What panels are SMC and what are plastic by 1987 Trans Am
Started on: 01-21-2020 09:34 AM
Replies: 3 (469 views)
Last post by: Gall757 on 01-22-2020 09:40 AM
1987 Trans Am

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2020 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1987 Trans AmSend a Private Message to 1987 Trans AmEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im sure this has been covered before but Im just looking for a quick answer. What panels are SMC and what are plastic on the Fiero? Im prepping my car for paint and I know that the hood and decklid are SMC but is the roof and notch piece as well? Thanks in advance!

Mike
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2020 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
mrminty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2020 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrmintySend a Private Message to mrmintyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I worked in the Pontiac Motors plastic plant from 1985 through the end of the Fiero run. They started running rear quarter panels on a trial basis with Dupont bexloy plastic and I believe by late 1986 went to bexloy full time in place of the RRIM parts. I was one of two operators on day shift. They also had some door dies there that ran trials in bexloy but never went into production. You can tell these quarters because they are white on the back side rather than yellow. We were always told that all horizontal panels were SMC. I currently have a 1986 SE with 28,000 original miles.

[This message has been edited by mrminty (edited 01-21-2020).]

Gall757

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2020 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the Forum! Do you know if the repair methods are different for Bexloy?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock