Battery by mljosey
Started on: 12-01-2019 07:51 AM
Replies: 16 (376 views)
Last post by: Larryinkc on 12-08-2019 09:14 AM
mljosey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 07:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mljoseySend a Private Message to mljoseyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1986 Fiero We, v6. I am looking into batteries, getting tired of having to replace it as they seem to always expire right before the warranty. Any one try an AGM, or have any experience/opinion on them? (All ready have a shut off switch I use every time.)
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 09:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I will never buy another OPTIMA
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Many Batteries Brands are owned and made by Johnson Controls.
Most of those are same but marked up to sell by Auto Parts stores, Sears, etc.
I just get Walmart EverStart Maxx also a JC battery w/ 2 year free replacement then 3 years prorated.

Note that all cars will drain the battery if parked for weeks to months. Important for winter because low charge battery freezes, often very easily, and that will ruin them even if they charge after thawing.

Repeatedly dead batteries are often a symptom of other problems.
See my Cave, Battery etc.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

FX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FXSend a Private Message to FXEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have had bad luck with AGM's in cars and motorcycles. Good luck with Interstate maintenance free batteries. Interstate also makes bats for many different outlets. Delco good too
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wanted to chime in here- My battery went dead twice in three months- could not figure out where the drain was.

Later, rebuilt my left HL motor.....tried it for the second time and it started overheating.....(The RH one stayed cool)...The next day I was showing a friend and happened to >Touch< the knob on top of the motor (RH motor)....As we were leaving the garage I heard a little noise- went over and felt the RH motor...HOT and getting hotter!

I have now switched to the 87-88 headlight motors- I believe that those old motors were turning on by themselves in the middle of the night and draining the battery. I have also installed a relay in the big red wire for the motors that only allows power if you have the key on- so if you park and walk away, the motors can't start and drain the battery or overheat and catch fire! (The old motors have a thermal switch but it is not very durable and when it goes.....Fiiiii-Re!!!!(Old Ohio Players song)

I will endeavor to post an install guide for my relay..........
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

The US Made Optimas were excellent as they used virgin lead. When they moved manufacturing to Mexico, they began using recycled lead and the impurities in it caused quality and usable life to go down. US Made Odyssey batteries use virgin lead and they will last
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FX:
Have had bad luck with AGM's in cars and motorcycles. Good luck with Interstate maintenance free batteries. Interstate also makes bats for many different outlets. Delco good too
Interstate and Delco batteries are just another JC brand...
Interstate w/ higher price often sold to parts stores and shops in Franchise trucks same thing as Snap-on et al for tools.
Delphi sold all battery designs names etc to JC years ago after went Bankrupt. GM and ACdelco gets all batteries from JC w/ a huge make up to attach the name.
Plus you pay for Ad cost for TV etc.

ACDelco is just a name attach like Kenmore is to Sears. They don't make anything now. Worse often have far less or no warranty on most parts vs AZ etc.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

theogre

32235 posts
Member since Mar 99

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
The US Made Optimas were excellent as they used virgin lead. When they moved manufacturing to Mexico, they began using recycled lead and the impurities in it caused quality and usable life to go down. US Made Odyssey batteries use virgin lead and they will last
EPA et al is Why all lead batteries use only recycle lead now and not just in the US. EPA and others love to wave a flag that they force closed the last Lead Smelter in North America that process lead ore into useful lead. Primary Smelting is a whole different animal vs Secondary Smelting to make batteries and everything else. EPA wants to close as many of the Secondary plants too.

If you find Any batteries w/ claims made w/ "virgin lead" then:
Most are lying to you.
Some might still have "Old Stock" pure lead that will dry up.
Others are getting "virgin lead" from China Peru etc.
Others are getting whole batteries from foreign countries.
All are going to Cost way more then standard wet cells.
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2019 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The last 3 batteries I've purchased (for different vehicles) have been from Costco. Best warranty & lowest cost around here for the listed specs.
yamaha94

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2019 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for yamaha94Send a Private Message to yamaha94Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I second that. The original kirkland battery on my car lasted 10 years and I replaced it two years ago with no issues what-so-ever. Best value and warrenty.

[This message has been edited by yamaha94 (edited 12-02-2019).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2019 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Bad news... Johnson Controls completes sale of its battery business last spring. I missed that.
https://www.jsonline.com/st...-company/3638011002/

I finally found an easy list of band vs made by...
https://www.cartechbooks.com/techtips/battery/
Your Costco is JC now called Clarios

Says Exide and JC made Sears and Walmart.
I use WM Maxx not the value ones.
PFF
System Bot
fierce_gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2019 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierce_gtSend a Private Message to fierce_gtEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

i'd be leery about buying one now, very expensive and i'm not confident with the new ones.

but, to be fair, i did have one that was remarkable(not in my fiero) and i transferred it into three different vehicles before I no longer had one that could fit it. i had two 'smaller' red tops before getting the 'big one' that really sucked though. My alarm would 'kill' a battery in about 3days if i didn't run the car and re-charge it. Was hoping the optima's would handle this better, but they did not.

nowadays i tend to stick with costco batteries. they seem to be about as good as any other, and i don't have to spend over $200 for one
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2019 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I put an Optima in my V8 Formula in 2010. It lasted until 2016. The replacement was very expensive and is junk already. Always stored inside during the cold season.
I wouldnt pay 50ยข for one.
sledcaddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-06-2019 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sledcaddieSend a Private Message to sledcaddieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Isn't a main advantage of an AGM battery in a Fiero is that they can't boil over and eat away the battery box?
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2019 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a Dyna-Batt in mine (fieroguru uses one with his LS4). I have not had any problems with it at all. I have only had it a few months but I want to say fieroguru has used his for 3 years now.

Dyna-Batt
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2019 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Spadesluck

2069 posts
Member since Jul 2016

I put an Optima in my V8 Formula in 2010. It lasted until 2016. The replacement was very expensive and is junk already. Always stored inside during the cold season.
I wouldnt pay 50ยข for one.

I have had a few red tops crap out on me under warranty. Not a big fan of Optima anymore. Honestly most batteries seem to have a shorter life span anymore. Whereas i could go about 5 years before replacing a battery and now it seems around 3 I am replacing them. Could just be me though.
Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-08-2019 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use a Duracell AGM from Sams Club in my daily driver. It was still good but I replaced it at 8 years because I was going on an extended road trip and didn't want to take the chance having any battery problems during the trip. I use Odyessy AGM batteries in my Fiero and motorcycles and usually get at least 8 years service from them also. I charge the Odyessy batteries once a month during the off season with an Odyessy charger to maintain them.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock