No crank by unplugged1981
Started on: 01-29-2020 08:03 PM
Replies: 5 (130 views)
Last post by: unplugged1981 on 01-30-2020 12:49 AM
unplugged1981

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2020 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unplugged1981Send a Private Message to unplugged1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello, fiero community! It will be greatly appreciated if you guys could give me an idea on whats going on with my car.

A couple of months ago my 85 fiero gt stalled while I was driving, It didn't make any noise before stalling. Eventually the car got tow back home.

Back home:
When I turned the ignition all lights are there and I hear the fuel pump turning on and I'm also able to turn the pop-up headlights on and off. Now, when I trie to start the car it would simply not crank/start. I went through the following things:

1- fuel pump ok
2- battery/fuses seems ok
3- alternator ok
4- new ignition coil
5- the icm looks good
6- the ignition pick up coil doesn't look good.

The only way I can get the car to crank but not to start is if I manually rotate the crankshaft pulley. Once I do that the car cranks but doesn't start and if I put my key to the off position and then try to start/crank the car again it's simply just won't crank/start.

It will crank again if I go and manually rotate the crankshaft pulley again.

I was thinking that do starter or the starter solenoid went bad but if that was the case it should at least crank, am I correct?

Thanks for any kind of help.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2020 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you use the words 'no crank' I assume you mean the crankshaft is not rotating at all.

It could be a combination of things causing the trouble.

1. Not enough power is getting to the starter, due to poor connections or damage to the cables.
2. There is a bad spot on your flywheel/flexplate...
3. The starter is a little loose and moving enough to bind. could be bad bearings in the starter.

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 01-29-2020).]

unplugged1981

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2020 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unplugged1981Send a Private Message to unplugged1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes I mean the crankshaft is not rotating
unplugged1981

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2020 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for unplugged1981Send a Private Message to unplugged1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

unplugged1981

38 posts
Member since Oct 2013
But what has me confuse is, why does the engine cranks again (and then of course when go I turn the ignition on and try to start) when I manually rotate the crankshaft.
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2020 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like the starters binding on the flywheel when cranking and not disengaging. When you rotate it by hand its turning slowly so the starter gear retracts and u can start it again. If the flywheel or starter teeth were bad, you would hear some serious grinding during starting. If you were missing enough teeth on the flywheel, the motor could turn till it hit that spot then no teeth to turn it from there.

Clean off the starter connections and make sure the starters tightened down

shem
unplugged1981

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2020 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for unplugged1981Send a Private Message to unplugged1981Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for your feedback guys I really appreciate I will try that out and let anyone know how things goes.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock