Tach Wire by altownsend
Started on: 01-17-2020 09:59 PM
Replies: 3 (132 views)
Last post by: altownsend on 01-24-2020 02:51 PM
altownsend

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2020 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for altownsendSend a Private Message to altownsendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1986 Fiero 4-Speed

Aftermarket Stewart Warner Tach

Someone, please give me the color wiring for an after market tach. I have additional wires (brown with black stripe, brown, green), and I need to learn which one is for the tach. My current tach wire, purple, runs to the connector, but, no wire is terminated on the opposite side of the connector.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2020 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A google search brings up several results.
You probably also need to set up the tach to work with your ignition system.

Those instructions may vary slightly depending on the model of your tach, so.....

google is your friend.
altownsend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2020 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for altownsendSend a Private Message to altownsendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The tach, along with all of the aftermarket Stewart Garner gauges were installed and terminated. But, none of them worked. I unplugged them all and tried to fix the wiring, and I got the Volt meter to work. But, the volt meter needle goes from 12/14 Volts with key on position to '0' when the engine is running.

The tach has a purple wire in the tach side of the connector, but the opposite side of that pin, there is no wire attached. The pin hole has no wire. I have loose wires but need to know what color goes in that empty pin hole, and if possible, test that circuit if I learn the procedure for testing.

The fuel gauge does not work. I get no ohm reading at the gauge. I do get an ohm reading when I test at the rear firewall with the fuel sender connector disconnected and test at the gauge side of the connector. Then I test ohms at the fuel sender side of the connector, I get 4.3 ohms when testing against the ground and the far other wire (not the middle wire). This may be a sender issue.

Oil Pressure gauge pegs out. I have no idea how to fix this. If someone can provide instructions, please share.

Let's take these one at a time:

Volt gauge - shows 12/14 volts with the key in the 'on' position and zeros out when the engine is running. Let's start there. Anyone know what my problem is?
altownsend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2020 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for altownsendSend a Private Message to altownsendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tach is now working. It turned out that a previous owner had the wrong signal wire terminated to the tach at the dash. I traced the wire from the tach filter using an ohm test meter from the engine bay to loose wires at the dash and found the correct wire. Terminated the correct wire, and with the engine running, the tach is working.

[This message has been edited by altownsend (edited 01-24-2020).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock