I dont think i can keep going by Natesnotchies
Started on: 01-17-2020 05:51 PM
Replies: 20 (755 views)
Last post by: Natesnotchies on 02-06-2020 09:21 PM
Natesnotchies

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2020 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NatesnotchiesSend a Private Message to NatesnotchiesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bought this as a project now pulling my hair out
It had a rat

Thought i would
rebuild
Decided against that
[img]https://images.fiero.nl/userimages/Nate snotchies/20190510_171105.jpg[/img]
Then i started collecting now ive got two non running fiero second fiero has spark gas but no start it will crank just wont start .... please help
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
BadNewsBrendan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2020 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BadNewsBrendanSend a Private Message to BadNewsBrendanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yikes on the rats. I really hope you didn't pay $1200 for that engine.....

------------------
"America is all about speed, hot nasty bad-ass speed" - Eleanor Roosevelt

Tetanus
1984 3800 II SC Build

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2020 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check fuel pressure and flow trying to start.
9 -13 psi Low/no pressure is mostly problems w/ F-pump, TBI and lines.
ECM will not "send" fuel signal if has problems seeing ignition working. Module is likely good but wiring or ECM itself is iffy.
See my Cave, HE Ignition and Ground "Myth" notes

need Alldatadiy.com etc for 84.
Has correct wiring for 84 that's way different then all later years.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2020 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Your next purchase should be a Factory Service Manual.

The time it will save you will more than pay for it.
Natesnotchies

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2020 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NatesnotchiesSend a Private Message to NatesnotchiesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bad news when i told the guy i just wanted the engine he was in agreement the car wasnt road worthy and came way down on the price.... the rat fiero wasnt too bad but had everything i needed
Natesnotchies

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2020 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NatesnotchiesSend a Private Message to NatesnotchiesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Natesnotchies

9 posts
Member since Jan 2020

Originally posted by theogre:

Check fuel pressure and flow trying to start.
9 -13 psi Low/no pressure is mostly problems w/ F-pump, TBI and lines.
ECM will not "send" fuel signal if has problems seeing ignition working. Module is likely good but wiring or ECM itself is iffy.
See my Cave, HE Ignition and Ground "Myth" notes

need Alldatadiy.com etc for 84.
Has correct wiring for 84 that's way different then all later years.

The red one is a 85 i see fuel going spark is good it freaking wont start with starter fluid
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2020 11:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
85 86 engine etc are mostly same so use 85 or 86 Fiero FSM or use alldata.

84 TBI Distributor and other things have different connector etc too.
So If you swap L4 between two then watch/switch those parts.

Alldata has same data in GM FSM covers most of info most would need but not a complete copy of FSM.
Get for a year and print everything you need to PDF software printer driver.

Haynes etc helps some but have many issues or problems trying to match their data to a real car because doesn't get data from GM etc.

Run on starter fluid is possible but can still flood the engine.
Check plugs are wet right after trying.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2020 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Natesnotchies...

Trying to make sense of your post.

You have 1984 4-cylinder with engine harness chewed up.
If engine was OK, all it really needed was new engine harness.
But you pulled engine for rebuild and decided NOT to do that now?

So you bought a 2nd Fiero. What year, what engine?
That doesn't run either with original engine?
You say it has gas/spark and cranks but no fire at all?

And you plan to swap in a 3800 S/C sometime in the future?
For which car? The 84 has some wiring very different from later years.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Habanera Hal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2020 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Habanera HalSend a Private Message to Habanera HalEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have e-mail.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2020 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not much data here to make suggestions so what I would suggest is that the OP invest in a quality scan tool that will help pinpoint the problem(s) A good start would be to first measure the fuel pressure. Some owners stubbornly resist purchasing diagnostic equipment or software but you cannot accomplish much by working in the blind.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Natesnotchies

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2020 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NatesnotchiesSend a Private Message to NatesnotchiesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To clear post up i have a 84 thats black i dropped the engine for rebuild and thought i went through all this trouble to drop the engine why dont i just upgrade and put a 3800sc in it ... it was at this point i found the harness chewed up .... so i thought no problem i will just replace when i get the new harness .... but then i over paid for a second red 85 non running fiero i see the gas squirting so i automatically assumed hey ive got gas pulled plugs 3 outta four are wet as well as sparking so my next step will be to use fresh gas because who knows how long its been sitting ... filter change and pressure test are close in my future just frustrated because i had to put a new crankshaft pulley and flange on due to the careless mechanic before me that did tighten it down... purchased with sheared off bolts in the flange....
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2020 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Natesnotchies:

To clear post up i have a 84 thats black i dropped the engine for rebuild and thought i went through all this trouble to drop the engine why dont i just upgrade and put a 3800sc in it ... it was at this point i found the harness chewed up .... so i thought no problem i will just replace when i get the new harness ....

but then i over paid for a second red 85 non running fiero i see the gas squirting so i automatically assumed hey ive got gas pulled plugs 3 outta four are wet as well as sparking so my next step will be to use fresh gas because who knows how long its been sitting ... filter change and pressure test are close in my future just frustrated because i had to put a new crankshaft pulley and flange on due to the careless mechanic before me that did tighten it down... purchased with sheared off bolts in the flange....

Gotcha.

Let's get that 85 running.
Post what happens with fresh fuel and pressure test.
Natesnotchies

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2020 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NatesnotchiesSend a Private Message to NatesnotchiesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
More frustration the fresh gas and fuel treatment added and go to crank dead as a doornail with a brand new napa battery in it .... hooked up a set of jumpers same results .... i didnt do a fuel pressure test due to the fact i see plenty going into the carb ... how is it that lightspeed has one that has 228,000 miles on it and i have 2 with less miles than that put together ... next up new spark plug since i have had new gas and starter fluid and no kaboom im leaning more towards lack of spark i just cant figure it out ... i cant believe such a small engine can have all these hiccups

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-21-2020 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is the trick IMO, buy one that runs and drives well. Then you can still enjoy, while working on the project as a "side".

Natesnotchies

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2020 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NatesnotchiesSend a Private Message to NatesnotchiesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
2.5 im trying to run the 2.5 while working on the 3800sc swap ... fingers crossed ill have 2 running fieros...

Natesnotchies

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2020 09:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NatesnotchiesSend a Private Message to NatesnotchiesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Natesnotchies

9 posts
Member since Jan 2020
2.5 im trying to run the 2.5 while working on the 3800sc swap ... fingers crossed ill have 2 running fieros...

shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2020 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If u have spark and fuel and it wont start w starting fluid, your timing is off or compression is too low to fire

shem
Natesnotchies

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2020 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NatesnotchiesSend a Private Message to NatesnotchiesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shem after reading these posts ive come to the conclusion that fuel pressure isnt quite right ... i see fuel dumping into carburetor but people say it should be i fine mist of fuel .... therefore im going to chase down the electrical side of the relay and oil pressure switch due to the massive drawl on the battery.... which leads me to believe fuel pump not priming ...
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2020 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The fuel pump doesnt "prime" - it is submerged in fuel in the fuel tank.
The presence of fuel at the throttle body (its not a carburator) proves that the fuel pump is working.

You need to check fuel pressure with a fuel pressure gage.
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2020 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Make sure the plugs are dry and will spark, pull the fuel pump fuse and try to start on starting fluid. If it fires up u have a fuel issue, if it doesnt u have a spark issue. There should be a pretty fine spray coming outta the injector, if its just dumping gas down the tb its not going to fire. U may have a broken injector if its pouring fuel down

shem
Natesnotchies

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2020 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NatesnotchiesSend a Private Message to NatesnotchiesEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shem im with you ... hoping a clogged injector not a non working injector is there a fuse for this injector because its definitely dumping fuel not sure how this effects the ecm or the ignition but spark is present feeling like it could be flooding the engine idk what to do
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock