is the Gas Tank. Look again.
Lift head shows the lift point then follow floor as bends into tank tunnel.

Tough to argue over a crappy drawing in a 35 year old shop manual. To me it looks like the tank is to the left of the drawing, out of frame. The tube depicted is the rear brake line.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 02-23-2020).]

luvatenor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2020 10:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for luvatenorSend a Private Message to luvatenorEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Will for all the info. Much appreciated. I don't think I can use the QuickJack on the Fiero- I tried-Rolf
nero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2020 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for neroSend a Private Message to neroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks Will for all the info. Much appreciated. I don't think I can use the QuickJack on the Fiero- I tried-Rolf

I have the largest Quickjack model. I have had it up on the quickjacks for the last 4 months. Check out the post below for pics. Use the yellow lift points in the front. You will end up with the Quickjacks not being paralell. The instructions say to keep them as paralel as possible. I emailed quickjack to ask them what 'close as possible to paralel' meant and they said they had no exact measurement. It is completly solid but I also blocked up some jack stands just for backup. It has not moved or shifted in the 4 months I have had it on the quickjacks.

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/099013.html

[This message has been edited by nero (edited 02-21-2020).]

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-23-2020 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dammit, here's where the F$%#ing lift points are:

Notice they are INBOARD of the spring wound tubing. The spring wound tube on the RIGHT side of the CAR (left in image) goes to the rear brakes. The spring wound tube on the LEFT side of the CAR (right in image) is either the clutch hydraulic line or the transmission cooler lines depending on whether the car is auto or manual.

Notice that there are small sheet metal doubler panels on the lift points.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock