Started on: 11-24-2019 01:04 PM
Replies: 4 (308 views)
Last post by: pmbrunelle on 11-26-2019 12:44 AM
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2019 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm modifying my wiring harness for my souped up engine, so I want to redo the wiring for the stock fuel pump relay.

I've taken a peek inside the relay connector, and visually the terminals appear to be the following:

Coil: Metri-Pack 280 unsealed
Contacts: Metri-Pack 480 unsealed

Can anyone confirm my suspicions? (before I go buying the wrong terminals and discovering that they don't fit)

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 11-24-2019).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2019 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Why not upgrade the original fuel pump relay to the newer 95+ GM version (full size cars) and the pigtail connector with it. Better relay and you won't have to deal with that black nasty goooy stuff. Go to your Pick_N-Pull with a pair of wire snips and fill your basket. I used them on my 3800sc swap.

Spoon
Edit to add... I found a link.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...160323-2-121280.html

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

[This message has been edited by Spoon (edited 11-24-2019).]

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2019 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That is very cool; I didn't know about that.

I just did some sealed Metri-Pack connections for some other items, so I'm already set up with regards to my crimping dies and such...

The only possible issue I can see from phonedawgz's photos is that when installed in the stock relay hanger, the relay skirts look like they may touch each other.
However, on my car, I bent the stock relay hanger to follow the shock tower's curvature, so that should give more clearance between the relays:

The other minor issue is that with stock Fiero wiring, one unsealed terminal has two wires going into it. That wouldn't work with a cable seal; a separate splice would be needed. Not a big problem.

Well, you've given me something to consider... either I keep my Fiero more period-correct, or I spend a bit more coin for the newer sealed stuff. Under the decklid vent where I have placed the relays, better sealing may be a good thing.

Regardless of which relay family I select, I guess it's a good idea to purchase brand-new relays during an engine rebuild... in that case, staying with the original family does not constitute a cost saving.

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 11-24-2019).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2019 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero and most GM relay plugs from 80's are likely Not Metri-Pack type tho may be sold under that name now.
Only a few connections are Metri-Pack on 87-88 Fiero and this isn't one.

Most older GM Relay and other plugs are made in a "Packard" type and when used externally need "Bulb Grease," AKA "Cosmoline" grease to keep out crap/"water."
example: http://terminalsupplyco.com...LL=DEL010&PCAT=54228 click "PDF" in a line item for more

I think to Release... use small flat screwdriver in front then pull out the back.
Sim to See my Cave, Defect & Connection notes step 2.

That way can see the "pin" to compare to others.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 11-25-2019).]

pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2019 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm using this Delphi catalog as a reference (probably out of date since Delphi is now Aptiv, but for classic car restoration I don't think that matters):
https://www.powerandsignal....Global%20Catalog.pdf

I depinnined the terminals from the relay, and they were a visual match with:

Page 80: 280 Female Terminals Unsealed
Page 98: 480 Female Terminals Unsealed

A visual catalog match does not constitute positive identification.

Since I will probably do a mouser order this week for the new relay parts identified by phonedawgz, I may also order some Metri-Pack unsealed terminals, in order to close this thread with useful information.

I should be able to test the Metri-Pack terminals in the stock relay connector next weekend when I'm with my Fiero (and take pics too).

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 11-26-2019).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock