Valve adjust while running by PAUL66
Started on: 01-22-2020 03:47 PM
Replies: 6 (230 views)
Last post by: PAUL66 on 01-29-2020 11:05 PM
PAUL66

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2020 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PAUL66Send a Private Message to PAUL66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I adjusted the valves 1.5 turns past zero lash and they clacked like a SOB. So the. I looked up cranes recommendations as I have roller lifters. They say 1.75 turns past zero lash. I went back and did that and it is much better but I still have some clackers. I use to adjust 350s with some little covers placed over the lifters to keep oil from splashing. I know this would be a pain since you have to take the intake off twice to take the valve covers off and then put them back, but adjusting while running is the most accurate. My question is has anybody done it on a 2.8/3.4 and if so was there any hurdles/mess? Thoughts?

Paul
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2020 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PAUL66:

I know this would be a pain since you have to take the intake off twice to take the valve covers off and then put them back, but adjusting while running is the most accurate.

You might wish to look at this thread... It's true, 2.8 valve covers CAN be removed without removing the middle intake plenum! ...and in This post I give my advice on adjusting 2.8 valve lash.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2020 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Easiest and most foolproof way to adjust hydraulic lifters with the engine not running.. Loosen up all of the rocker bolts on all cylinders.. Now take out all the slack of every pushrod by rotating up and down until there is no movement. Turn engine 1/4 turn do this on all the pushrods again. Go another 1/4 turn do it again, and keep going on each 1/4 rotation until you have gone two full rotations. Now turn each rocker down 1 turn and you have achieved the perfect preload.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 01-23-2020).]

lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2020 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you are using roller lifters, did you also get the 5.85" length pushrods?
Also - what rockers are you using? If you are using full roller rockers then you may need the valve cover spacers I have because the clacking you hear may be from the valve covers.
If you are using GEN2 1.6 rockers then you should be good as far as clearance.
PAUL66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2020 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PAUL66Send a Private Message to PAUL66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

If you are using roller lifters, did you also get the 5.85" length pushrods?
Also - what rockers are you using? If you are using full roller rockers then you may need the valve cover spacers I have because the clacking you hear may be from the valve covers.
If you are using GEN2 1.6 rockers then you should be good as far as clearance.

Sorry I miss typed roller lifters, I meant roller rockers and they are stock ratio so stock pushrods as well
PAUL66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2020 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PAUL66Send a Private Message to PAUL66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Easiest and most foolproof way to adjust hydraulic lifters with the engine not running.. Loosen up all of the rocker bolts on all cylinders.. Now take out all the slack of every pushrod by rotating up and down until there is no movement. Turn engine 1/4 turn do this on all the pushrods again. Go another 1/4 turn do it again, and keep going on each 1/4 rotation until you have gone two full rotations. Now turn each rocker down 1 turn and you have achieved the perfect preload.

That’s awesome, never thought of doing it that way but it makes perfect since. Thanks for the reply.
PAUL66

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2020 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PAUL66Send a Private Message to PAUL66Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

PAUL66

26 posts
Member since Jun 2019

Originally posted by Patrick:

You might wish to look at this thread... It's true, 2.8 valve covers CAN be removed without removing the middle intake plenum! ...and in This post I give my advice on adjusting 2.8 valve lash.

I have done it both ways. My car doesn’t have the throttle body heater pipes on it and I find it is easier just to get it out of the way. Fighting the wiring harnesses laying on top of the upper bc bolts is just a pia to me. Thanks for the info though.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock