Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Iron duke fuel filter (TBI) with 3800 sc (TPI) cause problems?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Iron duke fuel filter (TBI) with 3800 sc (TPI) cause problems? by BadNewsBrendan
Started on: 01-22-2020 12:30 PM
Replies: 3 (105 views)
Last post by: theogre on 01-22-2020 02:18 PM
BadNewsBrendan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2020 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BadNewsBrendanSend a Private Message to BadNewsBrendanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been using the stock fiero iron duke fuel filter with my l67 3800 sc swap. I started thinking this might be a bad idea with the high difference in fuel pressure between the two engines and fuel pumps. Does anyone know if this would cause any issues with fuel pressure, flow rate, clogging injectors due to different micron ratings etc? Was getting some drops in power at higher rpm WOT and was wonder if this could have something to do with it. Any thoughts or info is appreciated.

------------------
"America is all about speed, hot nasty bad-ass speed" - Eleanor Roosevelt

Tetanus
1984 3800 II SC Build

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2020 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fuel filter won't matter.
Same filter is used by cars and trucks w/ far bigger engines.
Many Others have different PN because of different fittings to the line but uses same filter.

If fact unless something is major wrong w/ fuel source etc.... Takes Years to Decades to clog this Filter type.
Is not like small filters many add to a engine or have in old carb designs.

Factory installed Filter... inlet left, outlet right.
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

ETA---> Flow direction matters. Flow backward then easier to plug and wreck the media. Should have an Arrow etc to show to install right way.
This filter is mostly installed so mounted on the side, IOW horizontally, so a lot of heavy trash sinks and sit on the bottom and light trash floats so won't plug the media. If swap engine install them different then maybe easier to plug.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 01-22-2020).]

BadNewsBrendan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2020 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BadNewsBrendanSend a Private Message to BadNewsBrendanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh awesome, that is good to hear. Is there any chance it would allow larger particles though that could clog the injectors than the stock filter for the 3800 engine? I read something about needing to switch to a lower micron fuel filter when converting to E85 and running higher cfm injectors and wondered if same applied to going from the tbi on the fiero (~10 psi) to the tpi (~50 psi). Might just be over thinking things. Pretty convinced my issue is coil pack related but haven't dug into it yet with how cold it is in my garage.

------------------
"America is all about speed, hot nasty bad-ass speed" - Eleanor Roosevelt

Tetanus
1984 3800 II SC Build

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2020 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
V6 and V8 w/ 40+PSI fuel pressure uses same filter.
Case is some type of SS and doesn't care. Filter media doesn't care too unless fuel is crap and plug it.

Plug filter like anything else that restrict flow more then system is design for not only make engine run like crap can wreck the Fuel Pump. Gas is Coolant and Lube to the pump and low/no flow will kill it fast. And I Mean All cars w/ E-pumps not just Fiero. Even running out of gas can kill most electric pumps.

E85 causes problems beside filter needed and doesn't apply here.

Fiero and others are design to handle E10. Just read Owner's Book.
Even most old cars can run E10 but many before EVAP controls (Any made before ~ 1975) tanks vent to air using the vented gas cap allowing ethanol to draw moisture from air fast. Is also why most small engine have problems w/ E10. Worse many have crap gas cans to store gas too.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock