Replacement (better sounding) horns by cvxjet
Started on: 02-14-2020 05:44 PM
Replies: 10 (263 views)
Last post by: donuteater306 on 02-17-2020 03:59 AM
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2020 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have put up with the "Economy car" horn sound for 34 years....Does anyone have a recommendation on what horns to grab in the Junk yard that will interchange and sound better?

What year and what cars?

Thanks for any input!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2020 05:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Older full size GM cars like Cadillac/Oldsmobile/Buick and full size cargo Vans and trucks.
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...120111-2-083122.html

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 02-17-2020).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2020 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes, many cars and trunks have better horns.
Make sure you pull a set of horns from same car.
See my Cave, Horn

Save the brackets on old horns.
(88 only have 1 horn. just add wires.)

Buy used get good 12v battery to test before paying.

Cut wire(s) to horns because may have different plug(s) and may need to splice them. Some horn have 2 wires... When true the coil may or not be grounded thru mount bracket. Check either/both wire isn't connected to horn case etc. Example: Horn was mounted to plastic need ground wire but may still ground to mount hardware when use in another car. If you connected + to wrong terminal can fry fuses or worse mounted in Fiero.

Caution: Buying aftermarket horns often don't last even when made w/ well brand like Fiamm from local parts stores. Most are made cheap and not like OEM parts that Fiamm also makes.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2020 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I grabbed a set of horns from a 1998 Firebird and installed it. Sounds great. Cost $10 IIRC. I installed it on the driver side.
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2020 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also replaced my horns with a pair of high/low horns. Got them at Advace Auto Parts. Back when I got them, some had posted that they were the same horns as were used on the DeLorean. Good tone and loud. They're probably about $20 each by now. I don't remember the brand, but they were single terminal and grounded through the mount. I made a splitter wire to plug into the chassis wire then to the 2 horns.
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2020 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I guess I lucked out - got a set of Wolo 123.5 Db air horns reg $69 on sale for $31 . Sound great
OldGuyinaGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2020 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OldGuyinaGTSend a Private Message to OldGuyinaGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 88 GT has a dual horn from a mid-2000's TrailBlazer (they were a lot in the yard). Not an overpowering horn but loud enough sounds more like I think a Fiero should. Installed with minimal fuss in the original location (I think I had to bend the bracket on the horns a bit).
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post02-15-2020 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Our old 2009 Honda Odyssey has the loudest horn(s) I've ever heard, outside of a 69 DeVille that a friend used to have, or a train horn.
It has two horns, but they are both the same part number, so I have to assume they are both the same tone.
They don't sound unusual or different. Just loud.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2020 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Phil:
I guess I lucked out - got a set of Wolo 123.5 Db air horns reg $69 on sale for $31 . Sound great
Is good deal because often won't last long. Been there, done that and covered in Cave.
Even when they work, many times can be a problem because too loud like Don't hit the horns near home when possible or pissed neighbors can be a huge problem.
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post02-16-2020 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a pair of Delorean horns a few years ago from the Delorean Company. They have NOS at they're web page now For $18.xx.

They were virtually plug & play..

https://store.delorean.com/...-horn-high-note.aspx

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

[This message has been edited by Spoon (edited 02-16-2020).]

donuteater306

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-17-2020 03:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I grabbed a set of 4 note horns off of an 80's Buick Park Ave from Pick n Pull. They're loud.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock