Ignition cuts out when i set and idle for over 5 minutes by MrDronenut 14
Started on: 01-28-2020 08:02 PM
Replies: 16 (213 views)
Last post by: Gall757 on 01-29-2020 11:41 AM
MrDronenut 14

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2020 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MrDronenut 14Send a Private Message to MrDronenut 14Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My 85 GT with stock 2.8(has headers)will start up and run like crazy. But,if i set at a drive thru,or wait with thd motor running with the boss-lady is in the store,first,my "check engine "light comes on,then,when i go to pull out,the motor quits w/i several seconds. If i let it cool down for 15 minutes or so, it starts right up. Ignition module in distributor? Thoughts?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2020 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MrDronenut 14:

...stock 2.8 (has headers)

Do you have any wrap applied to the headers (more specifically, the exhaust crossover), or any other form of heat barrier mounted to protect the distributor/ICM?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 01-28-2020).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2020 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You need to get the trouble code for the check engine light.

https://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/main.cgi?ECMCodes
MrDronenut 14

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2020 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MrDronenut 14Send a Private Message to MrDronenut 14Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Do you have any wrap applied to the headers (more specifically, the exhaust crossover), or any other form of heat barrier mounted to protect the distributor/ICM?

No sir. And,when i checked the temperature of the distributor, it was 190f
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2020 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No sir. And,when i checked the temperature of the distributor, it was 190f

Considering that 195°F is the thermostat temperature, I wouldn't expect the distributor to be any less with a fully warmed up engine. However, I suspect the base of the distributor (where the ICM is mounted) is a whole lot hotter.

MrDronenut 14

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2020 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MrDronenut 14Send a Private Message to MrDronenut 14Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Considering that 195°F is the thermostat temperature, I wouldn't expect the distributor to be any less with a fully warmed up engine. However, I suspect the base of the distributor (where the ICM is mounted) is a whole lot hotter.

I will put some heat shielding in tomorrow, plus my new icm,and let you know my results.
Thanks
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2020 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
And don't forget to apply a thin layer of decent heat sink compound between the base of the distributor and the ICM.

MrDronenut 14

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2020 08:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MrDronenut 14Send a Private Message to MrDronenut 14Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

And don't forget to apply a thin layer of decent heat sink compound between the base of the distributor and the ICM.

You got it!!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2020 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is your trunk blower still functional?
MrDronenut 14

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2020 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MrDronenut 14Send a Private Message to MrDronenut 14Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Is your trunk blower still functional?

I don't have one. I just got this car. Where would the blower be (or supposed to be) located.
I didn't have one in my 88 w/ Iron Duke
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2020 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Any '85-'87 Fiero with a V6 came with a trunk blower. It draws cool air from the passenger side rear wheel well area and blows through two aluminum tubes at the alternator and coil/distributor. It turns on whenever the rad fan comes on.
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2020 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Has headers?
Likely other changes you don't know or mention....

Like often is missing Heat Shield(s) protect the dist etc.
If gone then exhaust heat things a lot more then should and even w/ engine blower on will still heat more. That thin metal block IR from Exhaust lighting up everything behind it.

Engine electronics part like ICM often takes more heat then most other normal things but when you read 190°F the Part sees much higher In It and will stop working until cools or never again.

Most car electronics are Not like current PC CPU/GPU that slows down for high heat before will crash.

Replacing ICM and rest of the dist electrics likely will have same problem w/o proper heat shields even w/ best heat grease, blower rewired on full time, etc.
Note that Engine Blower, Rad Fan, and even the Heater Blower isn't made to run all the time. More so at full speed. Heater blower only last better because when on full time is often at low speeds.

Heat grease for ICM is good but matters what type used. "Liquid metal" and a few others eat Aluminum parts easy and often not just where you applied them. In Fiero V6 can eat the Dist and entire Intake is Aluminum.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

MrDronenut 14

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2020 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MrDronenut 14Send a Private Message to MrDronenut 14Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Has headers?
Likely other changes you don't know or mention....

Like often is missing Heat Shield(s) protect the dist etc.
If gone then exhaust heat things a lot more then should and even w/ engine blower on will still heat more. That thin metal block IR from Exhaust lighting up everything behind it.

Engine electronics part like ICM often takes more heat then most other normal things but when you read 190°F the Part sees much higher In It and will stop working until cools or never again.

Most car electronics are Not like current PC CPU/GPU that slows down for high heat before will crash.

Replacing ICM and rest of the dist electrics likely will have same problem w/o proper heat shields even w/ best heat grease, blower rewired on full time, etc.
Note that Engine Blower, Rad Fan, and even the Heater Blower isn't made to run all the time. More so at full speed. Heater blower only last better because when on full time is often at low speeds.

Heat grease for ICM is good but matters what type used. "Liquid metal" and a few others eat Aluminum parts easy and often not just where you applied them. In Fiero V6 can eat the Dist and entire Intake is Aluminum.

Wow. Gettin new wrinkles in my brain tonight!!! Lol. I thought that the headers/no shielding could be the culprit. No fan in motor compartment as far as i can tell. But,as soon as daylight hits tomorrow I'll be under the motor compartment and see what's up.
Y'all are excellent help.
Thanks
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2020 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

No fan in motor compartment as far as i can tell.

That's no surprise... as it's referred to as a trunk blower for good reason.

Any '85-'87 Fiero with a V6 came with a trunk blower. It draws cool air from the passenger side rear wheel well area and blows through two aluminum tubes at the alternator and coil/distributor. It turns on whenever the rad fan comes on.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2020 12:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
85-86-87 Trunk/Engine blower is often deleted by fools think they know better then GM.
Should be under right side trunk carpet w/ 2 outlet tubes on engine bay for dist and alt.

GM spent money on X part(s) for a very good reason otherwise GM Bean counters would crap all over this.
Yes, 88 Fiero V6 didn't have it but GM also change other parts too like new CS130 alt w/ 2 fans, One you see, One internal, and is better then SI in many ways.

Even if there...
Runs only w/ Rad Fan On unless someone rewired it and/or rad fan circuit.
If Coolant system works right and weather is cool/cold then rad fan often won't turn on w/ car parked/stop w/ engine at idle for a few minutes.

If you had engine vents block w/ snow or no wind might heat up faster.
Anything making air move can slow down convention heating but doesn't really affect Exhaust IR flooding things w/ missing shields.
See https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/141784.html

Related Example: Starter and solenoid often don't have them from factory but many last longer w/ one. More so w/ Fiero get Exhaust IR from top and the cat. Even when car is off... Cat and engine takes time to cool and heats the starter etc until then. Many stop a store for a few minutes then won't start because of this. shield block a lot of IR so won't heat up so much.

(Edit to correct blower years.)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 01-29-2020).]

MrDronenut 14

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2020 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MrDronenut 14Send a Private Message to MrDronenut 14Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

86-87 Trunk/Engine blower is often deleted by fools think they know better then GM.
Should be under right side trunk carpet w/ 2 outlet tubes on engine bay for dist and alt.

GM spent money on X part(s) for a very good reason otherwise GM Bean counters would crap all over this.
Yes, 88 Fiero V6 didn't have it but GM also change other parts too like new CS130 alt w/ 2 fans, One you see, One internal, and is better then SI in many ways.

Even if there...
Runs only w/ Rad Fan On unless someone rewired it and/or rad fan circuit.
If Coolant system works right and weather is cool/cold then rad fan often won't turn on w/ car parked/stop w/ engine at idle for a few minutes.

If you had engine vents block w/ snow or no wind might heat up faster.
Anything making air move can slow down convention heating but doesn't really affect Exhaust IR flooding things w/ missing shields.
See https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/141784.html

Related Example: Starter and solenoid often don't have them from factory but many last longer w/ one. More so w/ Fiero get Exhaust IR from top and the cat. Even when car is off... Cat and engine takes time to cool and heats the starter etc until then. Many stop a store for a few minutes then won't start because of this. shield block a lot of IR so won't heat up so much.

Ok. I've opened the lid to the engine compartment, and,i see a 1"tube connected to the "trailing edge",of the motor compartment, coming out of the "leading edge "of the storage area, located on the right side,and it makes a "u-turn"and appears to be pointed at the alternator.. But!!!. Nothing going to my distributor. I can see what appears to be hangers on the rear wall.
Can anyone send me a picture of what I'm needing? TIA
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2020 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...050119-2-054112.html

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 01-29-2020).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock