length of front sway bar links by sledcaddie
Started on: 02-18-2020 03:51 PM
Replies: 4 (171 views)
Last post by: Larry Nakamura on 02-24-2020 10:05 PM
sledcaddie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2020 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1988 GT had front sway bar links with the nylon dampers rotting away (loose and rattling). Went to local parts place (NAPA) and got new ones. Only problem is that these are a bit shorter, and the sleeve is 3" long, whereas the ones I removed were 4" long. Which is correct? I noticed the bolts on the longer ones were very close to hitting the upper A-arm. Did the previous owner install the wrong ones?

I've included a photo.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sledcaddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2020 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rock Auto specs show bolt lenth 7.5", and sleeve length 3". (That's what NAPA sold me.) I'm thinking that the ones I removed were the wrong length.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-18-2020 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I don't have access to an 88 front end, but I can tell you that you want them longer rather than shorter for better handling.....Take a look at my post on how to mount stabilizer bars to improving handling- You can do a google search for "My Stabilizer Bar mounting theories.." if this link doesn't work; https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/140674.html
sledcaddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2020 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
cvxjet: interesting reading about how different lengths result in different handling. My main goal of posting this question was what is the STOCK length? I'm trying to restore the Fiero, not modify it for a road course.

After doing some more searching on different auto parts sites, they all come in slightly different lengths. The one I cited from Rock Auto was an AC Delco part, so I'm figuring that this must be the stock length. Is it?
Larry Nakamura

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-24-2020 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larry NakamuraSend a Private Message to Larry NakamuraEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had to replace the front sway bar end links recently on my 88GT.
The stock sleeve length in 4 inches and the bolt is 8 1/2 inches. If I
was you I would replace them with Rodney Dickman's zero lash end
links. Check them out on his web site.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock