Started on: 01-14-2020 12:49 PM
Replies: 18 (399 views)
Last post by: sourmash on 01-15-2020 10:16 PM
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2020 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I’ve been having a conversation in a General section thread about someone’s low mileage 4.9 find, and instead of taking over that thread I want to continue the discussion here for doing the research for doing my 4.9 swap.

The current discussion is about automatic transaxles, and which one to use. It would seem that the transaxle that came with my 4.9 engine has the Deville 3.11 gears, which some say is bad gearing. It appears to be a 4T80E, and others have said they used a 4T60E, so I want to clarify which transaxle I should use with this swap.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2020 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Although I already have the engine for my swap, for reference I want to list the years and models you’d want for your 4.9. According to this link from olejoedad...

http://www.gmtuners.com/

...it says 91-94 Cadillac. My engine is a 93 Sedan Deville engine, so good. The transaxle, I’m told, has the 3.11 gearing, which I’m told is not the best. According to car-part.com this is a 4T80E, and I’ve seen some folks reference the 4T60E in their swaps. So I need some clarification as to which transaxle we should be talking about, since I will likely be looking for a used or rebuilt transaxle with beater gearing. I need your help here.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2020 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fierobear

27079 posts
Member since Aug 2000
When doing a transmission search on car-part.com, these are the transmission options when looking up a 93 Deville...

This isn’t even showing a 3.11 ratio, but 2.97 and 2.93 (meaning even worse than the 3.11?)
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2020 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 4T80E was *ONLY* used with the Northstar. You definitely do not have that.

3.11 may refer to the combination of chain ratio and final drive... So a 2.97 final drive with a 1.05 chain ratio = 3.11. I'm not the expert on what parts were actually available or built, however.

3.11 is a lot of gear for a low-revving engine like the 4.9.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 01-14-2020).]

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2020 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 4T80E was never used with the 4.9 V8.
The only transmission used with the 4.9 was the 4T60E.
The 4T60Ewas used with several GM engines.
It is easily identifiable.....
No throttle valve cable
Vacuum modulator
Electrical plug faces forward

fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2020 01:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Excellent information, guys, thanks.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2020 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A friend had a Fiero with a 4.9 and the 85 - 86 four speed manual 3.65/1 differential.
He said the gearing was great, except for on the highway where the revs were too high.
He later changed to the F40, it was good except first gear was useless.
He later replaced the 4.9 with an LS3.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2020 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

A friend had a Fiero with a 4.9 and the 85 - 86 four speed manual 3.65/1 differential.
He said the gearing was great, except for on the highway where the revs were too high.
He later changed to the F40, it was good except first gear was useless.
He later replaced the 4.9 with an LS3.

Sounds like 3.71 should do the job.

FYI, under California smog I can’t use a manual transmission so I’ll be sticking with an automatic.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2020 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would find a Seville or Eldorado trans (Or rebuild yours with a a chain/sprocket change.)
The 3.33 FDR came stock in the Eldo and Seville, IIRC. So it's already proven to work with the 4.9. (I hated my Deville 2.97s.)

A word of warning...
There are at least six different EEPROMs/definition files for the various 4.9 Cadillac vehicles. Most of the differences probably have to do with transmissions and their respective gearing / wiring / connectors, and the different years.
You will probably want to source the CALPAK (EEPROM plug-in) from the same vehicle you get the trans from, to ensure compatibility.
If you use the wrong program with the wrong trans, you will possibly find yourself running in "limp home" mode. That happened to me when I tried to run a non-compatible program in mine, while I still had the 4T60E.
(Others folks may have a better suggestion, or have more insight into what program works with which drivetrain. I welcome that input. That's all I've got.)

Edit - Here's another link from Sinister. Your 4T60E probably already has the 3.33 gears, but in order to realize that final ratio, you will need to swap in a 35/35 sprocket set. Yours probably has the 37/33 set.
http://www.gmtuners.com/ima...FWD_trans_ratios.pdf

This link tells you how to identify exactly which trans you have.
http://www.gmtuners.com/transmission/index.htm

Originally posted by fierobear:
Sounds like 3.71 should do the job.

The 3.71 only came in the 4T80E. I promise that that's not what you have. Not if it came bolted to your 4.9.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 01-14-2020).]

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2020 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
fierobear, even though the 85 - 86 four speed has a 3.65 differential, fourth gear is a 0.81 overdrive, dropping the overall final ratio to 2.96.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2020 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

I would find a Seville or Eldorado trans (Or rebuild yours with a a chain/sprocket change.)
The 3.33 FDR came stock in the Eldo and Seville, IIRC. So it's already proven to work with the 4.9. (I hated my Deville 2.97s.)

Edit - Here's another link from Sinister. Your 4T60E probably already has the 3.33 gears, but in order to realize that final ratio, you will need to swap in a 35/35 sprocket set. Yours probably has the 37/33 set.
http://www.gmtuners.com/ima...FWD_trans_ratios.pdf

This link tells you how to identify exactly which trans you have.
http://www.gmtuners.com/transmission/index.htm

The 3.71 only came in the 4T80E. I promise that that's not what you have. Not if it came bolted to your 4.9.

Yes you can get better low performance by changing the sprockets. Its a medium difficulty job. Its been a while, but I do recall that the pump housing , pump shaft, valve body and input shaft need to be removed to gain access to the sprockets. In other words almost everything under the rear cover. I do not recommend this job for the amateur.

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 01-14-2020).]

PFF
System Bot
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2020 08:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

According to this chart, the best I can hope for is a transmission with or modification to 3.33. Will that be good enough gearing?

http://www.gmtuners.com/tra...sion/1993_4T60-E.pdf
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2020 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I think it is.
I've had mine for twelve years, puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2020 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

According to this chart, the best I can hope for is a transmission with or modification to 3.33. Will that be good enough gearing?

http://www.gmtuners.com/tra...sion/1993_4T60-E.pdf

If you used the 33/37 chain ratio from the 3CWW model code with the 3.33 diff from any of the several model codes that had it, you'd end up with 3.73 overall. That's a lot of gear for a low revving 4.9 though.
fierobear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2020 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

If you used the 33/37 chain ratio from the 3CWW model code with the 3.33 diff from any of the several model codes that had it, you'd end up with 3.73 overall. That's a lot of gear for a low revving 4.9 though.

I suppose I should define what I want from the swap. Basically, a street car with really good acceleration. I don’t care much about high end speed and “revs”. I don’t need to go much above the speed limit. I might take it to the track for drivers school occasionally. Otherwise, get to freeway speed quickly then cruise.
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2020 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What speed to you want to cruise at on the freeway?
What rear tire size do you have?
How high of an engine RPM would you find tolerable at your chosen freeway cruise speed?

If you can answer those questions, and you want the lowest possible ratio for really good acceleration, then your problem is fully defined with a simple answer.
sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2020 08:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

I think it is.
I've had mine for twelve years, puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.

What size rear tire do you run?
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2020 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Typically 225-60-15 or 245-45-17

2100 rpm at 70 mph

sourmash

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
User Banned

Report this Post01-15-2020 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sourmashSend a Private Message to sourmashEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A 4.5 w/ Eldo trans I drive sometimes feels like it needs a shorter tire. But I'm not totally positive it's still the stock size. 90% sure.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock