Wimpy Wiper Washer spray by edfiero
Started on: 12-02-2019 12:35 PM
Replies: 11 (288 views)
Last post by: Notorio on 01-29-2020 12:06 PM
edfiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2019 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a new Washer motor/Pump, but very sorry excuse for spray.
With the engine off, the fluid just dribbles out of the squirters, while with the engine running, I get spray up the windshield only about half way.

Going a step further, I see I have only 7.5 volts at the pump with the engine off and around 10 volts with the engine running.

Battery is fully charged, car starts fine, no other voltage problems.

Anyone know what is the expected voltage at the pump, and if there is a splice or connector in the Pump circuit I could check for corrosion? Suggestions to improve my spray ?? Seems like I need to get the voltage at the pump back up to 12-13 volts to return the spray to the days of old.

I like firing off some 'chaff' when I have guys tailgating me.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Cajun

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2019 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CajunSend a Private Message to CajunEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The washer pump needs 12vdc. What year & engine do you have? I will check the appropriate wiring diagram.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2019 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Often low volts at 1 thing or three is only a symptom for iffy grounds etc anywhere in a car.
See my Cave, Electric Motors etc.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2019 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cajun:

The washer pump needs 12vdc. What year & engine do you have? I will check the appropriate wiring diagram.

84 Super Duke

edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2020 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Still looking for additional ideas on this.

I checked the voltage at the wiper fuse yesterday and its close to 11 with the engine off. So how do I drop 3 volts from the fuse to the pump?

(I did try splicing in an additional ground wire at the pump to a known good ground, however that did nothing for the problem.)

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2020 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I might be mistaken, but isn't the washer pump fed through one of the relays on the bulkhead?
(I know that one of them is for the high blower speed.)
One of my relays (or the socket) was killing my high speed blower switch setting.

------------------
Raydar
88 Formula IMSA Fastback. 4.9, NVG T550

Praise the Lowered!

edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2020 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I hate threads that never have a conclusion so let me close the loop on this one.
My whimpy washer spray was solved after the installation of a new WIPER motor.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2020 06:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Delay board and motor is grounded thru 1 motor mount point and likely old wiper motor had problem w/ that ground point.
plus all wires go thru C100.

Washer pump get power and is grounded Inside the cabin passing thru C100 twice.
So could be other connections have issues too.
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-24-2020 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a simple question. When was the last time your squirter worked as it should (from the factory)? My guess is you ‘cleaned’ out the squirter in order for your upgrade to work at its best. The issue is the squirter mechanism has an exact circumference. If the (swifter) hole-size was modified, in any way, the sprayers effect will be GREATLY negativity impacted! In your case, you now have a horrible spray onto the windshield. And consequently you can no longer assist the cleaning if the windshield of the car behind you. Simply change your squirter peice, (the gray/black item) that is connected to the rubber peice from the reservoir, back to the stock Pontiac item. I’m positive my thoughts will fix your issues!!!
Cordially,
Kevin
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2020 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kevin:
I have a simple question. When was the last time your squirter worked as it should (from the factory)? My guess is you ‘cleaned’ out the squirter in order for your upgrade to work at its best. The issue is the squirter mechanism has an exact circumference. If the (swifter) hole-size was modified, in any way, the sprayers effect will be GREATLY negativity impacted! In your case, you now have a horrible spray onto the windshield. And consequently you can no longer assist the cleaning if the windshield of the car behind you. Simply change your squirter peice, (the gray/black item) that is connected to the rubber peice from the reservoir, back to the stock Pontiac item. I’m positive my thoughts will fix your issues!!!
Cordially,
Kevin
The "gray/black item" is nothing but a check valve so lines stay filled and spray sooner then cars w/o it.
Many just put some tube to connect the line ends when this breaks and Often does that when tank has water or "summer" cleaner mix in winter.
See my Cave, Windshield Wipe at bottom to see taken apart.
If find all parts can glue it back together.

Most washer pumps don't have a check valve on/in them. Most don't even have a screen to block dirt in the tank.
Some tanks have screens at filling hole but most don't. So best is to prevent crap getting in when you fill them.

Spray pattern is done by the spray heads and needs proper pressure and volume from the pump.
Low volts is one part causing low pressure. Crap in tank pick up by pump and pinch line(s) are common problems.
Less problem is someone pushed crap in the spray head(s) and wreck it/them.

Spray pattern is so spray properly at highway speeds. Yes Fiero and some others overshoots the glass or even the car at low speeds or stopped.
Some cars have spray heads that are easy adjustable but Fiero isn't one. The only adjustment is installing wedges/shims at mounting bolt per Fiero FSM.

Notes:
The check valve is why Fiero and some other will "Leak" cleaner in a turn. Lat G makes fluid to move in the top between spray heads and is "normal."
I tell most people never use "summer" mix because most won't use it before winter. More so w/ many cars take a whole gallon in the tank(s). "Summer" mix has less/no alcohol and many stores don't carry winter mix in spring/summer. I think make more profit, state/fed epa bs or both. I try to make sure I buy 1 or 2 extra gallons in winter. If runs out in summer and can't get winter mix, only fill minimum amount to get by on a trip.
ETA-->Prestone De-Icer and related have Ethylene Glycol same as Engine Coolant. May help keep from freezing spray on the glass but causes other problems. I don't use them in the car. I get a gallon to fill spray bottles to quickly remove heavy frost and ice. Crack ice w/ the teeth on many ice scrappers and spray. Cheaper then small bottles/cans sold in stores.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 01-25-2020).]

edfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2020 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edfieroSend a Private Message to edfieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kevin:

Cordially,
Kevin

I don't doubt dirt in the line, squirters, or kinked line,etc could cause some cars a problem.
However my problem was purely a voltage problem. In the course of troubleshooting this problem, I ran the battery jumper cables directly from the battery to washer pump and was greeted by a blast of spray so strong I think more of it sailed over the roof of the car than hit the windshield. With this result it was clear what I needed was just more voltage.

I didn't dig into the old motor to investigate further, but what Orge says is probably the ultimate source of the problem.
PFF
System Bot
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2020 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by edfiero:
I like firing off some 'chaff' when I have guys tailgating me.

You just inspired me

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock