Another rear brake question by Lilchief
Started on: 01-14-2020 07:43 PM
Replies: 1 (110 views)
Last post by: theogre on 01-15-2020 01:21 PM
Lilchief

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2020 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After reading a number of caliper rebuild post and doing searches, I have not seen how to get the outer piston out of a rear caliper. This is on an 88 and I don't want to mess it up. I'd rather ask a stupid question than have to buy rear caliper. They are really getting hard to find and not cheap. Thanks Rick
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2020 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rear piston get pushed out same as front. A bit easier since can just use P-brake screw to push it out.

If not damaged already, Outer dust boot can stretch to move piston thru to get piston out.
New boot is installed after the piston is in.

Install piston is harder because P-brake screw seal.
Very easy to cut that pushing screw in the hole. Seal and hole needs fluid applied to lube them but still can ruin the seal. Bad enough that Damage screw seal may not leak right away and even then maybe only drop each time you push the pedal... Worse, Brake fluid "eats" most paints and even many alloy wheels.

But note that "rebuilding" rears often fail because of iffy piston guts.
If piston back cover is blown out then have piston problems even if don't leak fluid thru plug valve in front.
See my Cave, Rear Piston notes

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

IP: Logged

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock