Can you identify what this part is for? by Scott Cu
Started on: 01-14-2020 04:03 PM
Replies: 7 (251 views)
Last post by: theogre on 01-15-2020 01:02 AM
Scott Cu

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2020 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott CuSend a Private Message to Scott CuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It was loose in the trunk (previous owner)  and I am curious to know what it is for

Thank you 

------------------
Scott Cu

[This message has been edited by Scott Cu (edited 01-14-2020).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
seq

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2020 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seqSend a Private Message to seqEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Blue Dingy Thingy. It makes the dings when you leave your lights on, keys in ignition, etc.

It plugs in under the passenger-side dash.

------------------
--
Seq

1987 Fiero GT : Information | Gallery

NOTE: If you re-host any of my images on PIP, send me the Image URL and link to this post, and I'll update it.

[This message has been edited by seq (edited 01-14-2020).]

Scott Cu

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2020 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott CuSend a Private Message to Scott CuEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you Seq

That makes sense
Thank you for the quick response

Scott
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2020 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some just hate them but likely is in the trunk because is defective and often chimes when shouldn't.

See my Cave, Chime Unit
If true most are easily fix but need careful soldering marked areas to Not damage the board.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2020 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ironically, GM called it the Convenience Center. But when it starts malfunctioning (which is common), it's anything but convenient.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2020 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Mine worked correctly, but I've been doing a lot of tests lately with the key-on and the door open, so it me drove nuts. Or tests with the lights on and the door open.

I could only handle about 15 minutes of ding-ding-ding before pulling out the sucker. Not sure if I'll replace it. I'll keep it in a safe place should I change my mind.
Eliredandblack

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2020 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EliredandblackSend a Private Message to EliredandblackEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Everyone may think that I am CRAZY, but I purchased a used chime because the one in my car didn’t make any sound. Even though my parking brake is marginally effective, the chime ensures that I release the parking brake before moving the car. The way the lever lays on the floor, makes it way to easy to forget the parking brakes is engaged. I also will forget to turn off the headlights, as most of the newer cars have headlights that turn themselves on at night. Bad habits are hard to break.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2020 01:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Blacktree:
Ironically, GM called it the Convenience Center. But when it starts malfunctioning (which is common), it's anything but convenient.
Very likely The plug it goes into is the Convenience Center or that plug, horn relay, and hazard flash can are included in that name. What name attach by iffy authors for all GM FSM often has problems to completely wrong. Worse they copy/past same iffy data to other FSM for other models. (Same reason Fiero 84 85 and 86 FSM has many errors in rear brake section.)

Most GM parts sources have chime box listed as Alarm Assembly or just Alarm. Some have a full name but used like military part name...
Example: GMPartsGiant.com is Alarm Asm-Seat Belt, Ignition Key & Lamp

Side note: Lectron that made them calls them simply a Tone Generator in US Patent # 42547036 etc.
(Lectron Products, Inc. was bought out by Eaton in 96.)

Unlike Other cars "chime box(es)" etc that you have to dig under the dash in more places.
Example: Many old Ford cars had "chime box" and hazard can hidden under P-side dash and very hard to get at. I often had to remove glove box screws to reach them easier. Often they Didn't have Horn relay at all or hidden someplace else.

Originally posted by Eliredandblack:
Everyone may think that I am CRAZY, but I purchased a used chime because the one in my car didn’t make any sound. Even though my parking brake is marginally effective, the chime ensures that I release the parking brake before moving the car. The way the lever lays on the floor, makes it way to easy to forget the parking brakes is engaged. I also will forget to turn off the headlights, as most of the newer cars have headlights that turn themselves on at night. Bad habits are hard to break.
There's that and even before new car timer HL turn off... Many have bad HL motor(s) or disable them in winter and if needed for bad weather driving during daytime easy to leave HL etc bulbs on and kill the battery.

Many I-key switches are "bad" and don't chime w/ key in the lock sometimes or never. Many don't fix the switch because is buried in the S-column.
HL light chime is disabled turning Dash Dimmer off.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock