Stock FRONT Sway Bar Size? by USMUCL
Started on: 01-07-2020 09:52 AM
Replies: 17 (656 views)
Last post by: Spadesluck on 02-21-2020 01:48 PM
USMUCL

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2020 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1986 SE V6 4-speed.

What size is my stock front sway bar?

I don't have the car handy to measure, and I want to order the bushings. Moog lists for the 86 Fiero a bushing for "13/16" and smaller bar" (K5242), as well as a bushing for a "7/8" and larger bar" (K3110).

I would have assumed the 7/8 was only the aftermarket upgrades, but found lots of conflicting info.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
USMUCL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2020 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Moog is calling the larger bushing "22mm" and the smaller bushing "20mm."

At least one post on this site says the stock sway bar is 23mm. Obviously, that's the larger bushing.

If that's the case, why does Moog even have the smaller, 20mm bushing?
Gall757

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2020 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gall757Send a Private Message to Gall757Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This thread has all the sizes:

88 sway bar sizes

[This message has been edited by Gall757 (edited 01-07-2020).]

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2020 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does your car have WS6 or Y99?

That may affect things.
USMUCL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2020 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gall757:

88 sway bar sizes

Yes, sir, I saw that. One person says the 84-87 front size is 23mm (with the 88 being 28mm and the 88 rear 22mm).

But, the fact Moog also offers the 20mm for our cars makes me take pause.
USMUCL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2020 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

USMUCL

591 posts
Member since Jan 2017

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

Does your car have WS6 or Y99?

That may affect things.

Hmmmm. Would that have been options for an 86 SE?

Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2020 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am a visual guy. Here is my stock 87 front bar and aftermarket Fiero Store bar measurements:

[This message has been edited by Spadesluck (edited 01-07-2020).]

USMUCL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2020 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, guys.

I guess all signs point to needing the 7/8 (22mm) bushings.

I can't find any instance where the smaller, 13/16 (20mm) would be applicable. But, I'd assume they do it for some reason.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2020 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My original 1985 WS6 front stabilizer bar was 23 mm but I picked up another bar in the JY that is 22 mm...I believe that one came off an 86 GT.....

Amazingly, I swapped them a couple of times and never noticed any difference....(I have the 88 rear subframe/suspension on my 85...plus some odd mods to make it handle better...)
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2020 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The smaller bar may have been used on non-WS6 '84's only. I think I've heard some rumors about that.
USMUCL

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2020 01:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USMUCLSend a Private Message to USMUCLEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would have thought the 22 and 23mm bars were one in the same.

I guess the 84s being different makes sense.
PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-07-2020 05:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I was actually surprised that it was smaller- but without a rear bar it would make some sense if they were trying to back off the understeer a bit in later GTs.

I grabbed it because A) I wanted to test if it would change my handling (Not much if any) and also, B) My "Crazy stabilizer bar mounting theories" put the arms at an angle so the rubber end-link bushings were not happy- I had my race shop buddy cut the ends on one of the bars and weld them on at a angle.....
Z3SpdDmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2020 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Z3SpdDmnSend a Private Message to Z3SpdDmnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Are all bars being mentioned solid? Or all tubular? A 20mm solid bar would be ~roughly~ equivalent to a 23mm tubular, but the solid bar would be heavier in relation to its stiffness.

I just bought the last set of ADDCO bars that The Fiero Store had, for my '88 GT. I recall seeing that the front was something over an inch and the rear was an inch, or so, but now I'm wondering what I bought and how they compare to stock. 28mm front and 22mm rear are pretty beefy. They're mounted pretty far out on the control arms, so their motion ratio isn't even bad.

Does anyone know if the stock bars are hollow/tubular or solid? If the stock bars are hollow and these ADDCO bars are just the same size, but solid, I'm gonna be a little peeved. I bought them as a knee jerk reaction and didn't investigate as I should have.

------------------
Anthony

'88 Fiero GT 5-spd "barn find"
www.DriveFasterNow.com

cvxjet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2020 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All the Fiero bars are solid.....The rear 88 bar is One-to-one ratio, as it is attached to the strut/spindle directly. The front bar appears to be around 90%.

I did some odd things to my stabilizer bar mounting to get better turn-in and less DTO....Most mid-engine cars are not very "Tossable" but mine is; Turn-in is almost telepathic and yet DTO is so mild that it almost doesn't exist...

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/140674.html
Z3SpdDmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2020 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Z3SpdDmnSend a Private Message to Z3SpdDmnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

All the Fiero bars are solid.....The rear 88 bar is One-to-one ratio, as it is attached to the strut/spindle directly. The front bar appears to be around 90%.

I did some odd things to my stabilizer bar mounting to get better turn-in and less DTO....Most mid-engine cars are not very "Tossable" but mine is; Turn-in is almost telepathic and yet DTO is so mild that it almost doesn't exist...

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/140674.html

That was a good read and good experimentation on your part. I believe the result of your experiment could be attributed to having dialed in more understeer via lateral load transfer bias (reducing DTO), but improved turn-in with that much stiffer front bar. Props for coming up with a way to fine tune your bars since you don't have adjustable bars with various holes to easily affect the overall stiffness and resulting lateral load transfer bias.

I've been through this type of tuning on OEM work (I was the vehicle dynamics performance engineer on the Charger/Challenger/300 a couple years ago). For example, in a package I was tuning for the Challenger R/T, reducing the front bar stiffness resulted in a slower initial steering response, but reduced understeer once the weight transferred.

In the case of bushings, they're effectively only changing the response of the bar to the input. Not so much outright rate. There was some discussion on rubber bushings adding rate and "bonded" bushings are used in some OEM applications to add rate to the bar without adding mass. In non-bonded bushings, like ours, they would only affect response and compliance.

Also note that in pure pitch and dive scenarios, the bars are not in the picture at all because both sides move together. They do not add any spring rate. I'm not sure if that was fully understood or not from the post.

Cheers,

------------------
Anthony

www.DriveFasterNow.com

[This message has been edited by Z3SpdDmn (edited 01-22-2020).]

fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post01-27-2020 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How would you factor in Rodney Dickmans zero-lash sway bar end links? I installed them and the handling felt more responsive in turns, with lighter steering feel. It was like being able to steer with finger tips. What are your opinions?
Z3SpdDmn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2020 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Z3SpdDmnSend a Private Message to Z3SpdDmnEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierobear:

How would you factor in Rodney Dickmans zero-lash sway bar end links? I installed them and the handling felt more responsive in turns, with lighter steering feel. It was like being able to steer with finger tips. What are your opinions?

Similarly to the mounting bushings, they are improving response. You don't have to "push through" the compression of the end link bushings before the forces of the bar really start to build up. I'd imaine that the car would feel more responsive on initial steering input and as the weight first starts to transfer. It would have no effect in steady-state cornering, but WOULD have an effect in the more immediate transmission of bumps through the bar.
Your experience seems consistent with my expectations.

------------------
Anthony

www.DriveFasterNow.com

Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-21-2020 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I changed mine out to the zero lash ends not to long ago. I have not really given the car hell since doing it but the design is much better than that of the stock stuff. \

Pic for reference Rears:

Fronts:

[This message has been edited by Spadesluck (edited 02-21-2020).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock