Big *ss clunk sound when turning the key by Additivewalnut
Started on: 02-08-2020 07:54 PM
Replies: 13 (276 views)
Last post by: shemdogg on 02-11-2020 12:38 AM
Additivewalnut

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2020 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AdditivewalnutSend a Private Message to AdditivewalnutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 86 SE V6 has been landlocked for a good couple months after the pickup coil went bad and I'm too scared to fix it. But I went in the garage for sh*ts and giggles and turned the key to the first click to get the lights working and all I hear is this h u g e crash coming from the engine bay, so I investigate and nothing looks out of the ordinary. I go and crank the car to see if that would help and now the whole dang car shakes when cranking. Nothing *new* is leaking... I'm still dripping coolant here and there but that's not important.

Tl;dr, what could have even caused that noise with the car only getting battery power?!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 87
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2020 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
manual transmission? If so, I think you had a stuck clutch plate.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 438
Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2020 09:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

...I think you had a stuck clutch plate.

OP states the key was only turned to the "first click". I say the fuel pump exploded.

Additivewalnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-08-2020 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AdditivewalnutSend a Private Message to AdditivewalnutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

OP states the key was only turned to the "first click". I say the fuel pump exploded.

I'd agree except I can still hear the pump prime. And would the clutch plate make the whole damn car shake?
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2020 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Let's resolve this 'first click' thing.....that's when the lights go on and the fuel pump runs, but the starter does not engage. If you are cranking the starter and the engine is turning over, it can be out of balance if a chunk of the clutch pad is still attached to the flywheel. Does it shake while the starter is engaged or is the engine running?

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 02-09-2020).]

Additivewalnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2020 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AdditivewalnutSend a Private Message to AdditivewalnutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Let's resolve this 'first click' thing.....that's when the lights go on and the fuel pump runs, but the starter does not engage. If you are cranking the starter and the engine is turning over, it can be out of balance if a chunk of the clutch pad is still attached to the flywheel. Does it shake while the starter is engaged or is the engine running?

That's just the thing. It was the first click that made the sound.. when I actually went to crank it, only the starter is going and the engine never turns over (presumably because of the pickup coil.) And the whole car shakes like hell
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 438
Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2020 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickClick Here to Email PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Additivewalnut:

when I actually went to crank it, only the starter is going and the engine never turns over

You're making this even more confusing. Is the crankshaft turning or not? If it is, the engine is turning over... but not starting.
Additivewalnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2020 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AdditivewalnutSend a Private Message to AdditivewalnutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

You're making this even more confusing. Is the crankshaft turning or not? If it is, the engine is turning over... but not starting.

Okay yeah that's my bad, I've only been working on cars for a year.. I'm still new to the terms.

The starter turns the engine just fine. It just doesn't start.
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2020 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So as the starter is rotating the crankshaft at approx...300 rpm (and not starting).....the car shakes like hell. If this shaking is about 5 shakes per second, that would correspond with the crankshaft speed.

edit: Can you repeat the clunk sound? Any other odd noises? Does the clutch position change anything?

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 02-09-2020).]

Additivewalnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-09-2020 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AdditivewalnutSend a Private Message to AdditivewalnutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

edit: Can you repeat the clunk sound? Any other odd noises? Does the clutch position change anything?

I can't replicate it, no. I'll go out and turn the key and see if there are any other noises, and I'll play with the clutch
OH10fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2020 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroClick Here to Email OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure the starter is shimmed properly as well as the bolts are torqued to spec.
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2020 03:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are a number of electrical components that get power when the key is 'on'...including the ignition coil and the ICM. Maybe one of those has blown up.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 02-10-2020).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 547
Rate this member

Report this Post02-10-2020 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Light etc on means little.
Check battery is charge. Full charge is 12.6-13v, maybe a bit more, after been charging.

Not starting can be iffy ignition or many other things including low battery.
Low battery might make Starter to run but battery have nothing left to run the ECM and rest of electrics for engine.

Battery low/dead then recharge might still be bad.
If battery will take a charge and reach 12.6+v then try to start one time and check volts again.
Battery should be close to same.
If drops quickly to ~ 11v or less, battery very likely has bad cell and need a new battery.

If you pulled the dist, likely have bad timing and won't start.
Also See my Cave, HE Ignition

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-11-2020 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Either the clutch busted or a motor mount broke, hose will definitely make an engine shake while cranking. If the clutch came apart you should hear some grindage while cranking. For either of those to happen the instant you turned the key is pretty slim, but weirder stuffs happened to me.

For the pickup coil issue, just get a whole new distributor. Sometimes they are a biotch to change off the old dist

shem

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock