headlight/turn signal wiring by altownsend
Started on: 01-12-2020 12:47 AM
Replies: 10 (550 views)
Last post by: altownsend on 01-14-2020 09:27 PM
altownsend

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2020 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for altownsendSend a Private Message to altownsendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1986 V-6 Fiero, 4-speed

Someone has chopped and pieced the wiring for recently purchased 1986 Fiero. The headlights work, but, I need to confirm the parking lights wiring, turn signal lighting, and the side marker lighting wiring. Please give me a breakdown of the color of the wiring, including grounding. I found the brown wires to have power when activating the lights/parking lights. I need the side marker and the turn signal lights wiring. I think that I have the side marker lights, I just need to replace the bulbs to confirm.

So, in short, I need the turn signal wring info (color and to know if they need to be grounded under the front hood). Thanks in advance.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2020 06:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Brown is the power to the marker and parking lights.

Black is the ground, the attachment is on the spaceframe beside the headlight mechanisms, one on each side.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2020 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
is possible is upgraded to have Gen2 HL motors.
Look at HL motors
OE has 3 wires and 2 plugs
Gen2 only has 2 wires ends w/ 1 plug

other lights are more complicated and post later.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2020 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Here is a schematic I found online for 1986 Fiero exterior light wiring;

Also, after you have got everything working, keep a look out for a 87-88 Fiero in the junkyards near you (Check row 52) and grab the front compartment wiring harness, then swap it and the newer headlight motors in- much better system and easier to get parts for them (Motors and modules were used in F-birds from 1987-1992)

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 01-12-2020).]

altownsend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2020 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for altownsendSend a Private Message to altownsendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the information. I am finding that a lot of mods were done by previous owner. I just need to n to see if there is a solution for my turn signals. I purchased the Fiero headlights with mechanisms and wire harness from someone on line. I need to first get the turn signals working to have a working system.

Brown for parking lights and side markers, got it.

Now, I have lots of cut wires, and I am finding constant 12 volts on a few of them while keyed 12 bolts on others. However, when I test for turn signals (confirming that the rear ones are working), I do not locate turn signals through testing.

Perhaps, some can tell me the color wires coming from the fire wall for turn signals, and I can track back to that point to find turn signals. Thanks again
altownsend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2020 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for altownsendSend a Private Message to altownsendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

altownsend

79 posts
Member since Sep 2019
by the way, the Fiero lighting for the front had been removed.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2020 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The OEM wire colors are on the schematic posted above.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2020 01:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is from 86 Fiero FSM... Ignore A B C arrows. Is for rear lights.
CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

It has all right colors etc. C100 is big connection at front "firewall" near where S-column.

Park/turn sockets have 3 wires... Park Turn and Ground. Turn should be connected to Bright side of bulb. Park to Dim side. Ground to bulb ground.

how front side markers work...
See my Cave, LED Marker Light only need first section
Fiero and some others must have this setup to meet laws/rules in most US states and some other countries because front park/turn is not visible except for narrow view for people in the front of car. Even if states doesn't have inspection... Can still have problems w/ Insurance etc after a wreck w/ crap lights.

If you have to replace HL motors too.... Get Gen2 setup now.

If cut whole front... likely need Rad Fan wiring too.
Big red and Grn/wht is for this goes to a relay to run the fan.
See my Cave, Rad Fan
altownsend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2020 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for altownsendSend a Private Message to altownsendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
thanks, folks, this is great information. I will review at the car and apply logic to secure a solution.

Now, I got the wiring harness with the headlights that I bought off of Face Book. I have it laid out now to confirm all parts. I have the wiring harness from the fuse block at the firewall, and it includes the fan wiring. So, again, I will lay it out at the car and determine if I need to replace what I have or simply do mild modifications to make what I have work.

I noticed the green wires: single on one side and double green on the other side I need to find out what these operate.
altownsend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2020 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for altownsendSend a Private Message to altownsendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Message coming
altownsend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2020 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for altownsendSend a Private Message to altownsendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

altownsend

79 posts
Member since Sep 2019
Update:

All lights, including front park, turn signals, side markers are working as expected. I had to do some re-engineering/re-routing wiring to get everything to work on the turn signal/4-way flasher/parking lights.

I had issues with the gauges. I took it all apart and re installed. Volt meter now works, temperature gauge does not peg out. I did not start the engine to see if the temp gauge is working. Fuel gauge now reads below empty. there might be a sending unit issue.

I have an issue with the tach. There is a purple wire leading from the tach gauge to the wire harness connector. I noticed that the other side of the connector pin does no have a wire, I have the following wires loose, so can anyone tell me if one of them is the tach wire?

Colors are Green, Brown with black stripe, and brown

PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock