Line Output Converter by Vicophine
Started on: 01-22-2020 09:36 PM
Replies: 10 (352 views)
Last post by: jjd2296 on 01-25-2020 09:24 AM
Vicophine

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2020 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VicophineSend a Private Message to VicophineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey, so I'm trying to add rear wall speakers to my Fiero and to properly power them I purchased a Boss Amp.

BOSS Audio Systems AR1200.2 2 Channel Car Amplifier - 1200 Watts, Full Range, Class AB, 2-4 Ohm Stable, Mosfet Power Supply, Bridgeable, Black, 1200 WATTS

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B..._apa_i_6xqkEb3N55A6F

Now I have a Firebird Monsoon HU in my Fiero, is working fine. But I don't see an RCA port on the back of it. It appears from what I've read that I need a "Line Output Converter" or a "Line Level Adapter", both of these things I have NO experience with, does anyone have any suggestions?

Note: I REALLY don't want to get a new HU, I love my Monsoon and adore the period correct look to it. Pictures attached for assistance.

Thank you.

------------------
88 Fiero, Duke - 3 Speed Auto - Swap Pending
85 Fiero GT - V6 - 4 Speed MT - Donor

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Vicophine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2020 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VicophineSend a Private Message to VicophineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Additional photo of amp.

------------------
88 Fiero, Duke - 3 Speed Auto - Swap Pending
85 Fiero GT - V6 - 4 Speed MT - Donor

Vicophine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2020 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VicophineSend a Private Message to VicophineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thinking of trying this unit, but I want your guys input first!

https://www.amazon.com/Audi.../dp/B00IIL0LW0?th=1#
MarkS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2020 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSSend a Private Message to MarkSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is it possible the factory Monsoon radio set up had external amplifiers and therefore line line level outputs already? The later model Monsoon in my G6 has an external amp.

These guys may know:

https://replacementradios.com/

Vicophine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2020 10:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for VicophineSend a Private Message to VicophineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by MarkS:

Is it possible the factory Monsoon radio set up had external amplifiers and therefore line line level outputs already? The later model Monsoon in my G6 has an external amp.

These guys may know:

https://replacementradios.com/

I was under the impression that the Monsoon had an INTERNAL amp built into the HU. This seems like the HU just does not have the ports for RCA.

Am checking all options.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2020 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A good car audio site http://www.bcae1.com/

The BOSS amplifier has high level (speaker) inputs.
Run the rear speaker wires to that, then the amp's outputs to your new speakers.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 01-23-2020).]

Vicophine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2020 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VicophineSend a Private Message to VicophineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

A good car audio site http://www.bcae1.com/

The BOSS amplifier has high level (speaker) inputs.
Run the rear speaker wires to that, then the amp's outputs to your new speakers.

Going to give this method a shot! Will post updates on how it goes. Worst case scenario, I'll get the AudioControl LC2i, but from setting up my Monsoon and what not, Fierosound's advice has been 100% accurate and solid!
Fiero Thomas

Feedback score:    (170)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 125
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2020 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero ThomasSend a Private Message to Fiero ThomasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK let me fill you in. You will need a line out converter. I have included a link at the bottom of this post. This is the LC2I the best converter that you can get for the money. I am an MECP certified installer and have done many of these radios to amps. Get the LC2I and do it right the first time. Just make sure you get the polarity right on the wires you cut or you will run out of phase and that will kill your bass output. You can do the high line outs on this amp but they will limit you as the voltage is not that high coming out of them.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Au...2:g:4xAAAOSw8V9eFOTr

------------------
Thank You
Thomas
NIFE Activity Director
1987 Fiero GT T-Top 1988 Fiero Formula

FieroNews
FieroNews Spare Tire Cover
FieroNews Windshield Banners

[This message has been edited by Fiero Thomas (edited 01-23-2020).]

Vicophine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2020 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for VicophineSend a Private Message to VicophineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Thomas:

OK let me fill you in. You will need a line out converter. I have included a link at the bottom of this post. This is the LC2I the best converter that you can get for the money. I am an MECP certified installer and have done many of these radios to amps. Get the LC2I and do it right the first time. Just make sure you get the polarity right on the wires you cut or you will run out of phase and that will kill your bass output. You can do the high line outs on this amp but they will limit you as the voltage is not that high coming out of them.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Au...2:g:4xAAAOSw8V9eFOTr

That is the exact one I was looking at picking up! I think I'll get that Sunday and see how it goes! While I can probably get it to work without it, I agree, from what I have learned, that converter seems best for wiring and sound quality. Will update it as it goes.

I should have done more research on how it would connect to the Monsoon HU ahead of time lol

[This message has been edited by Vicophine (edited 01-23-2020).]

rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2020 07:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vicophine:

I was under the impression that the Monsoon had an INTERNAL amp built into the HU. This seems like the HU just does not have the ports for RCA.

Am checking all options.

The head unit is nothing special - it's just an ordinary 1.5 DIN Delco radio with a Monsoon label on it. In fact, some of the early Monsoon systems didn't even have the label on the head unit. Camaro HUs are black with black controls and blue/white illumination. Firebird HUs are dark gray with gray controls and red illumination. Both types are basically the same and are physically interchangeable although they had some different features - Camaros came with speed compensated volume whereas Firebirds have a graphic equalizer. Both are capable of using a power antenna but only the Firebirds came with one. None of the factory head units had MP3 capability, line-level (RCA) output, or auxiliary input other than for the factory CD changer (although there are adapters available).

More information here.

Hope this helps.
jjd2296

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2020 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jjd2296Send a Private Message to jjd2296Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does it matter what speaker lines you tape into when installing the line converter? I’m doing a similar set up with the FS rear speaker panel and 2 6.5 woofers just don’t know where to tape the speaker lines?
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock