Headlight headache, Need help by Sledgehammer
Started on: 01-20-2020 10:56 PM
Replies: 3 (147 views)
Last post by: theogre on 01-21-2020 02:26 PM
Sledgehammer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2020 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SledgehammerSend a Private Message to SledgehammerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a 1987 GT with a passenger side headlight not going up or down. I have read most of the listings here and have not found a solution.So Far I have 1. rebuilt both headlight assembly’s & motors
2. Replaced the dashboard switch
3. Replaced the usable links (both)
4. Tested each headlight assembly using 12 volts and reversing the polarity. Both work fine.

As a matter of assumption, I feel power is not reaching the right side headlight because it doesn’t”t move or do anything when I turn on the switch.
Anyone have any suggestions? I read a lot and opinion seems to omit the control unit as they are usually solid and never fail.

So I could use some help. I just don’t want to go out and buy a control unit just to see if that fixes the problem. The left side works fine.

THis car has sat in storage (outside) for about 10-15 years before I purchased it. So, I don’t know if the headlight worked before I got the car.

Any help would be appreciated.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2020 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The module can fail. This may help

https://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin...5675&style=printable

------------------
Anything I might say is probably worth what you paid for it, so treat it accordingly!

Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

Sledgehammer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2020 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SledgehammerSend a Private Message to SledgehammerEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Dave, Thanks for the info.

In the service manual they provide a test procedure for the control unit. However, this appears to only eliminate or confirm if the wire from the Control module to the Headlight works. To perform the test you have to access the control module which is a pain to reach. I think what I will do is test the wire using the LEFT headlight as the source for the power and run another wire to the failed headlight. If that is successful then the only remaining cause for failure is the control module. If it turns out to be the control module I will try your recommended option.

Thanks again for the help.

Gerry
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2020 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Following thread above and other to fix the Module is a bad move. Read that all and you find he's "fix" module damn near burn the whole car at minimum.
See my Cave, Gen 2 HL Motor

"Rebuilding" Gen2 HL motors have many problems. Almost as bad as Gen1 but many ignore this and others don't listen. Worse believe hype push by others to sell motor parts.

Module Will shut off even if just turn on by you. Module sees motor w/ jamming, End of Travel, crap "Repairs"/"Rebuilding" motor(s) and shut off power in Microseconds.
Beside actual motor problems... jamming/binding the rest of HL lifts and doors makes motors draw more amps and module can shut off 1 or both motors for this too.
So Module is likely doing its job.

Module don't die only in one direction 99+% of time. Rarely the Relay in it might have crap in the contacts.

Can get New Gen2 motors from Cardone and others.
Cardone AZ has Lifetime Warranty. Can get Cheaper on Ebay and others but has X days (30-90) or no warranty.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 01-21-2020).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock