Steering rack broken by go faster
Started on: 01-12-2020 08:47 PM
Replies: 11 (721 views)
Last post by: Steven89 on 05-20-2021 06:54 PM
go faster

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2020 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for go fasterClick Here to visit go faster's HomePageSend a Private Message to go fasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Getting ready to install the tie rods and found that the steering rack is broken at the seam on the right side where the stabilizer attaches. There is a lot of corrosion in that area and I’m wondering if this is repairable. The car is a 1986 SE 3.4. Thanks will check back to give any more information or see what is possible with repairs.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
wftb

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2020 01:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wftbSend a Private Message to wftbEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is a lot of corrosion. What does your frame look like? I would check the upper frame rails before deciding to spend any money. Take the rear inner fender liners off to check for damage.

You could probably find someone to weld that up but you should get a rebuild kit from Rodney Dickman. I have not checked to see if rebuild racks are still available through a parts store lately.

You should be able to get a good used one by putting a" wanting to buy" add in the mall section of this forum.

------------------
86 GT built 2.2 ecotec turbo
rear SLA suspension
QA1 coilovers on tube arms

go faster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2020 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for go fasterClick Here to visit go faster's HomePageSend a Private Message to go fasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The car is solid. Checked autozone and cardon? None to be found. Just want to check be for I purchase another one. Thanks for the information.
RandomTask

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 150
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2020 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RandomTaskSend a Private Message to RandomTaskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rack is roached; get a new one.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2020 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero steering racks are getting very difficult to find. Best bet is to try and locate a used one from a parts car, then rebuild it . A steering rack specialty company or swap for the F body unit might work but that would mean adapting power steering.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2021 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree, it's trashed. I don't thing it's worth even trying to weld it together.

If you can't find a replacement Fiero steering rack, you might try one from another car. In the early 1990'swhen we moved t Australia, I looked into bringing my '86SEover. I would have had to convert it from LHD to RHD. One of the companies that I talked to were doing conversions using the RHD steering racks from a Volvo 240. Maybe a rack from a LHD Volvo 240 will work for you.

I never went through with the conversion. I waited until the cars timed out and didn't have to be converted before bringing them over. I'm pretty sure that AusFiero's car is converted to RHD so he might be able to tell you it his car had the rack swapped and if so, what they used.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2021 08:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I still have the steering rack from my '87 Fiero. It's a rebuilt unit with low miles. Tie rods are still attached. I'm not sure what shipping would cost (it's about 5 feet long with the tie rods). But that's an option for you.
go faster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2021 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for go fasterClick Here to visit go faster's HomePageSend a Private Message to go fasterEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I replaced the rack. I used mall and found a member selling parts. The car is on the road working out the bugs.

Thanks for the information.
Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2021 10:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
cool
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2021 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check the posts above with the embedded links. SPAM. Reported.
reinhart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2021 04:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You've already found a replacement but for others that read this in the future, if the rack is cracked like that on the outside, most likely the inside is trashed from dirt and grime getting inside and being mashed up between the rack and pinion gear. Even if the outside could be repaired, the inside wouldn't be. That's a replacement item.
Steven89

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-20-2021 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven89Send a Private Message to Steven89Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Okay, that's even better, safety over everything.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock